October 2012 Moms

Were you given special instructions for a/s?

My doctor gave me instructions that said I have to empty my bladder an hour before the appointment, drink 24 oz. of water, and then hold my bladder for an hour until after the a/s. So when I asked the receptionist if I had to chug down 24 oz. of water in a minute, she kindly responded "Yes, sorry!" I just wanted to make sure since this is a different practice from my last one (we've moved twice since DS was born.)

I remember with DS having to drink a lot and hold it for a long time. It was like torture.

Anyone else get specific instructions about peeing and drinking water? 

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

Re: Were you given special instructions for a/s?

• My instructions just said no caffeine and no more than 1 guest in the room. That was pretty much it. I may call to make sure there's no bladder related requirements.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• I didn't have to do this my DS and thankfully I am seeing the same doctor.  I do not think I could enjoy the scan at all if all I was thinking about is having to pee. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to drink 3 glasses of water an hour and a half before my appointment and hold it; however, the last time I went for an ultrasound, I had to pee so bad thirty minutes before I went in. I went pee and then chugged two bottles of water and my bladder was so full by the time my appointment rolled around the tech made me empty it a little!

• My instructions were to drink 16 oz of water an hour before, and I'm assuming they meant that I can't go to the bathroom after drinking the water. They said to eat like I normally would, no restrictions on food.
  • My instructions were not that detailed!  They just said to come with a full bladder.
  • I was only told to drink 8 oz of water a half hour before. Although I was also told it would be intravaginal... is that normal?
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• imagebabyhunbun7:

I didn't have to do this my DS and thankfully I am seeing the same doctor.  I do not think I could enjoy the scan at all if all I was thinking about is having to pee. 

I remember it being tough! I had to go SO bad. This time, mine is at 8am though, and since I'm up using the bathroom throughout the night and really parched in the morning, I think this will go a little bit easier. I'm hoping at least. 

• imageRachelilly23:

My doctor gave me instructions that said I have to empty my bladder an hour before the appointment, drink 24 oz. of water, and then hold my bladder for an hour until after the a/s. So when I asked the receptionist if I had to chug down 24 oz. of water in a minute, she kindly responded "Yes, sorry!" I just wanted to make sure since this is a different practice from my last one (we've moved twice since DS was born.)

I remember with DS having to drink a lot and hold it for a long time. It was like torture.

Anyone else get specific instructions about peeing and drinking water

Yup, I got a printed sheet of instructions to drink 24oz of water 1 hour before the a/s.  They said I can take up to 10 min to drink it and I can put Crystal Light or Mio in it if needed. 

A friend of mine gave me some advice from experience: Wear a panty liner in case you leak a little. You'll have to pee really bad and they will be pushing on your bladder to see the baby better.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAraDesi:
    I was only told to drink 8 oz of water a half hour before. Although I was also told it would be intravaginal... is that normal?

I'm not sure that's normal, but I'm sure some places do it? I've never had an u/s done after 12 weeks that was trans-vaginal though. 

• hs10hs10 member
    My doc didn't say anything about drinking water, but everyone else I've talked to said they had to drink the water and not pee.
  • No instructions.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With DD I specifically remember the tech asking if I had to go to the bathroom and letting me go before the a/s.  I wasn't given any special instructions before hand nor was I this time.  I've never even heard of needing a full bladder for the a/s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imageMrs.G123:
    No instructions.

This. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedvladybug:

imageMrs.G123:
    No instructions.

This. 

Me too. 

Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • They just told me to eat before, they didn't say anything else really. So DH and I are going out for breakfast before my appt.
    boots badge
  • I got instructions on how to drink water, which I'm going to basically ignore, because they're insane.  The point is, they want me to show up with a full bladder...which I can do.  I did make a point of asking how long I'd have to keep my bladder full, and they said for only about 10 minutes of the appointment, even though they said the ultrasound would last a while longer.  So that's good, I guess?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I used to work in a radiology department and having a full bladder was standard protocol.  It used to be 24 ounces 1 hour before and now it's 12-16 ounces 1 hour before.  Go to the bathroom before you drink it.  By the time you get their your bladder will be full, but you shouldn't be too uncomfortable.  Another thing is that depending on who is doing the exam and what views/pictures they take, they may/may not need you to empty it.  For us, they would take so many views with a full bladder, then allow you to empty it for the rest, as to not torture the patients.  With DD I had to do the 12 ounces and it wasn't bad at all.  This time I'm seeing the perinatologist for the exam and they told me I didn't have to have a full bladder.
  • I was given an instruction sheet, basically I have to empty my bladder about 1 1/2 hours before the appointment and then drink 3 8oz glasses every 1/2 hour.

Last time they let me go to the bathroom after they got the photos they needed and finished up without a full bladder.

• I just made this appointment with an MFM (High Risk OB) and asked about my bladder.  She said it could be empty.  Not sure if this is b/c it is an MFM, twins, or just a doctor's preference. 

I am very happy I don't have to have a full bladder as I over-do it.  During the IVF transfer, my bladder was so full I was in pain!

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was told to drink a ton of water before my first u/s with DS.  I was soooo uncomfortable and my bladder was so full that the u/s tech had me empty my bladder because it was obstructing my uterus.  She said that she didn't know why they told everyone that because it wasn't necessary.  I haven't done it for any ultrasound since and have had no problems.  I just try to stay hydrated (which isn't really a problem).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • imageAngelSong76:
    imagedvladybug:

imageMrs.G123:
    No instructions.

This. 

Me too. 

Me three. I think it depends on the quality of the u/s machine.  I think that is standard procedure for older machines.  my doctor's office has newer ones, and my friends and I who go there never got those instructions. But my two friends who go to another practice where the machines are older got those no peeing instructions.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • I'm headed in on Wednesday for the a/s.  Just got an appointment confirmation call today and it said "this scan does not require a full bladder."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagedanienross:
    With DD I specifically remember the tech asking if I had to go to the bathroom and letting me go before the a/s.  I wasn't given any special instructions before hand nor was I this time.  I've never even heard of needing a full bladder for the a/s.

I'm thinking it must depend on their specific equipment.  The U/S tech at my OB's office ALWAYS asks me if I need to empty my bladder before the U/S.  And with as much pushing as she was doing during the NT scan, there's no WAY I could have done that with a full bladder! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was told to empty bladder 1 hour before and then drink 16 ounces of water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"