October 2012 Moms

Unbelievable Heartburn!

How is everybody else dealing with heartburn? I am so sick of Tumms to the point that taking them makes me want to vomit. I get it constantly! I try to prevent it by eating foods that seem to nit give me heartburn as bad, but that leaves my food supply very, very limited. Peppermint gum used to work for me but has seemed to stop. Just curious as to what other moms to be are doing to prevent or get rid of heartburn.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Unbelievable Heartburn!

• CnAnACnAnA member
    Have you tried drinking milk?  It helps my husband sometimes.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • I'm with you on this. And I'm sorry I don't have the perfect answer for you but eating yogurt lately has helped a little bit. I've heard that peppermint can make your heartburn worse and the tums I have is peppermint flavored.. soo...not sure if that was well thought out.

Sometimes I wonder if someone can actually die from heartburn because if so, I feel quite at risk.. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just try to avoid spicy/acid food. Sucks because I looove spicy stuff. Or for example this weekend we made chili (left out the peppers) and I ate it over a baked potato with tons of cheese and sour cream. No heartburn. I've also read you should try to sleep elevated in a sitting position. That seems to help too
  • I've taken 2 ginger root pills every morning for the last 3 years and I never, ever get heartburn. I was on prilosec for 3 years for terrible HB before I decided to take a natural approach. Seriously, try them. You can buy them at grocery stores, CVS, Walgreens, etc.
  • Have you tried any other OTC antacids? I think when I was pregnant with DS my doc gave me the ok to take Mylanta and Prevacid. I THINK those were the two, but my memory is fading. Can you call and ask your doc what they think might be safe for you?

Also what kind of Tums are you taking? I have an easier time with the smoothie berry or tropical ones than the mint. The mint ones make me gag. 

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Take Zantac, it's approved and the ONLY thing that helped me.  Don't suffer, it's not worth it.
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 7.16.11 - Chemical M/C 7.26.11
    BFP 1.12.12 - EDD 10.12.12 - Stick baby stick!
    Beta#1 (12DPO) - Beta 48 Prog 34
    Beta #2(19DPO) - Beta 1767 Prog 54 - Beta #3(26DPO) -
    My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsF13MrsF13 member

I read that there may be a link between heartburn and your baby being born with a head full of hair. I get it from everything even eating yogurt. So I just keep taking the tums even tho they make me sick and hope my baby will have tons of hair!

• Thanx Ladies! The TUMS i am taking are tropical flavored ones. I am drinking milk like crazy! We used to be able to go through a gallon in two weeks and now its a gallon a week sometimes just a few days. Acid reflex does run in my family and its very risky, up to the point that my brother had to have surgery to help him with his. I was on a prescription before becoming pregnant, but quit taking it. I guess I am gunna have to ask the dr if I can have something stronger. In the meantime I m going to try ginger! :) THANKS AGAIN!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • my doctor recommended pepcid complete ...the chewable ones... they have been AMAZING!!!!! I get heartburn everyday and these have been the only thing that have helped... they are different than tums in that they not only stop heartburn right away but they also tell your body to produce less acid :) They are OTC and available at most walgreens or cvs type places... they have been a life saver! Hope this helps
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • PAPAYA....freshly cut papaya has been the trick. You can buy a whole one and cut it into medium sized cubes and store in the fridge for up to 5 days in a Tupperware container. Each night after dinner I eat a few cubes and no heartburn.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"