August 2011 Moms

Standing in crib...put the bumpers back in?

My husband is insisting we put the bumpers back in DS's crib.  DS has just learned to pull himself to standing in his crib, and Hubby is concerned baby will bust his head open if he falls over...thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Standing in crib...put the bumpers back in?

• I think (although I have not tested the theory) that the bumpers can then be used as a kind of step and that could be just as dangerous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you; this makes perfect sense to me!  Appreciate the quick feedback.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCootieQueen170:
    I think (although I have not tested the theory) that the bumpers can then be used as a kind of step and that could be just as dangerous.

Agreed: if you have a little climber on your hands, they will step on the bumper and could launch themselves out of the crib.  

• imageRachey1082:

imageCootieQueen170:
    I think (although I have not tested the theory) that the bumpers can then be used as a kind of step and that could be just as dangerous.

Agreed: if you have a little climber on your hands, they will step on the bumper and could launch themselves out of the crib.  

Yep. DD1 can attest to that, too. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have always had ours on...and will keep them on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • I put the bumpers back in because Lincoln's legs were getting stuck and he'd bang his head against the crib in his sleep and it would wake him. I was nervous about it because he is standing in the crib, too. We ended up lowering the mattress twice in one week, ha!
    imageimage
  • imageKimbus22:

I'm just confused how the bumpers would keep him from hitting his head if he falls over the crib.  The bumpers would be in the crib.  Not on the floor next to it.  Am I picturing this wrong?

Oh wait, if he falls over IN the crib?  I'm still confused.  LOL

SN: I put DS's bumpers in yesterday because he keeps shoving both his legs through the bars up to the knees and screaming bloody murder.  I'm not sure how this is relevant aside from it's bumpers.  I'll stop talking now.  I need a nap.

Look for Breathable Bumpers if getting legs and arms caught are a problem.  A baby may end up with bumps & bruises from falls but one can not hit hard enough to cause serious damage inside the crib from a fall.  Puffy bumpers have been documented to cause suffocation as well as a step out of the crib, resulting in a fall that would cause more damage than bumps or bruises.  I have a set on our crib here at home and at my mom's, my SIL uses them for her 11 month old.  Amazon carries these if you can't find them locally. 

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• We have DS's bumpers back on, but on the top of the rails like a teether. DS was trying to ruin his beautiful new crib so I took the frugal way out and tied that expensive sucker over the top. Works like a charm and I get to use it finally! Not sure how a bumper would help with hitting their head though, unless your LO is a flailer! lol
  • imageKimbus22:
    imagefairy_diva:
    imageKimbus22:

I'm just confused how the bumpers would keep him from hitting his head if he falls over the crib.  The bumpers would be in the crib.  Not on the floor next to it.  Am I picturing this wrong?

Oh wait, if he falls over IN the crib?  I'm still confused.  LOL

SN: I put DS's bumpers in yesterday because he keeps shoving both his legs through the bars up to the knees and screaming bloody murder.  I'm not sure how this is relevant aside from it's bumpers.  I'll stop talking now.  I need a nap.

I considered that but once I did some research I found that breathable bumpers aren't actually any safer than regular ones.  They're kind of like the apnea monitors.  They provide a sense of security for the parents but really don't prevent anything.  So I'm going with the ones I already own.  I'm not really concerned.  My kid is huge and has no problem moving himself around.  I appreciate the suggestion though.

Look for Breathable Bumpers if getting legs and arms caught are a problem.  A baby may end up with bumps & bruises from falls but one can not hit hard enough to cause serious damage inside the crib from a fall.  Puffy bumpers have been documented to cause suffocation as well as a step out of the crib, resulting in a fall that would cause more damage than bumps or bruises.  I have a set on our crib here at home and at my mom's, my SIL uses them for her 11 month old.  Amazon carries these if you can't find them locally. 

I can understand that but the ones we have collapse when you put anything against the top and I can breathe air through them against my face.  I have seen a couple different of the breathable bumpers and purchased the mesh ones.  The Amazon description says "padded" but I assure you they're not, lol   The actual recommendation states:

Always place your baby on his or her back for every sleep time.

Always use a firm sleep surface. Car seats and other sitting devices are not recommended for routine sleep.

The baby should sleep in the same room as the parents, but not in the same bed (room-sharing without bed-sharing).

Keep soft objects or loose bedding out of the crib. This includes pillows, blankets, and bumper pads.

Wedges and positioners should not be used.

Pregnant woman should receive regular prenatal care.

Don?t smoke during pregnancy or after birth.

Breastfeeding is recommended.

Offer a pacifier at nap time and bedtime.

Avoid covering the infant?s head or overheating.

Do not use home monitors or commercial devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS.

Infants should receive all recommended vaccinations.

Supervised, awake tummy time is recommended daily to facilitate development and minimize the occurrence of positional plagiocephaly (flat heads).

We also used a Snuza for a few months after our LO was moved from our room at 7 months old to his crib in his room.  At this point he was rolling back to belly and would sleep tummy down.  Nothing I did would change that, I spent one night driving myself bananas turning him over and worrying.  He's on a firm mattress but still sleeps with half his face buried in the sheet.  Due to reflux he slept 2 weeks in his car seat, then we bought a FP RNP.  We use Halo 100% cotton sleep sacks, no loose blankets.  And follow everything else above.  

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"