Breastfeeding

Leaking bags of thawed milk?

The past 2 days my frozen milk bags have been leaking when I thaw them. I was furious when I realized they were leaking because I had been thawing in warm water.

How do you thaw your milk bags? I try to thaw last thing before bed so that all the bottles are ready to go in the morning for day care and I don't have to mess around with them at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Leaking bags of thawed milk?

• I used to move mine to the fridge the day before I needed them and let them thaw that way.  I never had any problems with leaking except for when I would accidentally drop a frozen bag and split the seams.  Whoops.

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • janamgjanamg member
    I don't have to do my own my SIL take my DD when I'm at work so I just keep all my milk there (they have a deep freezer and I only have my frige freezer). She takes them out at noon the day before and puts them in a bowl in the fridge. If they aren't thawed she sets them inwarm water to warm the milk any how.
  • Loading the player...
  • I thaw in the fridge. I put them in an empty bowl to catch any possible leaks.

Are they leaking from the sides or the top? I haven't had any side leaks yet but I have had top leaks when I don't get the ziploc sealed tightly.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAshley&Scott:

I thaw in the fridge. I put them in an empty bowl to catch any possible leaks.

Are they leaking from the sides or the top? I haven't had any side leaks yet but I have had top leaks when I don't get the ziploc sealed tightly.  

From the bottom, oddly enough! I was so upset when I found they had leaked into the water.

How long do milk bags take to thaw in the fridge? And I know they have to be used w/in 24 hours. Is that 24 hours after I take them out of the freezer? Or 24 hours after they are back to liquid?

• I take mine out the day before and place it in a small strainer that is elevated in a container. The strainer keeps the bags from falling into the milk tp prevent germs and the milk that leaks (if any) is caught in the container so I can just pour it directly into a bottle from there. Luckily not many of mine have leaked but I am prepared in case.
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    I know everyone loves the Lansinoh bags but I had 1 leak so I started using the Simplisse ones. I don't know if it is your bags or not but I like the Simplisse because they are so thick. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    I read that it is 24 hours from the time the bag is fully thawed.  For me that really ends up being closer to 36 hours from the time I got them out of the freezer. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I thaw in a bowl of cold water in the fridge.  I had a lot of leaks with Lansinoh bags so I switched to Target Up& Up brand and so far no leaks.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageebp913:
    I read that it is 24 hours from the time the bag is fully thawed.  For me that really ends up being closer to 36 hours from the time I got them out of the freezer. 

Ditto all of this. The Total Baby app also says it's good for 36 hours after you pull it from the freezer. I've found it takes 8-12 hours to completely thaw depending on the amount of milk.

• I've had that problem with lansinoh bags too.  You have to be very careful not to bang the around.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • imageAshley&Scott:

imageebp913:

Ditto all of this. The Total Baby app also says it's good for 36 hours after you pull it from the freezer. I've found it takes 8-12 hours to completely thaw depending on the amount of milk.

Yikes thats a long time to thaw! I think I'm going to start sending as much fresh milk to day care as I can W-F, and then send frozen on T (DD isn't there on Mondays)
  • I thaw in luke warm water in the sink.  I tried moving them from the freezer to the fridge the night before and they werent thawed enough in the morning.

I use Ameda bags and haven't had problems with leaks. 

If you're having problems though, why not just put the bags you need to thaw in a larger ziploc bag?

• imagealliapistor:

I thaw in luke warm water in the sink.  I tried moving them from the freezer to the fridge the night before and they werent thawed enough in the morning.

I use Ameda bags and haven't had problems with leaks. 

If you're having problems though, why not just put the bags you need to thaw in a larger ziploc bag?

Good idea-I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!
  • I pull mine from the freezer around 5 pm the day before I need them (typically we send frozen milk Monday, so I pull it around 5 on Sunday).  I leave it on the counter in a bowl and just check on it frequently so I can put it in the fridge once thawed.  Generally it thaws within a couple hours on the counter, I make the bottles, and pop them in the fridge.  I've stopped thawing in water b/c of leaking.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"