June 2011 Moms
Options

For those who had a c-section...

There is a FTM who keeps posting about how bodies are made to have babies and intervention is not necessary...I called her out last week for a similar comment. I know I shouldnt let her get under my skin, but her comments are so rediculous. I will try to find the thread from last week as well.

Do comments like hers, bother you or is it just me being hyper emotional (I quoted her response). It is not the OP that bothers me at all.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/65979461/ShowThread.aspx#65979461

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/65885925.aspx

Found the other thread and made them clicky ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For those who had a c-section...

• Options

I don't necessarily get pissed off, but I do feel sad for her ignorance.

While I agree that the human body was made for reproduction, it does not always work so well for everyone. Before medical intervention women often died in childbirth.

While I was all for natural child birth, it just didn't work that way for me. I cant wait for her to actually have her child and realize how its not that simple.

• Options
    I didnt get mad until the repeat performance of ignorance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    imageSyncronicity09:

While I agree that the human body was made for reproduction, it does not always work so well for everyone. Before medical intervention women often died in childbirth.

This.  I was not planing a natural birth but I sure did not want/think I would have a c/s knowing I was having a 4lb baby.  I thought there is no way in the world I can't push a baby that small out.  But my child could not tolerate labor and would have died w/o a c/s.  So her comments dont irritate me but she does need to mentally prepare herself for a 1% chance of c/s.  Anything can happen.  Sometimes breech babys don't/can't turn

• Options
    I have not had a c-section, but I do think she is nuts. Yes we are made to have babies but I believe the health and safety of mother and child comes first. C-sections for the right reasons are a blessing, it is too bad some Doctors and some women abuse them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

imagedannie2011:
    C-sections for the right reasons are a blessing, it is too bad some Doctors and some women abuse them.

I had a c-section with Connor because he was not coming out on his own. With this baby, we are 95% sure we are going to schedule another c-section (already looks to be another big LO). The other night I was with girlfriends and one told me that there was no way in hell she'd ever want to actually give birth, she wants to go right for a c-section and once she get preggo she intends to find a dr that will let her schedule one for no medical reason. I was completely taken aback by the comment and I could not agree with your statement more.

• Options
    I just think it's ignorance.  I think she's just thinking of the girls who just say they want to have c-sections because they don't want to rip their cash and prizes apart and not the fact that many are actually medically necessary.  DD is 11 months old and I'm still not over the fact that I will never know what it's like to go into labor or to have a contraction or to push a baby out of my hoo ha.  But like you said in one of your responses, I'd rather leave the hospital with a live baby and a live mommy than the alternative.  For me, I have a brain disease that means I can't push during labor or I risk a blood vessel in my brain 'sploding and then I'd die.  Kind of an easy choice, but I'm still upset over it, and comments like that don't help.  And you KNOW she will be one of those rare girls who has like, a 2 hour labor and 3 pushes and the baby just slides right out.
    May, 2010, DH DX: Low Testosterone
    July, 2010, DH SA: 3% morph
    July, 2010, DH Rx: 50 mg Clomid EOD
    BFP: 9/3/10 ~ M/C: 9/7/10
    BFP: 10/9/10 ~ My beautiful Grace Dorothy was born on 6/14/11
    Beta #1 (12 DPO): 111/24 ~ Beta #2 (16 DPO): 722/23 ~ Beta #3 (20 DPO): 3,338/15.3
    BFP: 11/14/11 ~ Spotting/Betas not doubling, but HB of 113 bpm @ 6 wks 1 day!
    My Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DH's Low Testosterone/ED Blog
  • Options

imageStick Around:
    I just think it's ignorance.  I think she's just thinking of the girls who just say they want to have c-sections because they don't want to rip their cash and prizes apart and not the fact that many are actually medically necessary.  DD is 11 months old and I'm still not over the fact that I will never know what it's like to go into labor or to have a contraction or to push a baby out of my hoo ha.  But like you said in one of your responses, I'd rather leave the hospital with a live baby and a live mommy than the alternative.  For me, I have a brain disease that means I can't push during labor or I risk a blood vessel in my brain 'sploding and then I'd die.  Kind of an easy choice, but I'm still upset over it, and comments like that don't help.  And you KNOW she will be one of those rare girls who has like, a 2 hour labor and 3 pushes and the baby just slides right out.

Ok, first of all "cash and prizes" made me lol.

Second, I also regret not getting to experience pushing Ash out. He was too big, and got stuck. After 36 hours of labor they wouldn't let me wait anymore.

Third, I don't see an easy labor for her. I predict a rude awakening. Regardless of how quick her labor may be, I think her head is too in the clouds to have an accurate idea of what is going to happen.

• Options

I think us c-section mamas are probably a little sensitive. I know I am. After I gave birth, I was having a bit of trouble connecting to my son emotionally (no issues now, of course) and someone told me, "Yeah I've heard that can happen with c-section mothers because they feel like they failed."

Um, wut? What did I fail at? I labored for 36 hours thankuverymuch. C-sections are a perfectly legitimate method of giving birth. I don't see why what happens in the last 24 hours of pregnancy makes you any more or less of a mother.

I just realized I went off on a rant. See my first sentence :) That poster has probably been following the Ricki Lake Guide to Childbirth. Whatever. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    imageSyncronicity09:

imageStick Around:
    she's just thinking of the girls who just say they want to have c-sections because they don't want to rip their cash and prizes.

That made me LOL too but seriously if that is what you consider to be your "cash and prizes" I think you have serious issues

*you meaning any girl that refers to her private parts as that not the OP

• Options

imageStick Around:

I may or may not have spit water out of my nose!

To all, I am glad in a way to see that others have struggled with having a c-section. It bothered me last week but this week her comments set me off. I had 2 people IRL make a similiar comment to me and that I chose a c-section. To me there wasnt a choice.

I dont have near the health issues that you would have with a vaginal delivery, but I have a spinal fusion at L5-S1. I had severe nerve damage and for a while couldnt even walk. They were pretty sure the damage would effect me in some reproductive way. Thankfully I am able to get pregnant. As my pregnany progressed, my hips never spread (which when you think about the hardwear, it makes sense). I went to 41 weeks. His head was not engaged,yet alone could it fit into the pelvic cavity. I have no option for a v-bac.

• Options
    imagevigurl:
    imageSyncronicity09:

imageStick Around:
    she's just thinking of the girls who just say they want to have c-sections because they don't want to rip their cash and prizes.

That made me LOL too but seriously if that is what you consider to be your "cash and prizes" I think you have serious issues

*you meaning any girl that refers to her private parts as that not the OP

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    It does irritate me, and in a way does piss me off because I was in the hospital for 3 days trying everything under the sun, and still my body would not go further than 4 cm.  Then he started having problems, come to find out the cord was around his neck causing problems there as well, not the 4 cm thing.  My point just being it is ignorant to think that and it does piss me off because I am sad that things did not go the way I had hoped and people like her make the feelings that much worse.
    **February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options

Honestly, comments like that really upset me.  I did everything I could (Bradley classes, used a doula, labored at home for almost 30 hours and then another 18 in the hospital) to try for a natural delivery.  Unfortunately, my kid got herself all tangled in her cord (around her neck once, her torso once and her leg three times) and never descended enough to allow me to fully dilate.  Goodness forbid she was a little lower and I was allowed to push - I can't even allow myself to think about what could have happened.

I still feel shame that I couldn't have the vaginal birth that I planned for, but a c-section for me was 100% medically necessary.  I'm planning to try for a VBAC next time, but UGH comments like hers are so awful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Don't let the c-section haters get you too down ladies! You all have those beautiful babies in your siggy pics as prizes for your efforts.
  • Options
    imageSyncronicity09:

While I was all for natural child birth, it just didn't work that way for me. I cant wait for her to actually have her child and realize how its not that simple.

Pretty much this. I'm thankful c sections exist. My child and I might not be alive without them.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It doesn't really bother me, but I tend to speak my mind.  I was pretty flexible going into it - was planning on getting an epi but not sure because really had never experienced anything like it before.  My water broke and 30 hours later I was still 3 cm.  My dr. said I could keep going but I was ready for the c/s.  It was still difficult, I didn't want surgery and my dreams of what labor and delivery would be like were totally wrong, but I ended up with a healthy wonderful baby.

I was talking to a pregnant woman at work and I think I scared her a bit.  She said she was not having an epi and NOT having a c/s.  I told her after 30 hours of labor you'll be begging for both, lol.  You don't call the shots and if baby doesn't want to come out, baby is not coming out, there's nothing you can do. 

• Options
    I don't get angry, but I just get really annoyed when people say stupid stuff like that. Yes, the human race would continue to grow without c/s, but do these people have a clue what infant and maternal mortality rates were like before the days of interventions? 
  • Options
    imageMrs.SparklesMcGee:

Honestly, comments like that really upset me.  I did everything I could (Bradley classes, used a doula, labored at home for almost 30 hours and then another 18 in the hospital) to try for a natural delivery.  Unfortunately, my kid got herself all tangled in her cord (around her neck once, her torso once and her leg three times) and never descended enough to allow me to fully dilate.  Goodness forbid she was a little lower and I was allowed to push - I can't even allow myself to think about what could have happened.

I still feel shame that I couldn't have the vaginal birth that I planned for, but a c-section for me was 100% medically necessary.  I'm planning to try for a VBAC next time, but UGH comments like hers are so awful.

Exactly how I feel. I did not want to get a c-section under any circumstances and could not have known that I would develop HELLP Syndrome and that it would be absolutely necessary for me to have a c-section or my and LO could have possibly died. 

I am also going to try for a VBAC next time and I hope that everything works out. I think that giving birth vaginally is one of the most amazing things in the world and if I never get to experience it would be difficult to live with. So when people say things like that it is very upsetting. 

• Options
    imageSyncronicity09:

This exactly!! It doesn't always work that easily for everyone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.SparklesMcGee:

This was like Z. Her cord was wrapped around her neck 3 times, under her armpit and around her leg. I still wonder how the heck she managed to do that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"