September 2012 Moms

What are the shower rules for 2nd baby but different gender?

I'm sure this has been talked about but I haven't been on in awhile. I'm sure my sister and mom will have a shower for me. It's a boy this time. Do I register? 

Thanks!! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
Photobucket

Re: What are the shower rules for 2nd baby but different gender?

• I was told different gender and u get another all out shower.we are having a boy this time as well:-)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm having a girl this time and am NOT expecting a baby shower.  I don't really need anything other than bedding and clothes. 

I tend the think the closest to a shower 2+ moms should get is a post baby "sprinkle" or meet the baby party.  JMO.

• Loading the player...
  • I personally think you can have a shower if you want,

BUT the rule is that if they are close in age (under 2 years apart), no 2nd shower for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Where I'm from, second baby = no shower. It would be considered ultra tacky to have a repeat shower regardless of the baby's sex or the number of years between your kids.

I honestly had never heard of second showers until I joined TB! 

Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageSortaCrunchy:

Where I'm from, second baby = no shower. It would be considered ultra tacky to have a repeat shower regardless of the baby's sex or the number of years between your kids.

This in my area too.  And same with not hearing of one until the Bump.  Big issue in my family right now actually.  Mom is totally boycotting cousins shower.  Different sex, 5 years apart  I don't really have an issue with it, but some people can be greedy! 

• Well the question isn't really if I should have a shower or not. I know my mom and sister will have something for me though I'm sure it will be much smaller scale and just close friends and family. The question is more if I register or not?

I feel like I shouldn't and just let people get whatever they want -- but I could really use a few specific things. Maybe it would be better to just tell my family and they can tell people if they ask? Trying not to be tacky but also not wanting forty 0-3mo Carter's onesies when I really need other things.

Thanks!! 

Photobucket
  • klm1221klm1221 member

I never had a shower for my daugther- who was 2 last week.. AND people on here made comments when i asked about doing a sip and see party for this baby. I would host myself. I was told thats RUDE..

I still don't get why as no one came to a shower for me the first time... and can't believe how many people on "the bump" get to have 2 showers...

• Manx4Manx4 member
    I personally believe more than one shower is tacky - but I know some people disagree with me.  I don't understand why you would need more stuff the second time around.  It's not like with the first one where you didn't have anything and people helped buy the essentials, you should already have those.  It just seems gift grabby & AW to me.  But I guess to each their own. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageManx4:
    I personally believe more than one shower is tacky - but I know some people disagree with me.  I don't understand why you would need more stuff the second time around.  It's not like with the first one where you didn't have anything and people helped buy the essentials, you should already have those.  It just seems gift grabby & AW to me.  But I guess to each their own. 

My sister gave me A LOT of stuff first time around and I don't have them anymore b/c she had a LO last year. Carseat, stroller and breast pump to name a few. My DD is still in her crib and I gave my sister all the little stuff like bottles. I really only have toys, exercauser, swing and playmat type stuff. 

I better hit up the kids exchange! 

Photobucket
  • If you have friends/family that prefer to work off of registries then yes, I would think registering would be helpful to them.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • ckred27ckred27 member
    imageSortaCrunchy:

Where I'm from, second baby = no shower. It would be considered ultra tacky to have a repeat shower regardless of the baby's sex or the number of years between your kids.

Same here

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • we dont find out we like the surpise but my mom did mention that she would though a small shower for me. I would say to register what could it hurt and you would get the complication coupon anyway which is a bonus.

• I persinally dont think its tacky to have a shower the second time around if its a different gender, no matter how close your kids are in age.  it depends on your attitude IMO. Some STM act like the deserve a shower, while others graciously accept gifts from friends and family. My mom had a shower for each of her four kids (she didnt ask for them, people just wanted to throw them for her). 

I would definitely register though because there are things you will need and even if you have to buy them yourself, at least you get that coupon. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • I think that if your family is going to throw you a shower... then it is great. It would be tacky to throw yourself a shower and slap a gift registry link onto the invitation.

I have a one year old girl and just found out that our second (due Sept 30) is a boy. We will have a crib, car seat etc but with a second baby you do need things... like a double stroller! I know my co-workers are going to throw me a small shower and my mom will definitely want to because she wasn't able to attend the baby shower for our first child. This is also the first boy in mine or my husbands family (after 8 girls) so I get the feeling he is going to be spoiled rotten. I'm not asking people for anything but I'm definitely not going to refuse someones generosity. 

• One shower regardless of gender.  If the time between is 6-7+ years, then I could see having a small shower with family/close friends only.

I mean, I am not going to know the gender of my baby and still having 1 shower.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I always thought one shower per mommy.... I couldn't ask people to buy me things everytime I choose to have another baby... I think it's tacky
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"