June 2011 Moms

Those who have had hand, foot, and mouth disease

So Caleb has hand, foot, and mouth disease, which he picked up from dc. His fever started on Thursday afternoon and the bumps started Friday morning and are still appearing. If your LO had it, how long until they could go back to dc? Also, did you bathe them normally? With the strain C has, he has bumps all around his mouth, on his arms, hands, feet, and legs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Pinterest
My Blog- Life With a Toddler
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
BFP#2 12/2/12 EDD 8/26/13; No heartbeat at 6w6d on 1/4/13; D&C 1/5/13
My Ovulation Chart
PgAL/PAL Always Welcome

Re: Those who have had hand, foot, and mouth disease

• Im so sorry mama! They told me I could use ibuprofen/tylenol alternating for both the fever and pain from the blisters, and that if she wasn't wanting to eat (her sores were actually only in the back of her mouth!) that I could do a mouth rinse. Let me know if you need the instructions, I'm sure I still have the sheet from the pedi.

Daycare let me come back once her fever was gone for 24 hours, but if she'd had visible blisters they said I'd have to wait until they popped or faded, bc one of the main ways it is spread is from the liquid in the blisters.

Hopefully your sweet boy gets better quickly!  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Was the mouth rinse hard? Caleb has blisters in the back of his mouth, too. If we have to wait for the blisters to go away, we might be out of dc for several days! If you find the directions for tne mouth rinse, we could give it a try. Thanks for the feedback!
    Pinterest
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • She was out of daycare six days. I had to go get her on a friday morning when she had a fever and just a few blisters. A few hours later at the pedi office fever was gone and pedi wasn't entirely convinced she had hfm. But then more blisters and a rash that night. We couldn't go back to daycareuntil the blisters scabbed over which can take up to two weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we are at a home daycare, and they really didn't care.  her fever lasted only one day, so she got some ibuprofen for that, which the daycare provider administered.  i had already planned to have her home with me on a friday, and that's when we both started getting the bumps.  i sent her back to daycare on monday, just like i went back to work.
  • We were able to send him to daycare as soon as his fever was gone. But one kid got diagnosed Friday, Isaac got the fever Friday afternoon, and on Monday every single kid had it. So I guess at that point it didn't matter. My pedi did say it was spread through the air, not by the bumps, though.

He seemed pretty miserable for about  5 days. His mood wasn't that bad but he slept a lot and lost his appetite. The bumps were mainly gone in a week after the fever.

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • imageDaisyJanie:

We were able to send him to daycare as soon as his fever was gone. But one kid got diagnosed Friday, Isaac got the fever Friday afternoon, and on Monday every single kid had it. So I guess at that point it didn't matter. My pedi did say it was spread through the air, not by the bumps, though.

He seemed pretty miserable for about  5 days. His mood wasn't that bad but he slept a lot and lost his appetite. The bumps were mainly gone in a week after the fever.

This was pretty much the situation at our daycare.  Some of the parents even ended up with it.

• We were told about it Tuesday. I'm not sure how many kids have had it so far, and when I called Friday afternoon the dcp I spoke with wasn't sure on the policy on when kids can return. I'm planning on staying home Monday, but hope he can go back on Tuesday. There are only 9 days until summer vacation, and I feel like I need to be at school.
    Pinterest
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • I'm sorry - HFM sucks!!!

I bathed C normally - infact the blisters didn't cause him to much concern or pain - it was only when he ate or had a fever that he was a bit grumpy. We were out of care for 7 days.... I wanted to make sure he was A-OK but I was told by the Dr that once the blisters have gone he is fine to go back to day care - from everything I've read - it's incubation period is about 5-7 days - so by the time he has the blisters the virus has nearly ended.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"