June 2011 Moms
Options

hows your little one sleeping....

I get asked this a lot I say he's doing good wakes up 1-3 times a night then I get this response of a half tilted head, sad face followed by well that must be tough have you tried anything

My son is not broken yet I feel like people think he needs to be fixed he wakes up eats bf and goes back to sleep now problem of he wakes more than three times I bring him in to cosleep with us for my own sanity it works for us, he will sleep longer when he is ready

Teething, growing pains when etc aside as all these ruin sleep on a normal good day do your little ones still wake for feedings, soothed re placement, hugs etc or am I this crazy person with the odd child....?

I am very out of the box when it comes to parenting and get side eyed a lot but I just don't like they sympathy I keep getting from people so now I just say yes he sleeps how he needs to

Mini rant over 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hows your little one sleeping....

• Options
    Honestly, it's only a problem if it bothers you.  Who cares what other people say. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS still wakes up once or twice a night. Occasionally we get an 8 hr stretch. I have stopped getting up if he wakes up before it has been at least 4 hours. He will put himself back to sleep unless he is starving.

When people ask you can stick with something generic like, "He is sleeping well," or "He is sleeping like a baby." They don't need to know how many times he is up at night, unless of course they are offering to come over and let you sleep through the night Stick out tongue

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    :)
  • Options

Ditto what PP said, it's only a problem if it's a problem for you.  I can understand though why people sympathize and I would take it as a nice thing.  For someone like me, my DS sleeps from 7:30-8:00 with no waking in between, I would sympathize with you because I can not imagine going through it.  But for you, you are used to it so it seems like it is nothing.

Again though if you are okay with it then it is okay, and I don't think anything is wrong with your LO. 

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    akayfakayf member

I would be one of the ones giving you a sympathetic look too.   My kid is a freak of nature and has been sleeping for 12 hour stretches since about 6 weeks.  We were very blessed.  

But I would never ask you have you tried this or that unless it seemed like you were fishing for suggestions.  

• Options
    My dd reverse cycled starting at about four months. She would refuse the bottle and take about three ounces the whole time I was away at work, then would be up every three hours to eat. Her weight gain has slowed down a lot because of it, so the doctor said to feed her when she wanted it. People are very sympathetic when I explain this.  If I am not feeling like dealing with the sympathy and unsolicited advice from people, I just say she is sleeping great. In my opinion it is true :) She sleeps in till nine and falls right back to sleep after eating when she wakes during the night.
  • Options

DS went back to waking up twice a night, I would nurse him and put him back to bed until I realized that he wasn't actually hungry.  Now if he wakes up I lay him back down and rub his back.  He sleeps through the night now (8pm-6am) and I am much more sane.

I know you said it doesn't bother you, but by saying "if he wakes up more than three times I cosleep to keep my sanity" to me that means you are really not OK with it, and you need more sleep. I don't believe in forcing a child to sleep, but at at this age, at night, if they aren't hungry then they should be sleeping IMHO.

Your son isn't broken, and he doesn't need to be fixed, but if you knew your son could sleep for longer stretches if you put him back to sleep rather than nursing him, would you choose to continue to get up 3+ times a night?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

DD goes to bed at 7:30 and usually sleeps until 6:30 or 7.  Sometimes she'll need us to find her binky (but that's rare these days).  She's had a few nights that she wakes up screaming and I think it might be a nightmare.  Unless she's sick she's usually pretty good.  She started this right around 9 months, before that she would wake once for a bottle.  Our pedi told us to stop that bottle at 4 months, but we ignored that until we felt ready.  We sleep trained that bottle out around 7 months but then she had sickness after sickness and it came back.  She stopped on her own at 9 months (almost exactly).

Personally I was done at 9 months with the night waking.  I couldn't do it anymore and was so tired if I had to get out of bed even once, so I'm glad she stopped.  If it doesn't bother you then go with it.  When it does stop. 

• Options

DD still wakes up once during the night and I nurse her back to sleep. What time she wakes up is completely random. She sleeps from 8 pm to around 7 am and usually sometime between 1 and 4 am is when she wakes up randomly and I nurse her back to sleep. When DH has the following day off from work and it's early in the night (like 2 am), we've tried sending him into the room to soothe her back to sleep instead of me going into her room to nurse her and she went NUTS. I mean she cried hysterically (while he held her and tried to soothe her) and I felt like the worst person on planet Earth and ended up going in there to nurse her anyway.

So, for now, I continue to nurse her once during the night when she wakes up. It is not that big of a deal for me at this time because she (usually) goes right back to sleep until her usual wake-up time. I have several friends whose LOs did the same thing until around 18 months.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options

I would say it's out of the ordinary for an almost 1 year old to be waking 3-4 times a night.  Yes there are going to be some kids who are but it is not what I would consider the norm.  Therefore people are going to have a sorry for you reaction when you say that your kid is waking up that much.  They are just being sympathetic.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I have good stretches and bad stretches with my son. He's in the throws of teething and just started crawling, sitting up and standing...so all those things are getting in the way of a good night's sleep. He'll wake up a few times for a few nights, then he'll sleep through the night for a few nights...it's day to day sometimes. I never know how he'll be. 

Sometimes he comes in the bed because I can't get him back to sleep in his crib. But last night I able to get him back in the crib after a few minutes...he did that to me twice.

I won't let him CIO. It just doesn't work for me. We're all fine considering and he's happy...so I'll keep just taking it night by night. Soon enough this phase will be over and he'll be sleeping through.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Typically, DD sleeps from 8pm until 4am or 5am. I feed her and she goes back to bed for a couple of  hours. So, she sleeps a solid eight hours before waking up. We have done some sleep training to get to this point. I'm happy and can function well on the amount of sleep I get. I still get sympathetic looks when I tell people that DD wakes up once in the early morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"