Infertility
Options

da butt HCG trigger shot? anyone?

This upcoming June cycle we'll be triggering with HCG and it will be an IM shot in da butt. DH is willing to give me the shot.

Giving myself shots I've learned to handle but I'm still a wuss when it comes to IM shots or blood draws.

I know it's only one shot (we've never done PIO) but can anyone tell me how perfectly it went for them? 

I'm a chicken and I need some reassurance. 

Thanks ladies.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
TTC #1 since 1/10
DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!

Re: da butt HCG trigger shot? anyone?

• Options

DH gave me my HCG shot and he was TERRIFIED.  But it was easy -- honestly, it didn't hurt any more than my sub-q shots.  We were almost shocked how quick and simple the whole thing was.

My advice is to get a nurse to draw a target.  That way placement isn't a worry. And it's sort of fun to have a target on your butt.

Me = 37, PCOS DH = 43, low-ish morphology
    IUI #1 (Clomid), 3/11 = BFN
    IUI #2 (Femara), 7/11 = BFN
    IUI #2 (Femara), 8/11 = BFN
    IVF (w/ISCI) #1 in April 2012. 9R, 6F. 3-day transfer of one 8 and one 6 cell. None to freeze. BFN
    Planning for IVF #2 in January 2013.
    Everybody welcome.
  • Options
    rjade9rjade9 member

I was actually at work when I had to trigger surrounded by fellow nurses so I thought that was perfect!  WRONG lol, the 2 experienced nurses I pulled aside to do it hadn't given a IM in the butt since who knows when so they were scared lol.  It went fine though!

DH does my PIO shots and he does great since the first one, just heat before and after and rub the area after.  Did your nurse draw a circle where he should do it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH literally faints at the sight of needles and blood, he's got some weird phobia. So I do it myself. It's a little awkward but I've gotten the hang of it. And I find that despite how it looks, that I barely feel it, much less anyway than the stomach shots. GL!

SAIF Always Welcome
    TTC #1 since Fall 2008
    High FSH, Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome
    Unsuccessful with my OE, moving to DE + DS
    DE + DS IVF #1: Dec 2012 - BFP, nothing at first u/s 
    DE + DS IVF #2: 3/14/13 - c/p
    DE + DS IVF #3: 7/12/13 - BFP! Finally! No heartbeat at 7w1d.
    DE + DS IVF #4: 5/16/14 - BFN
    DE + DS IVF #5: 9/3/14 - BFP at 5.5dp5dt, Beta 1 @ 9dp5dt: 438; hb of 133 at 6w5d, no hb at 7w1d
    DE + DS IVF #6: 3/3/15 - BFN on HPTs through 7dp5dt, Beta 1 @ 8dp5dt: 19, Beta 2 @ 10dp5dt: 76, nothing at u/s

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky 
  • Options
    delinodelino member
    Ugh...we are not looking forward to this. I showed my husband the needle that he will have to give me and he said he doesn't think he can do it. I told him that he has no choice and he said that he doesn't wanna hear me complain that he hurt me.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had all my shots IM in my ass and then in my thighs (which were far worse) in terms of placement---... I have dimples and a tattoo that were useful for a guide. But my shots went perfectly. My trigger worked etc etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I still look away when I go in for blood draws!

The trigger is no big deal.  Seriously.  When it's time, you will go "is that it?"
    Very anticlimactic.  Just make sure your nurse shows you the area to target (upper part of the butt area above my crack line for me).  Go in quickly with the needle and you won't feel it.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Options

what what in da butt?

Sorry couldnt resist! I have done PIO twice and thankfully never a trigger shot but this time will require an hcg trigger shot so I am hoping that goes a lot like the PIO. It is definitely mind over matter! My advice is to lay down on the couch and put the heating pad on before hand. We were always using a numbing cream that worked great but we are lead to believe the cream blocked absorption of the PIO and caused some problems for me so now we are doing PIO without any cream and I am sh!t scared! I think the worst part is the needle breaking the skin, once it is in, its in and you wont feel it! Remind DH to draw back before injecting. We have never hit blood and had to re inject. Just remember you can do this and we are all here to talk you through it. It may hurt but put heat on it afterwards too and I have heard massaging the area helps too. I have been too sore to even think about DH massaging the area but I will try. We have a system that I mentally prepare myself and will tell DH when i am "ready". The anticipation is worse then the actual shot EVERY TIME. You can do this!

ETA this picture really helped us! The first time we were too low!  image

• Options
    BzeetyDBzeetyD member
    imageJezebell26:

what what in da butt?

Sorry couldnt resist! I have done PIO twice and thankfully never a trigger shot but this time will require an hcg trigger shot so I am hoping that goes a lot like the PIO. It is definitely mind over matter! My advice is to lay down on the couch and put the heating pad on before hand. We were always using a numbing cream that worked great but we are lead to believe the cream blocked absorption of the PIO and caused some problems for me so now we are doing PIO without any cream and I am sh!t scared! I think the worst part is the needle breaking the skin, once it is in, its in and you wont feel it! Remind DH to draw back before injecting. We have never hit blood and had to re inject. Just remember you can do this and we are all here to talk you through it. It may hurt but put heat on it afterwards too and I have heard massaging the area helps too. I have been too sore to even think about DH massaging the area but I will try. We have a system that I mentally prepare myself and will tell DH when i am "ready". The anticipation is worse then the actual shot EVERY TIME. You can do this!

Thanks! very helpful. It's still over a month away but I can work on my nerves now, right?
    TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Options
    imageBzeetyD:
    imageJezebell26:

what what in da butt?

Thanks! very helpful. It's still over a month away but I can work on my nerves now, right?

Me too! I'll help you with yours if you help me with mine! I start stims 6/15 and am estimating trigger to be sometime around 6/23 or 6/24. GL!

• Options
    I gave myself my HCG shot our last cycle and will be giving myself my HCG trigger tomorrow too. It wasn't bad at all, didn't hurt and I really didn't have any issues, I would say ice your butt beforehand, that always helps me. Don't worry, the HCG shot looks huge but its a piece of cake. :) GL with your next cycle!
    TTC 6 years three m/c during that time 5/11 Ruptured Ectopic - Lost left tube and a normal baby boy 2/12 IVF #1 BFN - Very poor egg quality... :( 5/12 IVF #2 Hoping for the best! Est ET 5/11-5/18 BFN Decided to move on to adoption to complete our family!
  • Options
    BzeetyDBzeetyD member

imagechristy2125:
    I gave myself my HCG shot our last cycle and will be giving myself my HCG trigger tomorrow too. It wasn't bad at all, didn't hurt and I really didn't have any issues, I would say ice your butt beforehand, that always helps me. Don't worry, the HCG shot looks huge but its a piece of cake. :) GL with your next cycle!

Thanks! I know we can do it when the time comes.

TTC #1 since 1/10

Our lil' lost sparks:

Moving on to IVF.

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Options
    rebaannrebaann member
    My hcg trigger was always sub-q for the IUIs, but we did our first IM shot of estrogen last night.  I think he should put the next one lower and more outside, but other than that, he was a champ.  It wasn't pleasant, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing I've had done to me and it was over fast.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We just did my trigger last night.  It wasn't bad at all.  I'm not even sore from it today.  I'd rather have that than Ganirelix.  I swear the needle for Ganirelix is so dull!
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • Options
    I did my own. It was actually painless. The length of the needle was the scary part. Just go fast and in a dart-like motion and it will be a piece of cake. You should be able to use a pretty small needle for the trigger (25 or 27G).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagefiresiren:
    We just did my trigger last night.  It wasn't bad at all.  I'm not even sore from it today.  I'd rather have that than Ganirelix.  I swear the needle for Ganirelix is so dull!

Samsies! Did ours last night, and I've been having anxiety over the size of the needle for a month now...and it turns out it wasn't even that bad! No worse than the belly shots (especially Ganirelix in which that needle is horribly dull!!).  All I felt was a tiny pinch when it broke the skin...after that I couldn't even tell it was in!

Good luck & seriously don't sweat it! 

TTC since September 2010
    8/2011-B/W & HSG all normal!
    9/2011- 1st appt. with RE. We have "unexplained infertility".
    10/2011- 100mg Clomid & IUI #1 = BFN
    11/2011- 100mg Clomid & IUI #2 = BFN
    12/2011- 100mg Clomid & IUI #3 = BFN
    {Financial & Emotional Break...Moving onto IVF}
    IVF #1:
    4/6/12- Start BCP's
    4/11/12- B/W& Sonohystogram...all good
    4/13/12- Trial transfer & ultrasound
    4/26/12- Medications class
    4/27/12- Begin Follistim/Menopur injections. 5/2/12- Add Ganirelix
    5/8/12- Trigger!
    5/10/12- Egg Retrieval! 13 retrieved, 8 fertilized w/ icsi
    5/15/12- 5-Day Transfer of One embryo - Freezing Six!
    IVF #1 - BFN :-(
    FET in Aug or Sept...
  • Options

I was most scared for my PIO shots leading up to my IVF cycle, but they were actually a piece of cake. They can hurt sometimes, but it should be minimal compared to what you've already been through.

TTC #1 since Oct 2009, Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    HSG: Right tube all clear, left tube inconclusive
    3 failed Clomid Cylces
    4/5 lap revealed blocked left tube, but right tube is open
    April/May- 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI #1= CANCELLED left ovary ovulating
    June 1- 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI #1 = BFN
    June 28- 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI #2 =BFP!
    7/12 Beta #1= 14 Beta #2= >5 Chemical Pregnancy :(
    July-Nov long break to recover emotionally and financially
    Nov 24- 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI #3= BFN
    Jan 22- Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI# 4 = CANCELLED no response on right
    IVF #1- Start stims 4/7, ER 4/20, 21R, 14F, 6 frosties, ET 4/25, 2 embryos transferred= BFN :(
    FET #1- June 2012, Lurpon starts 5/27- CANCELLED
    FET #1 take 2- August 2012, delayed until Sept-CANCELLED
    FET #1 take 3- ET 10/11, 2 embryos transferred,= BFFN
    FET #2- Transfer 12/4--Cancelled, no embies survived thaw :(
    Next steps-- IVF #2 with new RE in March
    HOLY SURPRISE BFP 2/15/13!!!! Beta 1- 286, Beta 2- 782, First Ultrasound 2/25- baby in uterus & all looks good!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagejukeboxgirl:

DH gave me my HCG shot and he was TERRIFIED.  But it was easy -- honestly, it didn't hurt any more than my sub-q shots.  We were almost shocked how quick and simple the whole thing was.

My advice is to get a nurse to draw a target.  That way placement isn't a worry. And it's sort of fun to have a target on your butt.

This EXACTLY.  DH was a total BASKET CASE..he sat on the sofa stabbing an organge for an hour before he would stab me.  In the end, it was quick and painless.. for both of us :) 

And I highly recommend the target, DH appreciate a "target zone" :)

Me = 39 DH = 50 TTC (since 01/2009 after a short break, I stopped counting *cycles* in 2010)
    DX 2010 : Unknown Infertility , AMA
    HSG 2005 = Normal / HSG 2010 = Normal
    SA 2005 = Normal / SA 2010 /2012 = Slightly low count : motility, morphology GREAT!
    Chromosomal analysis, MTHFR, ANA's, Lupus, Protein C, Protein S, APCR = Normal 2011

M/C : 2005 (7wk), 2010 (6wk), 2011 (7wk)

8 IUI's 2010-2011 all BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist 01/2012 #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI antagonist long 06/2012 #2 = BFN

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF New Clinic/New RE 11/2012 #3 = One beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

IVF/ICSI/CGH MDLF 02/2013 #4 = One more beautiful boy blasty frozen PGS normal

FET 6/20 : One 5AA PGS normal transferred Beta 1 6/28 = 53.9 / Beta 2 7/1 = 220 / Beta 3 7/3 = 550!

1 U/S  6w3d - Heartbeat 119 /  2 U/S - 7w5d- Heartbeat 169 / 3 U/S (OB) 8w5d - Heartbeat still great!

Baby G welcomed into the world 3/7/2014

SAIF / PAIF always welcome ****

• Options
      Fingers crossed that we both get good news tomorrow.  
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • Options

Ok, this might be a little tmi and weird.....

We did the HCG trigger shot last cycle and I was so nervous about the size of the needle....I was freaked out. My brother, who is in medical school to become a Dr., was living with us at the time and was doing all my injectables. (He thought is was fun, I guess....so be it! ). DH is a wimp when it comes to needles....cannot count on him...he gave me such bad bruises when he did try to inject one night.  I lied down on my bed, face down so I was not using the muscle and my brother gave me the shot in the booty. I had my phone with me and I was playing on it (well really, scrolling thru pinterest, lol) to help distract me. It was a little more of a pinch than the daily injectables, but not too bad. I iced the spot before/after the shot and massaged afterwards. My brother made me walk around, too.The ice and walking helped a bunch!

I think the fear of the unknown is way more than the actual shot. Don't think too much into it....we are here to help!

Wishing you the best of luck! 

Me:32 (Hypothyroid + PCOS), DH: 32 (Normal)
    Married since 2006, TTC #1 since 2008
    Irregular Cycles, Ovarian Cyst Burst
    Countless BFN's
    3 rounds of Clomid/TI cycles= BFN x3
    IVF #1 February 2012(long lupron + menopur + gonal f + hcg + crinone) 4ER,3M,2F w/ICSI...3dt=BFN
    IVF #2 June 2012 (antagonist protocol: gonal f + menopur + ganirelix + hcg + PIO) 6/19: 20ER,20M,8F,5dt of 2 blastocysts on 6/24 Beta #1= 78.2 Beta #2 = 148 Beta #3= 685 Beta #4= 1961
    ....Hoping and praying for a miracle....
    **PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome**
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"