Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Taking temperature - Braun Thermoscan Ear?

We received the Braun Thermoscan Ear thermometer as one of our shower gifts. However, at the hospital, they said that you shouldn't use it on newborns? I am bummed. So, is rectal the only way to take at this point? I am so nervous of hurting her! She has been fussy but doesn't seem warm, so I don't have to take it yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Taking temperature - Braun Thermoscan Ear?

• You can take an axillary temp (under the armpit).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rectal is the most accurate and most doctors will insist on a rectal temp if you call with concerns about a fever.  In newborns, it's extremely important that you know every exact degree of that fever.  What a lot of people do is take the temp by another method (like the ear) and if that comes back at all elevated, follow up with a rectal.  But do know, you won't hurt her.  Just put the tiny metal tip in, no more.  She won't even realize.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • dojo1dojo1 member

My hospital said no rectal temps... Risk of injury wasn't worth it to them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageDO-JO:

My hospital said no rectal temps... Risk of injury wasn't worth it to them. 

This is correct, we usually don't recommend people do it for this reason.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • eav2ceav2c member

imageklmbbb:
    You can take an axillary temp (under the armpit).

If you do under the arm, my pedi says, you need to add one degree as rectal is more accurate... Though I personally am not comfortable with rectal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used under-the-arm until she was big enough for the ear sensor.  There are also skin touch sensors now (although, I think they're expensive if you're only using it until you can use the ear thermometer), and - my least favorite - the "pacifier" thermometer."  The problem with the pacifier one is that it has to stay in the baby's mouth for a longer time than any pacifier has ever stayed inside my baby's mouth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"