August 2012 Moms

S/O the second hand post...

Would you buy a second hand breastpump?

A close friend asked if I wanted to buy her Medela Swing. She only used it less than 2 weeks, before she bought a hospital grade pump, and pumped full time.

Of course I would buy my own tubing and shields and stuff.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O the second hand post...

• I wouldn't mind it especially since you'll be replacing all the stuff that will come into contact with your milk. I used my sister's pump and it was fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sounds gross to me but if replacing the parts doesn't contaminate maybe if it's someone I knew only!
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as it is from someone you know, I'd be ok with it.  My SIL used her pump for 2 weeks and that was it, so she gave it to me.  I'll definitely be using it and saving myself the $300 to buy brand new.  I will, of course, get new tubing and shields, etc. 
  • If you rent them its used.  I see no issue.  i guess there are some parts that lock and cant be replaced- someone else mentioned a while back on another post- But I have used a friends' pump when I had ds # 1.  just boil everything. 

I think in the long run if you plan on using it for a while and borrowing it- buying may be the best option in the long run.. JMO 

lolololo
  • Okay thanks!

She's selling me it for a really awesome price, and since I (plan on) only using once or twice a day I didnt want to invest in an expensive pump.

• imageAprilAngie:

If you rent them its used.  I see no issue.  i guess there are some parts that lock and cant be replaced- someone else mentioned a while back on another post- But I have used a friends' pump when I had ds # 1.  just boil everything. 

I think in the long run if you plan on using it for a while and borrowing it- buying may be the best option in the long run.. JMO 

rental pumps are closed systems, most pumps that you buy (medela included) aren't... (ameda is closed).  the difference is that with an open system milk can get into the motor and it cannot be cleaned. this can cause contamination in your milk and mold.  so even if you change the tubing and everything there may still be milk in the system in the motor which you cannot boil. 

That said. if it is a friend that you trust has no diseases and took good care of it and cleaned it as best as she could I would probably do it. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a pump like this at a sale or from a random stranger but I think it is different if it is someone you know and trust.  

Good luck!

(you may also want to post this on the BF page... they are super helpful and nice)  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• A really close friend of mine just had a baby and was unsuccessful with bf.  She also offered me her medela handsfree pump.  I know her and trust her and she only used the pump a few times for 2 weeks.  I will change all of the pieces, but I plan on using hers.  

I realize this is controversial, but with all of the facts I have it makes sense to use it!

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"