Food Allergy

Anyone else have to use steroid creams everyday?

I hate using them but he seems to always have some kind of spot. The docs encourage me to try and clear him up but I never seem to be able to do that. I actively use cerave and vanicream ( although lately I feel like one or both may be irritating his skin) . Any other ideas? I'm nervous what hydrocortisone may be doing to him long term. 

He is currently on elecare so he does not have any of his allergies in his diet ( egg peanut and mild dairy allergy) I am now 100% convinced something else may also be the culprit as he is super itchy with some worsening eczema patches. Overall his skin is not horrible looking. It it's really affecting everyone's sleep and I'm so frustrated as to why it gets better than worse even on elecare ( we have also tried neocate)  

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone else have to use steroid creams everyday?

• Eczema can also be related to environmental allergies.   DS #1 is allergic to cats and dogs and was allergic to dust mites, along with other environmental allergies we can't control (he also has food allergies).  Once we got rid of as many of his environmental allergies as possible (we had cats and dogs and of course dust mites are in carpet and all over) by rehoming our pets and using sprays for dust mites, his skin got a lot better. 

We use elocon and when he has an outbreak, I usually only have to put that on his skin about two or three times in the course of 48 hours and the outbreak is completely gone.   So we are no longer using steroids on a daily basis, maybe only once every few months.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • ChrMooChrMoo member
    We use Cetaphil Restorderm for maintenance of the Eczema and Desodine for flare ups. We got air purifiers for the entire house one in every room and two in hers....(they had a sale at Costco's) the frebreeze anti-allergen works great to spray on carpets, drapes and anywhere else that houses dust mites. We also had someone come out and clean our AC ducts which I was in shock how disgusting they were....
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We were told by the doctor that while the eczema can be caused by allergens, you can also just have eczema. My son's skin was very bad for a long time even after being on the elecare and no food at all. For a while we were using a steroid cream everyday, and I was nervous about it, but the doctor really took consideration to my fears and explained the different types of steroids and the reality of what we were using. Considering my son would scratch himself bloody, I got to be more concerned that he would scar from that. In our case he had large amounts of bacteria on his skin that was worsening the out breaks, so we also used an antibacterail cream. His bathing, creams and diet helped, and now we very rarely use a cream other than cerave. Talk to you doctor and express your concerns, hopefully they can put your mind at ease.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"