March 2012 Moms

HCG Diet?

I worked out 3-4 days a week and was very fit pre-pregnancy, but I got very lazy after my 2nd trimester and didn't work out, and gained a total of 65 lbs.

I'm 5 weeks PP now, and down 35 lbs. I started hitting the gym at one week PP (slowly at first), but now I go to spining class several times a week and do at least an hour of cardio every day, plus 20-30 minutes of strength training. I also stick to a 1,200 calorie a day diet full of protein, veggies, fruits, and limited carbs (plain oatmeal and brown rice). I've been doing this, without cheating, for the past 3 weeks.

You'd think the weight would be falling off of me, but I have hit a wall and not lost a single pound in the past 3 weeks. So, I purchased the HCG Platinum X-30 drops, and just started this diet plan today. I am not breast feeding (I didn't produce).

I'm hoping these wil work to help kick-start my weight loss ... .have you guys heard anything about them? I've heard the injections are better (more potent) but they are much more expensive.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me, weight loss-wise? It just plain sucks, and it's making me feel depressed. I'm thrilled to be a mommy and my daughter is the absolute love of my life, but the weight issue is definitely the ugly side of post-pregnancy.

Re: HCG Diet?

• My weight has been holding steady for the last 2 weeks, but I haven't been trying all that hard to lose it.

The HCG diet isn't for me.  I know some people like it and think it kick starts stuff, but I've heard to do it effectively you have to eat minimal calories.  IMO, it's a fad diet, and I think your earlier plan sounded better.

Have you checked out sparkpeople.com?  You can track your calories and your exercise.  My gut is telling me you may not be eating enough calories to lose weight, but until you put your information along with your calories in/calories out each day, you won't know. 

• Two of my girlfriends did the injections (neither just had a baby).   They both lost about 10 lbs in the two or three weeks...but they literally had to eat 500 calories a day.  That to me just doesn't seem like it's good long term.  They have both gained some of it back...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll be surprised if you don't get flamed for this (over the years I've seen several flames for it!  The HCG diet is horrible and crazy.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Yeah, the HCG Diet is DANGEROUS! Seriously. Do not do it. There are better and safer ways of losing weight. There are always plateaus during weight loss. It happens, just keep doing what you are doing and you'll get there.

Also, even if the diet wasn't dangerous (which it is), it pisses me off that people like Dr. Oz approves this crap. Leave the HCG to the people who need it...infertiles. You realize since this stupid fad diet has started no only has it been harder to find HCG but it is a lot more expensive too. 

New to 3T? Check out this website first:
    TroubleTTC

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end --Semisonic

**TTC since 04/09, C/P 02/02/10; 4 weeks, 3 days**
    **Dx: Anovulation, Hypothryroidism, Mild Endo, Pituitary Adenoma (prolactin issues), PAI-1, MFI **

**7/10: Clomid + TI= BFN**
    **3/2/11: 1st RE appointment**
    **DH= Morph= 2%, Motility= 30%**
    **HSG= All clear!!**
    **3/11: Femara + Pregnyl + TI= BFN**
    **5/17/11: Laparoscopy / hysteroscopy = mild endo**
    **7/11: Novarel + IUI #1= BFN (7mil, 75% motility, 2% morph)**
    **8/11: Femara + Novarel + IUI #2= BFN (11mil, 35% motility, 1% morph)**
    **11/11: Femara + Novarel + IUI #3= BFN (9mil, 2% morph)**
    **Jan 2012: Follistim (75ius) + IUI #4= CANCELLED due to cyst -put on bcp**
    **Feb 2012: Follistim (75ius) + Novarel + IUI #4.2= BFFN (2.5mil, 13% motility, 1% morph)**
    **Mar 2012: Follistim (100ius) + IUI #5= CANCELLED due to 35mm & 14mm cysts**
    **On med break indefinitely...IF Sucks!**

**Jan 2013: Follistim (100ius) + IUI #5.2= CANCELLED due to high prolactin level, MRI scheduled, pituitary adenoma found, put on Dostinex**
    **Mar 2013: Follistim (100ius) + IUI #5.3= CANCELLED due to uterine polyp, surgery scheduled for polypectomy and D&C**
    **03/22/13: Hysteroscopy, polypectomy and D&C**
    **May 2013: Finally got to start a cycle!!! Follistim (100ius) + IUI #5.4 = BFFN (6mil, 74% motility, 2% morph)** 

**Jun 2013: Decide to start IVF**
    IVF w/ICSI #1 (Long Lupron Protocol)
    06/26/13: Start BCPs
    07/02/13: HSG #2= all clear
    07/15/13: Start Lupron 10 ius
    07/25/13: Suppression check
    07/28/13: Start stims (225IUs Follistim + 75IUs Menopur) drop to 5 IUs Lupron
    08/01/13: Monitoring: 12 follicles all about 10mm, E2- 313
    08/04/13: Monitoring: 18 follicles (15mm, 13mm, a few 11mm, rest 10mm or below) E2- 1,505
    Start Augmentin- antibiotic prep
    08/06/13: Monitoring: 13 follicles (18mm, 17mm, rest b/w 15mm-16mm!) Ready to trigger!! E2- 2,248
    08/08/13: ER-- 14R, 13M, 10F 
    08/11/13: One fertilized late, we now have 11 embryos!
    08/13/13: 5dt-- 2 blasts (Sheldon and Penny) 3AA and 3BB, none to freeze
    8/23/13: BFFN... Sheldon and Penny didn't stick**

**8/29/13: Follow up... bad fragmentation issues. Changing protocol to Antagonist for round #2 coming soon! Also started on 81mg Aspirin after getting blood panel done and found out I have PAI-1**

**Oct 2013: After large cysts, finally starting IVF #2**
    IVF w/ICSI #2 (Antagonist Protocol)
    BCPs started back in Sept due to cysts
    10/27/13: Start stims (225 IUs Gonal-F + 75 IUs Menopur)
    11/03/13 - 11/05/13: Add Ganirelix to the mix
    11/06/13: 3 follicles at 18mm-- Ready to trigger!
    11/08/13: ER-- 17R, 13M, 8F
    11/13/13: 5dt-- 2 blasts (Luke and Leia) 5AB and 4AB, 1 frostie
    11/20/13- 11/23/13: light positives on FRERs and Wondofos
    11/22/13: BFN per RE office (under HCG of 10)
    11/27/13: CP ::sigh::

*12/03/13: Follow up...great response and quality this time, was given 50% chance of it working, just didn't stick. Great plan for 2014! 

**Jan 2014: Last IVF of our SRP**
    IVF w/ICSI, freeze all, then FET
    12/27/13: Start BCPs
    01/19/14: Stims (375 IUs Gonal-F + 75 IUs Menopur)

Congratulations Cutebride!! --TWINS!! Congratulations, Luvie, on your sweet boy! Congrats, Jess! So happy for you ladies! <3<3  
    ~~Also best of luck to Kati, illinigal, and youngin!~~

*S/PAIFW*

• What does it mean to get flamed for something? I'm confused, sorry!
  • katib77katib77 member
    imagezookbride:

Yeah, the HCG Diet is DANGEROUS! Seriously. Do not do it. There are better and safer ways of losing weight. There are always plateaus during weight loss. It happens, just keep doing what you are doing and you'll get there.

Also, even if the diet wasn't dangerous (which it is), it pisses me off that people like Dr. Oz approves this crap. Leave the HCG to the people who need it...infertiles. You realize since this stupid fad diet has started no only has it been harder to find HCG but it is a lot more expensive too. 

THIS!  Don't do it!  You realize that the HCG is the hormone your body produces when you are pregnant.  Why would you want to do this to yourself?  Your bodies hormones are all crazy as it is (I'm guessing, since dealing with Infertility for years- I only know what I hear from my mommy friends).

And a quick search on the harms show this:

the government and mainstream medical community say it's a scam that carries too many health risks and doesn't lead to long-term weight loss.

"It's reckless, irresponsible, and completely irrational," says Pieter Cohen, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. "Can you lose weight on it? Of course, but that's mainly because you're hardly consuming any calories. And any benefit is not going to last." 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I have a friend that has lost a TON of weight using the HCG drops.  She did lots of research and bought from a particular website based off of the formulation of the drops (or so she said).  My ONLY concern is she's been doing the HCG plan on-and-off for over a year.  She doesn't have kids and I wonder what the effects of HCG and long-term usage could have on one's ability to conceive.  But that's just me.  Otherwise, good luck.  They can work but you have to be dedicated and can't cheat!
  • I didn't start exercising until after my 6 week pp doc visit. I agree with the others to slow down and will also mention the old rule/clich? about how it took 9 months to put it on so it could take 9 months to take it off (or at least give yourself that much time!). I realize everyone is different but now is definitely the time to enjoy your baby! There will be plenty of time to lose weight and to do it naturally.

ETA: I just realized you said you started going to the gym at 1 week pp. That's cray cray.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"