Baby Showers

Sip n See- gift/no gift?

I just got an invite to a sip-and-see for a friend's new baby. I went to the baby shower last month and brought a gift, so do I bring one for this also? I think it may feel weird to show up empty handed, but I also know that this kid has more than enough stuff already (second baby, got like 500 outfits at the shower!). What do you think?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sip n See- gift/no gift?

• ccamccam member
    Wow!  Unless it was someone I was super close with, I honestly don't know if I would go!  I would feel weird showing up empty handed, too, so I know what you mean.  I might just try and make another time to meet the baby.  But if you want to go, don't feel obligated to bring a gift.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• It's a come and go as you please type thing, correct? If so, no, I don't think you need to bring a gift. However, I always bring a pack of diapers when visiting new parents so I would probably do that in this case as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No, you don't need to bring yet another gift.  A sip and see is technically a non-gift event.

And honestly, I dont' understand why every event is becoming a "i need to bring a gift" event.  If the parents got a ton of stuff, they'd actually probably appreciate NOT getting more "little stuff".

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• kjskjskjskjs member

imageccam:
    Wow!  Unless it was someone I was super close with, I honestly don't know if I would go!  I would feel weird showing up empty handed, too, so I know what you mean.  I might just try and make another time to meet the baby.  But if you want to go, don't feel obligated to bring a gift.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I think if it was a close friend I would go but maybe bring something homemade or a inexpensive frame or something. Possibly, you could just make something for the couple to enjoy for dinner or maybe just a small treat like cookies.

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • imageEastCoastBride:

No, you don't need to bring yet another gift.  A sip and see is technically a non-gift event.

And honestly, I dont' understand why every event is becoming a "i need to bring a gift" event.  If the parents got a ton of stuff, they'd actually probably appreciate NOT getting more "little stuff".

This.

In my own experience, sip and sees are held in lieu of a shower. The fact that your friend already had a shower for her second child just a month ago would solidify my choice to either wait and visit her at a later date or go and not bring anything. I understand not wanting to show up empty-handed but if that's the case, bring some cookies or a meal for the parents to freeze. People have already purchased enough for the LO.

• Nah. If you feel like you must show up with something, take a bottle of wine, a platter of cookies, or a frozen meal.
  • imageAleja0918:
    imageEastCoastBride:

No, you don't need to bring yet another gift.  A sip and see is technically a non-gift event.

This.

In my own experience, sip and sees are held in lieu of a shower. The fact that your friend already had a shower for her second child just a month ago would solidify my choice to either wait and visit her at a later date or go and not bring anything. I understand not wanting to show up empty-handed but if that's the case, bring some cookies or a meal for the parents to freeze. People have already purchased enough for the LO.

Hmm. I don't think a sip-and-see as an alternative to a shower. I would think people would have one because they'd like the opportunity to introduce all their close friends to the baby at once rather than have non-stop company for months. So I'd definitely go to the party if I wanted to meet the baby, even if I had just been at the shower. Regarding the gift, I don't think it's required at all. For close friends, however, I would probably be inclined to bring a little something for the baby (not off the registry, just something cute) the first time I came to meet him. I would do this because I wanted to, not because I had to, whether they had a sip-and-see or not.

• MelleTXMelleTX member

Sip n See = Meet the Baby party.

A gift is not required. I assume there was no mention of a registry or gifts on the invite, correct? This is what we tell posters all the time. Don't mention gifts on the invite. Most people will bring you something anyway. 

I would not show up empty handed for the first meeting with the baby. I would be more likely to bring a freezer meal though than another baby gift.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I think a sip and see and a meet the baby party are in place of a shower...but your friend already had a shower.  I would take a gift, but then I ALWAYS give a friend/family member a gift for baby when I visit (whether there is a party or not and whether I went to a shower or not).  It is usually something small...like a bib, piggy bank with a couple of bills and some change in it, a nice book, or even a $20 gift card to McDonalds, etc. in a congrats card.
  • I never go to a party or dinner without a hostess gift, so I would bring something, but more like bottle of wine or cookies.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Been to a couple sip-n-sees (for close friends only) and never brought a gift (since I gave one at the shower).  Nor did any one of our other close friends either.  It was merely a "meet the baby" once Momma was ready to see ppl. 

I did bring a dessert to one. But that was bc I knew Momma loved a certain dish. 

SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• You are not obligated to bring a gift, esp since you just bought one for the shower.  If you feel uncomfortable bring something small, or maybe a food gift for mom and dad

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Thanks all! I like the idea of bringing a plate of cookies or a pack of diapers. Thanks for the great suggestions! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one this weekend - most people showed up without gifts.  The only people who did bring gifts were my aunts who did so cause I'm a FTM and didn't have a shower.  I did get alot of cards and a couple people brought a small thing - little toy or a book.  Totally normal.
  • No gift.  If it was a sip and see INSTEAD of a shower, then I would.

Since it's an event with drinking, I would bring a bottle of champagne as a hostess gift like I would going to anyone's house for a dinner/party that involved booze.  (If it's someone really really close to you, AWESOME champagne.)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagePunkyBooster:
    Nah. If you feel like you must show up with something, take a bottle of wine, a platter of cookies, or a frozen meal.

I agree - you could bring something small for the new mom if you feel uncomfortable showing up empty-handed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"