August 2012 Moms

Hospital question for STMs

Is there really any need for the baby to have to be taken out of my room any time during our stay in the hospital?  I really, really would prefer for our son to stay with DH and I at all times, even to sleep. I know I?m a FTM, but I don?t see why he couldn?t stay with us.

Re: Hospital question for STMs

• most procedures can be done at the bedside if you request it.
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • My ds and dd were with us the entire time. But with my ds, they took him to get circ and they did it early in the morning, didn't wake me to let me know they were taking him, and I woke up to no baby and started freaking out.....no lie 2 seconds after I started freaking out they wheeled him back in. I flipped out on them. I told them they should have woken me up before they took him (we knew he was getting it done.....just didn't know what time). I was a FTM then. They apologized a lot but he never left my side and neither did my dd when I had her.

Now when I have this little girl....she too WILL NOT leave my room. And if for some reason she would have too......my dh is going with her if I cant! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • At my hospital LO stays with you the whole time. Everything they need to do for baby happens right in your room (except circs). They don't have a nursery, so you don't even have the option. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • That's I good question. DS failed his hearing test because we are CONVINCED he had his circ done right before ( he has no hearing problem). If the hearing test can be done in the room I am totally making them do it in the room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • With both of mine DH went with them to the nursery/nicu area (in our hospital it's like a mini nicu to get them ready for one in Sacramento if need be) while they were getting their tests,shots, etc. done and then they stayed with me the whole stay except for i think once with both of them they got taken back to the nursery for I think the hearing test..I don't really remember lol

All of the nurse checkups and pedi visit and all that jazz that happens before you leave was done in the room.

Just make sure to ask what the rules are for your particular hospital and express your want to have the baby with you as much as possible.

• Unless there is a medical emergency that requires NICU care, there's no reason that the baby would need to leave the room. In the absence of any health issues, nobody will separate me (or at least DH) from the baby at any time. If there is a test that requires equipment that can't come to the room, one of both of us will go with the baby. Especially if you want to breastfeed it's much better to never send the baby to the nursery. I know a lot of moms say to take advantage of the nursery for your own sleep/rest benefit, but once the baby is here, we'll be parents and it'll be time to start responding to baby's cues immediately.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • ks3pinkks3pink member
    I say use the nursery, at least at night.  Take advantage of a couple of nights of sleep.  DD stayed in my room most all day but not at night.  I plan to do the same thing this time around.  Yes its a little nerve wracking if you are awake and they aren't there but you can't be with them all the time.  Just my two cents.  GL!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope

unless a boy then curmumcision.

• This post has raised a lot of good questions for me to ask this week.  DH and I are touring two hospitals this week.  I have a few questions to ask before, but you STM's have given me some good thoughts to look into at each hospital.

Thanks!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • babyikebabyike member

Nearly all procedures/check-ups can be done in your room.  You might ask when you take your tour just to be sure.  DD never left our room during our stay.  And the only thing DS had to leave our room for was his circumcision, but DH stayed with him the entire time.  

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• At our hospital the baby is taken to the nursery twice a day for check ups. You can go with the baby if you want, except during circumcisions. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hospital has the baby staying in room for your entire stay unless you request otherwise.  DD stayed in our room (with the exception of when she was having tests done) and our rock star nurses came in during the night whenever DD cried to help out or to change her diaper or hand her to me to nurse...it was the most amazing experience- I really hope to have the same recovery experience. I've never heard a bad thing about my hospital's maternity ward
  • Our baby will be staying with us the whole time.  If she needs to leave for a test, my husband will be going with her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Halloween Shopping
  • xokell2xokell2 member

imageks3pink:
    I say use the nursery, at least at night.  Take advantage of a couple of nights of sleep.  DD stayed in my room most all day but not at night.  I plan to do the same thing this time around.  Yes its a little nerve wracking if you are awake and they aren't there but you can't be with them all the time.  Just my two cents.  GL!

This is what I did and plan on doing again.  

• Thanks girls! This makes me feel much better. I had this fear that they were going to take him to the nursery no matter what and I have kind of specific ideas about what I want for him. I do plan to breast feed and kind of do a modified version of attached parenting (at least for the first few months) so I want him with me as much as possible. DH will be at the hospital the entire time, and my parents will be visiting, so I have people I trust to care for him if I need to nap between feedings.
  • I know he left in the middle of the night for his hearing test and circumcision. I think that's about it, though. He stayed with us the entire time besides the times they needed him. The only time he stayed in the nursery was the day we left, I wanted to shower and for SO to get all the stuff we needed out of the car...
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think it also depends on the facility and your comfort level.  The hospital I'm using has a separate building for labor and delivery and it's super secure.  The NICU is housed by the patient rooms, there are cameras everywhere, they limit visitors to 3 at a time and everyone has to have an access badge to swipe into the maternity wing.  Right now I'd feel comfortable if they need to take her away but I may change my mind once she's born.  I visited a friend recently and her baby slept in the room and they did the hearing test in the room while I was there so it seems like they do offer that option.
  • imageScout2005:

You'll have to ask the hospital, they all have different policies.

I wanted DD by our side at all times too...and then Night Two hit and I was sobbing from exhaustion and hormones, and the very nice nurse insisted they take her to the nursery so I could sleep. 

It was the right call. 

This.  I INSISTED that DS stay in the room, but I totally wore myself out between visitors and feedings and recovery.  I breastfed, so for the second night, they brought him in for feedings.  He was away from me for a total of maybe 6 hours, but the sleep was much needed.  I'll play it by ear this time around.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

BFP 8/31/11; Missed miscarriage 10/14/11
    BFP 12/18/11; EDD 8/20/12--grow baby!

BabyFetus Ticker

"Playing music is supposed to be fun. It's about heart, it's about feelings, moving people, and something beautiful, and it's not about notes on a page. I can teach you notes on a page, I can't teach you that other stuff." Mr. Holland's Opus

• It most likely depends on your hospital policy.  Our hospital requires that all babies briefly check into the nursery during shift changes.  To be honest, I was not happy with all of the time that DS was taken to the nursery (and not always returned promptly), and will probably fight it more this time.  As a FTM, I was scared and didn't really stand up for myself/him like I feel that I should have--this time around won't be the same!!

Oh, and DS also had jaundice, so he spent one day under the bilirubin lights.  They did have a portable light that they'd wrap up with him when he was in my room (to nurse), but he spent most of his time under the big lights to get rid of the jaundice faster.  Obviously, not all babies require this, but it's not uncommon.  I was a hormonal wreck that day because I couldn't hold him much, and I cried most of the time--even when I was sitting in the nursery with him!  (The nurses probably thought I was crazy, haha!)

• TwizzleTwizzle member

Check with your hospital.  They always took DS to the nursery for checkup type things, hearing test, bath, and he had to be on the warmer for awhile.  We were always welcome to go with him.

On either the first or second night I sent him to the nursery so I could try to sleep but I ended up having them bring him back because I missed him! 

• It depends on your hospital policy. I used the nursery at night except for feedings, and because we have other little ones, I didn't expect my husband to be with me the entire time. I had the LO in the nursery during shower times, and they always brought them in for feedings.

Except for the circ (if you have a boy and go that route) there really isn't much that they can't do in your room assuming everything goes smoothly and there are no complications. 

Definitely get your questions answered, but go into it with an open mind.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had DD with us at all times.

One night a nurse came in and asked if we wanted us to take her. We said yes. She took her for a couple hours.  

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• byrne15byrne15 member
    For us, ds could have stayed in the room with us the entire time except for the circumcision.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"