Pre-School and Daycare

Tell me about your DC's preschool graduation

DS goes to a small PS-8th grade private school, and they currently do not have a preschool graduation.  I had one as a kid, and I like the idea of one and am thinking of trying to organize something for next year before he moves to Kgarten. I think the teacher would be on board with it; she and I have worked on quite a few projects with/for the kids this year.  I have a few questions though: 

1. Is it too much to have a preschool graduation, kindergarten graduation and 8th grade graduation all in one school?  Just the families with kids in the respective classes participate in the graduations, so it is not a big school assembly or anything.
  2. Tell me about your DC's graduation.  What did they do?  Did it include all preschoolers or just the ones moving on to kgarten?

Thanks!

Re: Tell me about your DC's preschool graduation

• DD's school does not do preschool graduation.  They have an end of school program.  It was today, the headmaster spoke, the K3 students sang 6 songs, the K4 students sang 6 songs and then it was over.  It took 30 minutes tops.  It included all the K3 and K4 students.  Our school does a Kindergarten graduation and then a 5th grade graduation.  

I think preschool graduation is a bit overkill.  A nice, short program would be nice. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CD+ALCD+AL member

Some of the kids stay at this school for Kgarten, but some transition to public school or another private school after PS.  After 8th grade, the only option is to either move to public high school or another private school that has 9-12.

I like the idea of just doing something in the classroom at the end of the last day.  Very low key.  I think when I was a kid it was more of a program than a ceremony.  We sang a few songs, got a little diploma, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    To me, that seems like a lot given that is it a private school and the kids stay in the same school from PS to 8th grade.  I guess I look at the "graduation" ceremonies as more to celebrate moving onto a new place/school - HS graduation leads to college/military/work.  College graduation leads to grad school or work.  The daycare preschool that my kids go to does a little ceremony and the kids wear caps and gown.  We have not and will not particpate as my kids are not there for the year before kindergarten but I personally find the whole cap and gown thing over done for this age (just my opinion as I know some people love it but I think that should be saved HS and college graduations).  Anyway, the PreK program that my older DD is in now and my younger one will be in next year is based at the elementary school that they will go to (not all kids stay in this school as the district has 6 elementaries and only has this program at 3).  The call it an end of year program and the kids sing a few songs and each get a little something from the teachers and then we have a pot luck lunch.  The party this year is on Wednesday and school ends Friday.  Most of the kids are in the summer program which starts the Thursday of the following week.  It is a nice time to get together with the families and this year, it happens that most of the kids will be in the same school for kindergarten (but spread out over 4 classes) so I am looking forward to seeing the parents again.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I think a transition program is fine but having a full blown graduation is too much. Kindergarten ok, 5th grade, ok, 8th grade ok. But I think  it really depends on how the school is set up. If the child stays in the school from PreK to 8th grade why keep having graduations. Award ceremonies, ok. If they actually are transitionning from school to school then graduations makes sense. 

For me, Kindergarten is the ending of the "preparation" for school and the entry into "real" schooling. 5th grade is the end of the baby years. The kids are in their tweens (9-10 yr olds) moving into a new phase of not just schooling (preparing for college), but also a transitioning physically (puberty). 8th grade is the end of (the more awkward phase) puberty and the entering into adulthood. Preschool has no real transitions since (depending) on the school K'ers still take naps and are half day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The kids sang songs, walked over a little wooden bridge (3 steps on each side with a banner that said "congratulations" on it) and walked to their teacher where they got a rolled up certificate that basically said "Dylan successfully completed pre-school"

Then a short  reception with cookies, juice and lots of picture taking with teachers and friends. 

Done in about 30 minutes, held inside their classroom so it had zero impact on the rest of the elementary school. (not held at the same time as 8th grade.)

No special uniform, very low key but the kids felt proud and celebrated.  

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We just had DSs preschool graduation.  He goes to a church preschool with about 50 kids ages 2-5.  The graduation was mostly a "spring program" for all of the kids, where they have a theme each year and sing a few songs. This year was "Bedtime Stories" and each kiddo wore pajamas and got to say what their favorite bedtime book is in the mic.

Then they read the names of each child moving on to Kindergarten, shook their hand and gave them a "diploma".  Each family brought in a dozen cookies, and we all socialized a little and ate cookies afterwards, and took pictures with teachers/friends.

We don't have an official K graduation, so I don't know if that would be too much to do both.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • DD is also at a private school that goes through 8th grade.  They did have a preschool graduation and it was awesome!  There are 40 kids in the 4K class so it was a pretty big deal.  They had these paper "caps" and they marched out to Pomp and Circumstance with the lead kid holding the flag.  Each of the 3 teachers said a little speech and then called each child individually and gave them a certificate.  And a couple of the kids read Dr. Seuss quotes throughout.  They followed it up with refreshments and a slide show that included baby pictures and photos that were taken throughout the year.  It was very sweet and emotional.

Some of the kids will come back for kindergarten and other will leave for public school.  I really don't know what kind of graduation ceremonies they have for the other grades.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"