Food Allergy

Possible peanut allergy after ER visit yesterday, lots of ?'s

Yesterday we gave DD PB for the 1st time...possibly 2nd.  A DCP that we're no longer with 'thinks' she accidentally gave DD PB one day - this happened about 1 1/2 years ago - so if she did in fact give it to DD, yesterday would have been the 2nd time she's had it. 

Long story short, swollen lips lead us to the ER.  Benadryl and a steroid seemed to take care of it, and we were discharged after a while and went home.

I have a couple of questions...

1. I called DD's primary clinic today, and they don't want us to see an allergist, they want us to come there.  Does that seem normal?  I feel like for something like this maybe we should see an actual allergist?

2. Also, we can't get DD in for testing for nearly 2 weeks, we were told she has to be off of the meds they started last night for a full week, which would put us to Thursday/Friday next week.  I have an appointment for her next Friday.  I'm guessing they'll do testing, and then even more time will go by while we wait for results.  Should we have an EpiPen on hand in the meantime just in case?  I was talking with someone and they were surprised that the ER didn't send us home with one.

3. Aside from obviously reading labels and being careful, is there anything else I need to do/know in the meantime?

Thank you so much for any advice/info you can give me - I'm glad this board is here for support!

Re: Possible peanut allergy after ER visit yesterday, lots of ?'s

• DS has an allergy to soy and his twin sister has an allergy to milk - both have delayed vomiting/gastro reactions to those. We gave DS peanut butter for the first time recently and he had a mild (and somewhat delayed) reaction - he vomited and got one hive on his face about 45-1 hour later. He had skin testing done prior to giving him peanut butter and the results were negative (at the site of all the allergens, he had no reaction, but he did have a few "satellite" reactions randomly on his body which they believed were from the control). I called the allergist after the peanut butter incident and he told us not to give any peanut products and to keep an Epi Pen with him (and called in a prescription for one) because reactions can vary between each exposure...and we will re-evaluate at a their follow-ups in the summer.

1. I asked for a referral from the pediatrician's office when we suspected DD's milk allergy. We took her to see a regular allergist and then took both to see a pediatric allergist. I would suggest seeing a pediatric allergist.

2. If they do skin testing, you will have the results during the appointment, you have to wait about 15 minutes to see the reaction.  Blood tests took a week or two.  If you would feel more comfortable, I would call the pediatrician and ask for an EpiPen in the meantime (have the pharmacist show you how to use it, precautions, etc....if you do get it before seeing the doctor)....and what to do in the event of another reaction (benadryl dosage, when to use epi, etc.).

3. This is very new to me too so I don't have a lot of advice other than to read labels and be careful about what you give your DD. But, foodallergy.org has some helpful info.  Good luck!!

imageimage
  • One more question...does it seem odd that we made it all the way to 3 without knowing?  I'm just wondering because I feel like at some point she's been bound to have something with peanut oil or something that's been on or around peanuts, even if it hasn't been peanuts, or in this case peanut butter, specifically.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter who has been eating many forms of nuts on a daily basis for 2 years had a severe reaction to a macadamia nut touching her lip on Friday night. Her lips and face swelled and she broke out in full body hives. Paramedics came to the house and said she did not need to go to the ER since she didn't swallow it and her airway was fine. We gave benedryl for the night.

1. I called and made an appt with an allergist for her and her ID twin ASAP. We got an appt for next Tuesday for allergy testing. We are going to the pedi for their 3 yr appt three days after so I'm thinking that will be the right order so we can discuss what the allergist finds.

2. Our pedi called in an epi pen prescription immediately and we picked it up on Saturday morning and it will go everywhere with us.  They even called one in for her ID twin who did not react, just in case she does next time since they scientifically have the same DNA. It seems like it would be smart to get one as well.

3. My girls turn 3 on Saturday and have been eating peanuts, walnuts, cashews, almonds, pine nuts etc at least 5X a week since they were one and this is the first reaction we've seen. Crazy isn't it. :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • TwirpleTwirple member

DS has a peanut allergy too.  We have him peanut butter for the first time and he broke out in hives everywhere the peanut butter touched.  We gave him Benadryl and took him to our pediatrician, who prescribed an epi-pen right away.

I was told that with peanuts, the reaction can get worse each time you come into contact with them.  I would definitely call your pediatrician and ask for an epi-pen. Better safe than sorry. 

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• In response to  your question, like pp said, I've also heard each exposure can lead to a worse reaction with peanuts...so maybe she had a mostly unnoticeable reaction if she had ever been exposed to it before. Also, it seems like everyone has a different type of allergy...some can tolerate a small amount consumed, and some can't even be in the same room with the allergen....so it varies. Also, it seems like allergies can start at any time - my co-worker ate gluten her whole entire life and one day when she was in her late 20s had an anaphylactic reaction.
    imageimage
  • Thank you all so much - I finally got in touch with DD's pedi yesterday (versus the nurse which was who I was previously speaking with) and her pedi said yes, we can definitely get an EpiPen if that makes us more comfortable at home, so I'm comforted knowing we'll at least have one around just in case while we're waiting for testing.

I never thought of that - what MrsMac08 said - about maybe she has reacted before, but it could have been so minor we never even noticed...something to think about I guess since it seems like a 3 year old is bound to come into some sort of contact with it eventually, weather it be peanut oil, or a candy made in a factory with nuts.

I took all of her Easter chocolate away once we found out - I felt so bad, I tried to explain why, but until we get test results I don't want to say too much to her just in case that's not it - although I cannot imagine what else it would have been that swelled her lips so bad.

• I, personally, developed a peanut allergy. As a child, I always loved eating PB&J sandwiches. One night, before going to bed, I ate a snickers bar... Went to bed, and was awakened by my throat closing. Long story short, I grew into that particular allergy. With being a chronic allergy patient, I have found that it is very common to "grow" into an allergy as our bodies are changing rapidly. I am very surprised that they didnt give you an EpiPen for the baby, though. And I can only assume the reason the Ped wanted you to bring her im prior to going to an allergist is because Allergists usually only takes referrals. It's a tough, but sticky situation to be in. Like, I said before I am allergic to Peanuts, but can consume other nuts. Chick Fil A cooks all of their food in Peanut Oil and I can eat them without a problem. Just be encouraged and pay attention!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageseattlestef:

My daughter who has been eating many forms of nuts on a daily basis for 2 years had a severe reaction to a macadamia nut touching her lip on Friday night. Her lips and face swelled and she broke out in full body hives. Paramedics came to the house and said she did not need to go to the ER since she didn't swallow it and her airway was fine. We gave benedryl for the night.

1. I called and made an appt with an allergist for her and her ID twin ASAP. We got an appt for next Tuesday for allergy testing. We are going to the pedi for their 3 yr appt three days after so I'm thinking that will be the right order so we can discuss what the allergist finds.

2. Our pedi called in an epi pen prescription immediately and we picked it up on Saturday morning and it will go everywhere with us.  They even called one in for her ID twin who did not react, just in case she does next time since they scientifically have the same DNA. It seems like it would be smart to get one as well.

3. My girls turn 3 on Saturday and have been eating peanuts, walnuts, cashews, almonds, pine nuts etc at least 5X a week since they were one and this is the first reaction we've seen. Crazy isn't it. :(

Your experience almost mirrored exactly what happened to my DD (was almost 2.5 yo at the time and ate a cashew, which she had been eating with almonds, etc for her whole life and not had issues).  We had one bad reaction similar to what you described (severe facial swelling, hives but thank god no airway restriction).  Just wanted to give you encouragement...We have the EpiPen and she takes a daily zyrtec for seasonal allergies but knock on wood we haven't had any episodes since that one time.  We avoid eating tree nuts but aren't that careful about the "manufactured on/with" stuff.  She tested positive for peanut allergy but since she's never presented with a reaction our allergist recommended just keep on giving until there is...

Two kids..5 and 2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"