Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do we really need all this stuff?

We bought a Chicco lullaby pnp, and have received an Arm's Reach co-sleeper and a Rock n Play.  We have a multi-story town home, and the plan has been to use the pnp on our main floor during the day and the co-sleeper as a bassinet at night.  We have a platform bed, so we can't use it as a co-sleeper (We're considering exchanging it for the Arm's Reach Euro, which does work with a platform bed, but DH is a little concerned that our snuggly little dogs will get too close to LO.) 

Do we really need all 3? DH likes the idea of the rock n play during the day, but not at night, so if we have the pnp, do we really need it? Or should we keep the rnp on the main level and use the pnp in our bedroom?  Thanks in advance! 

"Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."

Re: Do we really need all this stuff?

• We love our Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. Having LO eye level with me to where I can just look over and see him, and not having to do anything more than roll over to grab him at night is awesome. (There are leg extenders sold to increase the height, if that's your issue btw. They fit on the bottom like lego pieces.)

We are pretty anti-having a ton of baby gear so we don't have a pack n' play or rock n' play. We have a two story house and if we're downstairs, LO sits/sleeps in his bouncer or we just lay him down on a blanket on the carpet or couch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In a multi level home you will likely use them all. The rnp has been great since dd was diagnosed with reflux. It keeps her in a position that helps. As for the cosleeper you could probably use the rnp instead but you would have to get your DH onboard.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I never had a co-sleeper. We used the RnP as a bassinet at night. It worked super well. Why is your DH anti it at night? We were a bit worried about the pet situation too. And if you think it might be needed in other parts of the house then it's really mobile.

We used the PnP on our main level (bedrooms upstairs). We also relied quite a bit on our swing on the main level (which really if you're getting a swing it's not that much different than a RnP). We have additional living space in our basement and have a bouncer that we drag around the house if we need it.

IMO if you were looking to give up some stuff choose between the RnP and the co-sleeper for nighttime use.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was going to write a similar post so you read my mind! I currently have 2 pack n plays (one was handed down by a friend and one at my baby shower), Rock N Play and a bassinet. The new place I'm moving into is much larger and is multilevel. So I was considering using the bassinet in the bedroom for the baby to sleep in at night, the pack n play on the first floor in the living room for naps during the day and the other pack n play in the very bottom floor (we have a large open basement). The rock N play I'm just not sure if I need. I feel like its overkill. However, its most likely easier to transfer than the pack n play and people keep raving about it! I'm torn about it just like you. The good thing is that if you got the items from your registry then you might see how things work out without the rock n play. If you don't end up using it you can return it and buy baby diapers or whatever else will be needed later on down the line :)

I'll keep up with this post to see if anyone else has any input! Good luck to you! 

• I have a multi level home. I always put LO to sleep during the day where she slept at night. The first week she slept in the PNP in my room. She never slept longer than a few hours. My friend brought over a swing and w/o even turning it on LO fell asleep for hours. LO slept in the swing in my room until about a month old, then i pushed the swing down the hall into her own room. Around 4 months old when she was starting to roll i started putting her in the crib and she rolled over onto the tummy. Once in a while i let LO sleep in the bouncer in the living room.

I have used the PNP twice in the home since then. I had the flu and there was no way I was carrying LO up the stairs. So I set up the PNP in the living room and I camped out on the couch. The other time was when we traveled over the holiday weekend.

Honestly I would swap the RNP and the PNP for other things that are better multi use items. 

• eyenigheyenigh member
    I have all those things plus a full crib and I'd trade them all for the Rock and Play. He sleeps great in it and you can easily move it from room to room. I find the mattress on the Pack and Play too noisy for me to sleep because my son kicks around a lot. The co-sleeper didn't work for us because, again, I have a noisy baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• srs5624srs5624 member

Bed wise, we had a crib and a PNP in a three story townhouse. I'm not one to buy tons of baby stuff.

DS slept in his crib at night from the day we came home from the hospital.

The PNP was on the living level. He was in there a good bit during the day, until he hit about 3 months old... then he was on the floor all the time. The PNP has been packed in up in his closet since then.

• The RNP was the only thing I could get DD to sleep in when she was a NB.  She didn't want to sleep lying flat.  We used the PNP in the living room since it had a changing table on it bc her nursery was upstairs.  I don't think you need all 3.  But I think it is up to you which one to get rid of.

• I didn't think we would need a RnP until we found ourselves awake most of the night holding LO for her to sleep.  After a few nights in the RnP, DD was sleeping 6-8 hour stretches at 6 weeks.  Many babies just have trouble sleeping flat on their backs, especially if reflux is an issue.  The RNP was a  $40 well-spent and it was handy for traveling in those early days.  By 4 months, she was out of it and it now sits in the closet.

I might just keep that PNP unpacked or at grandmas house for now, and see how it will work for you to have the RnP downstairs or where you need it and use the cosleeper that works for you upstairs.  With all the other baby gear that you will use in the first few months, the smaller footprint of the RnP is a plus. 

• DH worries that the dogs won't settle down w/LO in the RNP.  They are small (male papillon & female rat terrier mix) and very attentive to all the children they meet, so the concern is that when "their" baby arrives, they will be so focused on protecting her that no one in our house will sleep.  My husband thinks if LO is in the bassinet, the dogs will see that she is safe in her little space and remain calm/keep to their nighttime routine.
    "Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"