Baby Names
Options

Darn twilight!

Opinions on the name Esme, has twilight ruined it? Any middle name suggestions?

Re: Darn twilight!

• Options

I love Esme, but would be scared to use it due to everyone thinking I named my baby after Twilight. Then again, my name is Kayla and I've been asked quite a bit if I was named after the Days of Our Lives character and it hasn't damaged me. No, I was not named after her. lol

ETA:

Esme Caroline

Esme Olivia

Esme Paige

Esme Victoria

Esme Amelia

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    I think it is a pretty name. I haven't read or seen any of the Twilights, so I didn't make that connection. Although, knowing how popular Twilight is, I'm sure people will make the connection. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love it and don't think it's very popular at all even after the movie. 
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options

A couple thoughts:

I could care less about Twilight. I am even a reader who loves young adult lit, and I haven't bothered to pick up the series. The author used super classic names (for the most part), and I really don't buy into the idea that the majority of the names "belong" to that series as they were well-established names beforehand.

That said, Esme (since it's more unusual) does have more of a Twilight feel to it. But... yeah, I guess my apathy towards the series is just really strong because I really just don't think it matters lol. If you were naming your child something like Hermione or straight up Harry Potter, then I'd say okay, they are practically cultural icons that supersede the series at this point so you may want to consider that. But I feel like the only people who care about Twilight are those who love Twilight.

• Options
    I would definitely assume that someone who named their child Esme was a huge Twilight fan because Esme is uncommon.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I totally agree with Zara that the only people who care about Twilight are those that love Twilight, and honestly, I can't think of anyone close to me that fits the bill.  I have not read Twilight, but when I googled the boy name we chose I found out it's from Twilight, and my runner-up name choice is too!  It's not dissuading us from using the name.  I don't think as many people will associate the name with Twilight as you fear, and to be honest, I think Twilight is a passing fad.  In two years, I don't think you'll hear anyone say "Oh, so you named her after Twilight?"

• Options

Twilight is dumb.  Use the name you love. 

Esme Rebecca

Esme Jean

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't let pop culture influence your naming decision. Esme is a nice name and certainly not very common.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's a beautiful name and I'm on the fence about it being bad because of Twilight... on one hand she's not one of the main main characters... on the other hand it's more unique than Edward or even Bella so it may be associated with it more.  I just don't know.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think it's a beautiful name, and it's not nearly as Twilight-ish as Edward or Bella. In a few years, I don't think people will automatically make the connection.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Screw twilight.

Its a beautiful name and was around long before and will be around long after, just like Edward Isabella and Jacob .  

Esme julia

Esme Ann

Esme Rose. 

• Options
    I personally had never heard of it before reading the series, so I definitely associate it with Twilight. But it's a beautiful name. Some mn ideas: Esme Debra Esme Elisabeth Esme Abigail Esme Faith Esme Andrea Esme Cynthia

• Options

I love Esme. It's beautiful and feminine.

I don't think Twlight has ruined any names. I think it's silly to avoid using a name because a bunch of 14-year-olds like a book.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yeah, I think Twilight ruined it. Too bad.

• Options

As long as you're not using Renesme or whatever bumfvck made up 14 year old girl name they smooshed together for the book, then you are in the clear.

Isabella and Jacob were popular names before the book as well.

• Options

As a mom of Esme, I cannot tell a lie:if you name your baby Esme every female between the ages of 12 and 52 will have the following reaction when you tell them her name is Esme-

*Head tilt to the side* "Oh, like from Twilight?!"

Sometimes I say just say no, sometimes I tell them its just a French name we liked, sometimes I tell them its from a Salinger story, and sometimes I just say, "yeah" (usually to the very young ones).

FWIW, despite the Twilight annoyance and the constant mispronounciations I am *so so so so* glad we went with Esme! :)

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• Options

Oh and we have Esme Julia but also debated:

Esme June

Esme Jane

Esme Josephine

Esme Michelle

Esme Debbie Ann (after my mom)

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• Options
    Hardly.
    Esme Cullen is one of the least mentioned characters in the series. In fact, the only time I remember reading about her for more than just a couple pages is in the fourth book.
    TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

Yeah, never read it and don't think of it when I hear Esme. 

Keep in mind that the people who will be asking if the name is a reference will soon be consumed with other hot-topic books and will totally forget the series in a relatively short time.  Also, growing up, the books will be well before the time of her classmates, so they shouldn't ever hassle her about it.

Super feminine, lovely name though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"