2nd Trimester

I CANT SLEEP! Dr recommended Benadryl

Lately I have been getting about 4 hours of sleep a night.  For some reason, when I lie down, I get restless legs and I end up on the couch.  Anyway, the dr recommended benadryl. Has anyone had an experience with this? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I CANT SLEEP! Dr recommended Benadryl

• i'm about 2 weeks into bad allergies, and i take 2 (25mg) before bed every night now. means i get at least 4-6 hours of really good sleep!  its the only allergy meds my dr is ok with so far and seems to help me not wake up snarfy all night.

and as an added benefit, it helps me sleep.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Not sure if you mean can't sleep or benadryl.

Since I've been pregnant I haven't taken benadryl - but I have taken it many times in the past - and sometimes - honestly to help me sleep.  It works.  I can tell you this - my coworker that did IVF took Benadryl exclusively from the time she was trying through her whole pregnancy for her allergies - it was the only medication that was 100% safe in her eyes.  She was very cautious.  SO if you are asking about the benadryl - its an old drug that I believe is in Catagory A or B - I know it was the only allergy drug I thought I could take (I can take Zyrtec it turns out) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've only taken it once this time but last time I took it daily for allergies! I would def try it for sleep.
  • My doctor told me to use Benadryl for sleep also. I also have horrific allergies so it's like killing two birds with one stone for me. I've been taking it every night since the beginning of April. Works like a charm. 
  • I take Benadryl to help with allergies. It never makes me sleepy but I have never found a drug that has made me sleepy. I hope it works for you! 
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • I've taken benadryl and unisom, I think I prefer unisom.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Benadryl gives me horrific restless legs, so my doctor told me to take Tylenol PM if necessary.  GL!
  • My Dr recommended TylenolPM which he said is basically Tylenol with an anti-histamine. I used it during my last pregnancy to sleep. 
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • I have taken Unisom (regular, doxylamine succinate) daily since 8 weeks or so for nausea. It really, really works... more recently I have tried to stop taking it because I figured nausea wouldn't be an issue this far along, but if I go two days without it, I spend the third day puking. It's awful and I am now aware that I'll be taking it until this kiddo is born.

As an added bonus, it does help me sleep. It's great. Before pregnancy I took benadryl quite often as a sleep aid... I'd say unisom gives me a very similar feeling, although not as strong. I can resist the urge to sleep when I take it while with benadryl once it kicks in I feel very antsy and jittery until I go to sleep.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • imageMrsCharlieRN:
    My doctor told me to use Benadryl for sleep also. I also have horrific allergies so it's like killing two birds with one stone for me. I've been taking it every night since the beginning of April. Works like a charm. 

This is the same for me....although I was told not to take it every night, so I haven't. I take it when I feel like I'm going to die of exhaustion or die of allergies! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • as a PP pointed out, most active ingredients in over the counter sleep aids is diphenhydramine, which is just benadryl, so, save your money on tylenol PM and just get the generic benadryl
    Brought home an extra special souvenir from vacation! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It definitely helps you sleep but I will NEVER be taking it while pregnant again!

LOL I almost peed the bed after i took it one night before bed time...I had to run to the bathroom!! It was probably just me but good luck! 

• I have always had a problem sleeping and durring this pregnancy I have seen 3 Dr's who all said Tylenol PM was just fine to take. I take it every night or else I get zero sleep.
    BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor said it was okay to take Unisom for sleeplessness in moderation. Every now and then, if I'm having a particularly difficult night, I just take one, and I feel okay. My only worry is, when I do, the baby doesn't move much for the whole night, and pretty much the whole next day, either. That gets me worried...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • During my first trimester I took 2 benadryl every night. I was so sick, it was the only way I could sleep through the night. During my last pregnancy I also took it most nights of my 3rd tri once sleep started to evade me.
    imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"