2nd Trimester

baby not moving much on ultrasound

I'm about 13 and a half weeks along and went in for an ultrasound today and the baby wasn't moving...We heard the heartbeat but the baby just wouldn't move!  Is this normal or is there something wrong??

Re: baby not moving much on ultrasound

• Babies get tired too! :)

Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • I had an u/s at 10 wks and the baby moved her arms a little, but really didn't move a whole lot. I wouldn't worry as long as the hb was strong. Did your OB seem worried? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Same thing happened to me at 16 weeks. I went in and had an U/S and baby could not stop moving... Then I went again 2 days later just to get a video for my hubbi so that I could email it to him (I am in Mexico and hubbi is away working in Alaska.) I was like is my baby ok and alive! Baby was soooo still. Then I saw the heartbeat and doc assured me all was well. Baby must have been knocked out or camera shy for daddy lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers
  • The baby was probably just sleeping, they're not always awake and moving.
  • I had my A/S at 18 weeks, and baby wouldn't move. The tech was doing all she could to get it to move, and the most it did was punch up at the tech when being poked and wiggled :P. Was pretty funny to see on the screen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • at my NT scan [12.5wks] the baby wouldn't budge, even when the tech was shaking my belly a little. If you saw the heartbeat I wouldn't worry, babies sleep a lot, even in the womb ;-)

I should say only in the womb because the phrase "sleep like a baby" is total BS lol 

DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • There are plenty of times babies are "uncooperative"  and don't move during an U/S. they are usually just sleeping. 
  • amb5353amb5353 member
    We went in today and our baby was just sitting in their indian style, head up, but down. Didn't move much. It happens. Like PP said they aren't aways awake. Dh read that at 19wks the baby sleeps 16-18hrs!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both times I've gotten to see baby, s/he refused to jump around for the camera, not giving much more than a few waves and maybe a flip. Which led to a lot of poking on my belly and the tech calling baby lazy. As long as they are not panicking or calling code blue or scheduling extra exams and appointments, I'm going with everything's a-ok. I figure (hopefully) my child will be a calm little one. That or s/he's saving all energy for later!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • byrne15byrne15 member

My baby didn't move for 2 u/s in which the baby was "old enough" for movement.

He finally moved on the 3rd u/s.  Now he is wild...

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• At 12w u/s, the baby wouldn't stop moving, the tech could barely get a good picture but at A/S, the baby didn't budge, no matter what the tech did. They sleep too :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Normal. Baby was probably just relaxing. Try scheduling your u/s during baby's active times.
  • next time have a glass of cold water.
  • At our AS at 19 weeks he was moving around so much the tech couldn't get all the pictures she needed. So at our 23w appt we had another ultrasound and he was just laying there yawning and sucking on his fingers. He had been quiet all morning and the tech said it looked like he was just waking up. Guess he is slow to rise like his daddy. Babies are just like us sleepy and sometimes they just like to relax. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to cough or jiggle my abdomen to get mine to move.
  • Mine didn't move much at the NT Scan or the A/S, even after drinking fruit punch. Today though we got to see him swallowing, yawning and waving. As long as you hear the HB, I wouldn't worry!

• Even at my A/S, DD wasn't moving a ton. Sometimes babies just like to chill out. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"