October 2011 Moms

When ya'll (y'all?) talk about BLW

I feel like my DD is so far behind Sad She's only had carrots, summer squash, applesauce, avocado and banana :(

I wonder if I'm not feeding her enough now! Bleh

Congrats Starbuck :y & HHB on their sweet baby boys!
Lots of love & luck to Mdluv & Zook
IUI#4 = BFP!!
When the world says give up... hope whispers try it one more time

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When ya'll (y'all?) talk about BLW

• That is all Violet has had pretty much.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • We haven't really tried much either. E liked rice cereal but has acted prissy about everything else. We converted to BLW last night and he seems much happier.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm about halfway through the book, but I'm a little confused about how "sitting up" she needs to be before we start.  Like, absolutely sitting up on her own?  She tends to fall over after a few seconds on a hard surface (she can sit for a lot longer on my lap).  Her highchair is upright and pretty rigid, but she definitely uses the back for support, and sometimes leans a little to one side.

I keep meaning to hand her a length of banana, but every time I get ready to do it, H has snagged the last one.  I guess I'll wait until I finish the book so I'm for sure comfortable.

• imageWoodsie:

I think it's y'all. ;p

Every time I see posts about BLW I feel like a big wuss. I'm interested in it but I'm terrified of choking. Terrified. I gave him a chunk of banana and he got a huge bite off and it freaked me right out. He handles thick/chunky purees like a champ but I'm just too scared to do finger foods, even though I read so many posts about it going well for other babies.

I am a big chicken too. I made DD eat purees as finger foods for way longer than necessary. We are only on night 2 of BLW and my hands shook after he coughed a bit on some pasta. You're not alone!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The choking made me a bit panicky but honestly, watching him gnaw chunks and move them around in his mouth a couple of times has made me much less concerned. He occasionally gags but he has never made me concerned he was choking. 
  • Glad I'm not the only one! I think besides the obvious choking, my fear is that her pedi said no to certain foods, and it seems like everyone is feeding them table food already! I don't want her to have any allergies or whatnot.

I have to say she sometimes 'chokes' on her purees when she doesn't like the food lol

IUI#4 = BFP!!

• imageWoodsie:
    imagePapps:

Glad I'm not the only one! I think besides the obvious choking, my fear is that her pedi said no to certain foods, and it seems like everyone is feeding them table food already! I don't want her to have any allergies or whatnot.

I have to say she sometimes 'chokes' on her purees when she doesn't like the food lol

T "chokes" and sputters on his own drool, lol.

"ded" 

I TOTALLY know what you're talking about! DD just choked on her own fingers the other day to the point that tears fell

IUI#4 = BFP!!

• imagePapps:

Glad I'm not the only one! I think besides the obvious choking, my fear is that her pedi said no to certain foods, and it seems like everyone is feeding them table food already! I don't want her to have any allergies or whatnot.

You no longer have to wait until kids are a year old to introduce them to certain foods due to allergies (besides honey since that is another issue). Essentially they found out that there is no science behind waiting a year and it might actually increase allergies. This is what the AAP says

Although solid foods should not be introduced before 4 to 6 months of age, there is no current convincing evidence that delaying their introduction beyond this period has a significant protective effect on the development of atopic disease regardless of whether infants are fed cow milk protein formula or human milk. This includes delaying the introduction of foods that are considered to be highly allergic, such as fish, eggs, and foods containing peanut protein. https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/1/183.full

My Dr. never said to delay anything, but if he had I was armed with this information to ask him why it was in direct contradiction to the most recent studies. Dr.'s are people just like everyone else and it is easy to ignore science in favor of tradition and cultural norms (even though really they shouldn't). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am an idiot... BLW?  I can't even guess what this one means. 
  • imageSammy-Mae:
    I am an idiot... BLW?  I can't even guess what this one means. 

Baby led weaning, although the term baby led solids is more appropriate. It basically means you let your child self feed from the start, no spooning purees into their mouth. 

• During month 5 LO only had a taste of banana or sweet potato at night. Had no interest in eating really except grabbing my food. Remember that the WHO recommends only BFing for 6 months and no food until then. My pedi said i can introduce rice cereal and yellow veggies at 4 months so I tried rice at 4.5 months and LO vomited everywhere.

Just about the time she turned 6 months she started to actually open her mouth for the spoon and eat. Which corresponds to the time their natural reflex turns into swallowing. LO has had apple and carrot added to her daily routine. Last week for the first time I sent her to school with breakfast and she ate 3x as much there as she did for dinner. This week she's going to get mango and pea introduced.

I don't agree with BLW for one reason. I do not want my LO to have any processed foods, added sugar or salt. I don't eat processed foods because of a an allergy in the preservative.  LO doesn't need any protein until closer to 8 months and there is way too much salt and sugar in baked goods to give her toast. I make all of LOs food and i leave it pretty junky some times

• imagepreggersin2011:

During month 5 LO only had a taste of banana or sweet potato at night. Had no interest in eating really except grabbing my food. Remember that the WHO recommends only BFing for 6 months and no food until then. My pedi said i can introduce rice cereal and yellow veggies at 4 months so I tried rice at 4.5 months and LO vomited everywhere.

Just about the time she turned 6 months she started to actually open her mouth for the spoon and eat. Which corresponds to the time their natural reflex turns into swallowing. LO has had apple and carrot added to her daily routine. Last week for the first time I sent her to school with breakfast and she ate 3x as much there as she did for dinner. This week she's going to get mango and pea introduced.

I don't agree with BLW for one reason. I do not want my LO to have any processed foods, added sugar or salt. I don't eat processed foods because of a an allergy in the preservative.  LO doesn't need any protein until closer to 8 months and there is way too much salt and sugar in baked goods to give her toast. I make all of LOs food and i leave it pretty junky some times

You don't need to give your kids processed foods to do BLW. In fact, the entire point of BLW is to not do processed foods (which the books view commercial prepared purees as). The book also mentions that toast has a lot of sugar/salt in it so that you should only give these very sparingly. It emphasizes whole foods and even mentions that you will likely eat better because you are making more nutritious food for the baby.

• LCassLCass member
    imagepreggersin2011:

During month 5 LO only had a taste of banana or sweet potato at night. Had no interest in eating really except grabbing my food. Remember that the WHO recommends only BFing for 6 months and no food until then. My pedi said i can introduce rice cereal and yellow veggies at 4 months so I tried rice at 4.5 months and LO vomited everywhere.

Since the idea of BLW is to feed them what you're eating, if you don't eat processed foods then there would be no reason to give any to LO.  And they do need iron, which is best found in lots of protein.  They do say to limit the salt and sugar, and for that reason they shouldn't have much bread.  We've given Lily a little bit of store bought toast, but we're going to switch to making our own in the breadmaker on a regular basis so we can control what's in it.

overture, I believe that leaning back in the high chair for support is fine (as is sitting on your lap).  The idea is that they shouldn't be falling over because you want their airway open by sitting up nicely.  Although Lily keeps tipping her head over to the side while she's sitting - not 'cause she can't hold it up, just 'cause it's fun.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• imageClaireFraser1:
    I agree papps, I see all the posts and I feel way behind.  I don't want to mess with a good thing though- she loves the pur?es and is sleeping well so I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

So good to "see" you 'round here again Claire!

As for my DD, she is getting fed up with me trying to feed her from a spoon. She went along with it for a couple of feedings but most of the time, she cries and turns her head when we try feeding her with a spoon. I'm really wanting to try BLW, but don't really know what foods to start with. And DD can't sit up completely on her own yet, she still falls over after a few seconds. :(

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • imagejiffy-pop:

imageClaireFraser1:
    I agree papps, I see all the posts and I feel way behind.  I don't want to mess with a good thing though- she loves the pur?es and is sleeping well so I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

So good to "see" you 'round here again Claire!

As for my DD, she is getting fed up with me trying to feed her from a spoon. She went along with it for a couple of feedings but most of the time, she cries and turns her head when we try feeding her with a spoon. I'm really wanting to try BLW, but don't really know what foods to start with. And DD can't sit up completely on her own yet, she still falls over after a few seconds. :(

The BLW book provides a great list of suggested first foods (lots of fruits and veggies just like first puree foods).  I believe it also includes some proteins and bread, but you could always just stick with fruits and veggies if that's what you're most comfortable with.

In regards to the salt issue (not related to your post jiffy-pop), the book specifically states to watch LOs' salt intake and allow no more than 1,000 mg of salt a day.  I gave DD a piece of multigrain toast the other day, and it had 150 mg of salt, so even if she had eaten the entire thing, she would in no way be in danger of meeting this ceiling (assuming she doesn't  eat other high salt foods the rest of the day)

• imagecrystalbaby:

Oh, Preggers. 

Ha ha I was waiting for this response from Crystal.  It cracks me up every time.

I thought I would be paranoid about choking with BLW, but when I read about how their gag reflex is so far forward in their mouth and how gagging isn't really choking, I felt much better about it.  This sounds silly, but I read somewhere to make exaggerated chewing faces & noises if they are gagging, and I do that with DD. It said it helps them remember to chew (not sure if that is true, but I do it anyway.)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageClaireFraser1:
    Oh, and with this many people I think it's "all y'all".    ;)

Stick out tongue

Thanks for the useful information ladies. I think I'll try and introduce more foods to her. I did give her small chunks of avocado and banana a few weeks back, but she wasn't too fond of that so we mushed it. I guess I'll just play it by ear

IUI#4 = BFP!!

• imagePapps:

imageClaireFraser1:
    Oh, and with this many people I think it's "all y'all".    ;)

Stick out tongue

Thanks for the useful information ladies. I think I'll try and introduce more foods to her. I did give her small chunks of avocado and banana a few weeks back, but she wasn't too fond of that so we mushed it. I guess I'll just play it by ear

Even if you don't want to do BLW you can still introduce them to a variety of different things via purees. You can also add spices. I heard babies really like curry. 

• imagekarinothing:
    imagePapps:

You no longer have to wait until kids are a year old to introduce them to certain foods due to allergies (besides honey since that is another issue). Essentially they found out that there is no science behind waiting a year and it might actually increase allergies. This is what the AAP says

Although solid foods should not be introduced before 4 to 6 months of age, there is no current convincing evidence that delaying their introduction beyond this period has a significant protective effect on the development of atopic disease regardless of whether infants are fed cow milk protein formula or human milk. This includes delaying the introduction of foods that are considered to be highly allergic, such as fish, eggs, and foods containing peanut protein. https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/1/183.full

My Dr. never said to delay anything, but if he had I was armed with this information to ask him why it was in direct contradiction to the most recent studies. Dr.'s are people just like everyone else and it is easy to ignore science in favor of tradition and cultural norms (even though really they shouldn't). 

This.  My LO has suspected allergies but my pedi said hold back nothing, except peanut butter and straight up cows milk and lettuce (I've read to never give a child under...3? 4? lettuce unless it is shredded.) but he has had cheese, beef, chicken, Indian food, squash, mashed potatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe,  strawberries, pears, rice, carrots, homemade (no sodium) pickles, hummus, broccoli, pita, bagel w/a teeny smidgen of cream cheese (because it was spread before I could protest so I scrapped it off), roasted potatoes, the list goes on and on... tonight he is having butter nut squash ravioli.  His favorite - steak tips and Indian (chicken korma w/ rice and sucking it off strips of naan).  He loooooves steak tips.

He really doesn't like purees now, but we keep offering them, to let him practice with a spoon. I either make all his food so there is no sugar, no salt, and no preservatives or buy organic and read the labels very closely.  He eats what we eat, and we eat healthy

We have been introducing solids since 6 months (he will be 7 months on the 10th) and until last week he would bite off chunks, push them to the front of his mouth, and spit them out.  Starting just yesterday, he is chewing/gumming and swallowing.  It is really, really cool to watch him figure out how to eat.  We have had no problems with gas, and he was a super gassy baby in the beginning, though his poop is pretty gross ;) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • karabbkarabb member

I am doing BLW with DS, but I'm wondering how many of your LO's are actually eating the food?

DS mostly plays with his and may get a piece or two down, but most is still on his tray when he is done. The book says they may not start truely eating for a couple months, but it seems like a lot of your LO's are already starting to do this.

• imagekarabb:

I am doing BLW with DS, but I'm wondering how many of your LO's are actually eating the food?

DS mostly plays with his and may get a piece or two down, but most is still on his tray when he is done. The book says they may not start truely eating for a couple months, but it seems like a lot of your LO's are already starting to do this.

If DS eats much of anything it is purely accidental. The only thing he really went to town on was pork loin, but he couldn't gum any pieces off. 

• ReneeRNReneeRN member
    I am also pretty freaked out about choking! Also, Reese doesn't have any teeth yet so she isn't actually able to chew...and gumming doesn't do much for a chunk in her mouth. I watched her take a chunk off a apple spear and it freaked me out, so I grabbed the chunk out of her mout. Reese actually loves purees (which I usually thicken with organic brown rice cereal), so I may stick with that for the most part and still offer chunks sparingly. 
    photo b5880bbf-17e0-491c-8d1e-181ee8707670_zps6b0bf0b5.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Aug 19, 2010 ParaGuard IUD Removed
    Sept 7, 2010 Dx w/Hypothyroidism (TSH 6.7) Began taking Levothyroxine
    Feb 15, 2010 BFP with #1
    Nov 1, 2011 DD1 Born
  • We started BLW this week because DS absolutely refuses the spoon. We've given him a few things so far and he will bring the food to his mouth for a second, but then decide he'd rather finger paint with it. Last night, though, we gave him a piece of boneless pork rib. He went crazy over it. I'll be honest my heart was in my throat the whole time because I was terrified about choking. He did surprisingly well. I don't know if he really swallowed much, but he enjoyed it. It was fun to watch him figure it out, too.
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    imagekarinothing:
    imagekarabb:

If DS eats much of anything it is purely accidental. The only thing he really went to town on was pork loin, but he couldn't gum any pieces off. 

Olivia doesn't have any teeth and what she eats is either accidental or just what her little gums manage to tear off.  We gave her broccoli and she got some of the florets (I know from her diaper). 

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"