2nd Trimester

Swelling from the waste down

I am a swollen mess!  I figured I was going to swell maybe my 7th, 8th,or 9th month but I am still in my 5th month.  I am only 23 weeks and from my waste down by the end of the day I am soooo swollen.. I work on my feet all day but the swelling doesn't really go down thru the night.  I try to lay on my left side as much as i can stand to while Iam sleeping and I sleep with a pillow under my feet, but when I wake up they are still pretty swollen.  I dont know what to do.  Is this normal for the swelling to be all the way up my whole leg.  I have tried wearing compression stockings and my legs still swell and by the end of the day they actually hurt worse because they are swelling while being so restricted.  Not to mention I am very uncomfortable. 

Any tips, tricks, advice, is truly appreciated.  I am at a loss.

Thanks

pregnancy week by week

Re: Swelling from the waste down

• Check with your OB and maybe chat with a nutritionist. I found out I had too much sodium in my diet, which made my whole body swell. I also found that I have to keep my legs and heart level in order for the swelling to go down. Finally, make sure to check with your OB and make sure it isn't anything like a blood clot or something. However, if it is on both sides, I wouldn't worry about that. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Take baths or go swimming.  Any way you can submerge as much of your body as possible into the water.  My OB swears that it helps relieve the swelling. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't read the other responses but a few things.... cut down on sodium, it'll make you retain water; are you wearing the compression stocking that go past your knee's, if not you need those because the other ones work more like turnequetes; call your ob about it so he/she can check for other signs of pre-e; if all of that isn't the cause then I'd say you're ok and just put those tootsies up as much as you can. A walk in walmart swells me up something fierce but it's not that big of a deal bc I've had the rest checked out. Hope this helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekrismott25:
    I haven't read the other responses but a few things.... cut down on sodium, it'll make you retain water; are you wearing the compression stocking that go past your knee's, if not you need those because the other ones work more like turnequetes; call your ob about it so he/she can check for other signs of pre-e; if all of that isn't the cause then I'd say you're ok and just put those tootsies up as much as you can. A walk in walmart swells me up something fierce but it's not that big of a deal bc I've had the rest checked out. Hope this helps.

Generally speaking you're not supposed to reduce your sodium intake during pregnancy... unless you're consuming off the charts amounts already. I'd track it for a couple days and then talk to your doctor about what they recommend.  If you can get in the pool, that's the absolute best thing for it and it feels like heaven!

• Make sure you're staying very hydrated. Drinking lots of water prevents fluid retention, from what I understand. And I agree on limiting the sodium intake as much as possible.
  • You need to call your OB.  My OB told me that swelling from the knee down is normal but she wants to know right away if I have swelling above the knee.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"