Philadelphia Babies
Options

Birth Center, Anyone?

I'm told the Birth Center at Bryn Mawr is the only game in town, although you could make the trip to wilmington if you wanted to do a water birth... Just wondering if anyone was going there or had been there before. We're there now, I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow. Just wondering what other people's experiences have been...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Center, Anyone?

• Options
    I know! I got in before I was pregnant because I heard it fills up. :) I have just been getting a bunch of flack for my choices of late and was wondering if anyone else had done it there and could tell me if its as bad as everyone seems to say it is. This is our first baby, and people are scaring the crap out of me about delivery...
  • Options

I was a BC client for my first child and ended up at Bryn Mawr for a c/s.  I had an ok experience with them.  They were definitely supportive and laid back.  They did accompany me to the hospital when they decided to transfer me but I didn't feel that I got much support from them after that.  I changed hospitals and used a different midwife for my second pregnancy (since TBC can't do VBACs) and had a much better experience.

Many people I know who went to TBC had great experiences, so I think I am in the minority, though.  Don't let people scare you about delivery.  TBC is a great option if you are looking to go intervention free- but they do have a high transfer rate.  And I hear they don't transfer to Bryn Mawr anymore unless it is an emergency.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mzovocemzovoce member
    Also a BC momma, and I can't say enough good things about them. You are going a non-traditional US route, which scares people. They are projecting their fears on you. I would politely tell them to mind their own business, or at least respect your educated decision.
  • Options

I'm a TBC mama and loved my experience.  I was worried about what my dad and father-in-law (both doctors) would think about our choice, but they were both okay with it.  I think they knew how important it was to us and how in line with our values it was.

It can be difficult when those you love make you feel hesitation about your choices.  Remember to do what feels best for you and your family.

The biggest thing for me was feeling trust in myself and in my health care practitioners.  That took so much fear and anxiety away and left me feeling confident and empowered.

If you have more questions about my experience and you want to talk more, feel free to message me.

Sending you love and support,

Xandra  

• Options
    I'm kind of scared about the delivery process as a whole. I don't know anybody that planned to have a natural delivery and then actually had one. My sister wanted an epidural, but it wore off before her son was born and it was too late to give her more. My cousin's second labor went much quicker than expected and she also ran out of time. If you did deliver naturally in a place like the birth center, where they let you move around as you see fit, is giving birth really as horrible and agonizing as everyone says? I'm not a sissy, pain doesn't scare me, but my entire family telling me they thought they were dying it hurt so bad kinda does...
  • Options

We've been pretty happy with them so far, although driving out to Bryn Mawr is getting to be a pain. My wife's biggest complaint is that you don't have a specific midwife assigned to you, so it's not as familiar or caring a relationship as she had with her midwife last time (in a different city).

• Options
    I can't speak from direct experience, being the one who isn't pushing the baby out, but I'm told theres a lot to be said for letting nature take its course in a low-risk pregnancy. The horror stories seem to come from over-medicalized births, whereas a natural birth may hurt like hell but is easier to cope with. Again, so I hear... Good luck, either way!
  • Options

I had my daughter at the birth center in Bryn Mawr almost exactly 1 year ago!  She'll be 1 on july 13th.  I had a natural birth and she was my first child.  I just had the mindset that i was going to do it no matter what and that the hospital was not an option for me.  Nothing went wrong and i had a normal pregnancy.  I went into labor at like 1am slept until like 6am, labored at home until around noon when i thought i was getting close to transition, got to the birth center at 12:30pm and was 9 cm!   I pushed for 5 hours though which is a long time but at 5:35pm i had my beautiful daughter. Then we went home at 1am and we all slept for like 10 hours. LOL 

The midwives were wonderful, friendly, let me take as much time as i needed at each appointment, and answered all my questions wonderfully.  I'm going back whenever we decide to have our 2nd.

BUT if you want to go there CALL NOW! they fill up fast! 

• Options

Don't let people frighten you. I had a natural birth last time (although at a different location, this pregnancy is my first with TBC), and it was GREAT. It hurts, but it's manageable, and it's 'pain with a purpose.' If you can focus on that (the contraction is your body opening; relax and let it -- don't fight it!), you can definitely deal with it. Moving, soaking in a tub, having someone rub your back -- these things all help for sure. The pain is also transient. And the second it's done, you are pretty much high on life. I was cracking jokes between pushes, and we all had a good laugh when my water exploded on my poor doula. 

I think, sadly, a lot of people go into it much like you -- terrified by horror stories -- and therefore don't get as much out of the experience as they could. Good for you for wanting to seek out your own experience. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"