March 2012 Moms

WWYD: LO, Daycare, Perfume Stink (XP)

Has this happened to anyone? DS smelled like the most horrible perfume yesterday after daycare. It is the most horrible old-lady-musty-rag-from-the-attic smell I have smelled in a very long time- and it's on my son!

I gave him a bath, lotioned him, and even wiped him down with baby wipes. Nothing will get rid of the smell altogether. I want my baby to smell like himself, and if I can't have that, at least to smell somewhat nice. We've never had this issue, so I wonder if one of the other teachers or director was holding him yesterday. They said he was clinging when I picked him up, which leads me to believe they handed him off to someone else at some point.

Should I say something if he continues to come home smelling like this? I don't want to make a big deal- but it's a really offensive smell!

I also posted on Working Moms, to gain their perspective. TIA, March Mommies!

Lachlan
born March 2012

Re: WWYD: LO, Daycare, Perfume Stink (XP)

• If you truly find the smell offensive, I think you are completely in your right to say something--the way you describe it is like the smell of cigarettes to a nonsmoker... I can't stand that! Since this is the allergy season, why not blame it on that so it doesn't come out sounding harsh or judgy--if it continues just say that you or SO suffer from allergies and you've noticed an increase in your symptoms when your son comes home smelling of a particular perfume--is there any way to limit his contact with the person who wears that perfume? Or is there some other possible remedy to the problem? Good luck!
  • I would tell them nicely that when you brought your LO home that it caused you to have a severe allergic reaction. They have to do something about it. I don't think they would hesitate. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Zoe was born 2/24/12 (17 days early) and Isabella is so excited to be a big sis! Thinking about having one more kiddo...we'll see. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagealissadg:
    I would tell them nicely that when you brought your LO home that it caused you to have a severe allergic reaction. They have to do something about it. I don't think they would hesitate. 

I like this idea. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Alissadog- gave a great suggestion!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Thanks, all. I'm not sure was holding him, but we've never had him smell like this before. I like the allergy suggestion, and will try that. It really did smell as bad as cigarettes! I was surprised I could still smell it after his bath.
    Lachlan
    born March 2012
  • It must have really absorbed into his skin. Let us know how it goes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Zoe was born 2/24/12 (17 days early) and Isabella is so excited to be a big sis! Thinking about having one more kiddo...we'll see. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I went to a Dr a few years ago about asthma related symptoms. He highly recommended I stay away from perfumes, room sprays, etc. He says fresh air is better for everyone, not just people with asthma. I'm sure the same would apply for a baby. You might could add that to the allergy thing lol. 
  • lullinglulling member
    I would say something if it happens again.  I am surprised that people that work with babies are even allowed to wear fragrances.  An infant could have an allergic reaction to that.  I am extremely sensitive to fragrances and dyes so I would never want my baby coming home smelling like perfume.  I wouldn't even be able to hold him!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelulling:
    I would say something if it happens again.  I am surprised that people that work with babies are even allowed to wear fragrances.  An infant could have an allergic reaction to that.  I am extremely sensitive to fragrances and dyes so I would never want my baby coming home smelling like perfume.  I wouldn't even be able to hold him!

We were allowed to wear light body spray but no perfume or anything heavy. Most daycares where I worked didn't really have a rule about it just common sense. If someone was wearing too much of something, etc. they just got asked not to wear it again.

OP, I agree with using the allergy thing, or just saying you are sensitive to it if you don't want to lie, if it happens again.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"