Babies: 9 - 12 Months

1st b'day party - opening presents "during" or "after" party?

just wondering what etiquette regarding this topic is these days. Smile

birthday party (#1) for DD will be at our home, between 3-6pm (hopefully DD will be done with nap by then), mostly family (mainly adults) and a few close friends; roughly 40 people; a handful of kids all older than DD.

your thoughts & comments would be GREATLY appreciated, everyone! Cake

I get the feeling MIL will be asking....hahaha

[Poll]

Re: 1st b'day party - opening presents "during" or "after" party?

• We always open presents during the party and let the older children help to speed up the process.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • THANKS - that's a great idea!
  • Loading the player...
  • We opened during because it didn't seem like anyone was leaving LOL Within the hour after opening presents the house emptied out. People want to see your reaction to their gift :)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • We will do it durning. Why would you do it after?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I was "considering" after because I don't know that she'll patiently sit through the whole thing; I have 50 on the guest list at this point so who knows how long I'll be able to have her attention. I may really just leave it up to that day and see how things are flowing.

THANK YOU TO EVERONE WHO VOTED OR WROTE ME BACK! Wink

• I think we will do it during. It will be a smaller party, so it makes sense to do it during. But I have been to larger parties where they waited and opened them after. I guess it just depends on time, logistics, etc. 
  • I honestly am not sure yet---we will be having a larger party--about 40-50 people if people actually RSVP'd lol.  

My concern about doing it during is the craziness--and honestly not knowing who got her what--and trying to figure it out for the thank yous. And I honestly don't think she would be patient enough for us to write it down. 

I think we will have to figure out logistics and things like that first.  

My daughter is my hero.
  • Its funny, I was raised to think that opening presents while the guests were there was the polite thing to do.  So we usually do unless we just run out of time.  However, I CAN NOT tell you the last time I went to a birthday party where the presents were opened...even for 3, 4, 5 and 6 year olds.  Forget the birthdays where you are at a Bounce U type party to.  You get there and the facility has you drop the presents into a bin and you never see them again...don't even know if they get to the birthday child.  So tacky.  I know that some people feel that its not fair to the other kids or the birthday kid because if the gifts are opened, everyone will want to play with the toys, etc.  I at least try to make the effort.
  • Like PP when growing up I was taught that the polite thing to do was to open the gifts at the party (weddings being an exception), it was part of the planned events.  The whole idea of not doing it until after the party is one that I've just recently heard of.  We opened at her party, but only had about 20 people.  My thought is that if there are a lot of people, do it in shifts.  That way LO gets a break and everyone gets to see him/her open their gift.  
  • Once you have kids and have been to a million little kids parties your answer will for sure change until AFTER. I have only been to 1 party in the last 3 1/2 years where they opened them at the party. Mainly because little kids (2 and 3 year olds) can't sit through that and they get confused as to why the "birthday" person is opening and getting all the gifts and they aren't. Every time we go to a party my daughter asks which gift is for her, no matter how many times I prep her before hand that the party is for someone else. We always open gifts after.

I could see the exception being all adults at a 1 year old party, but if there are kids there, I suggest doing it after.

• You could spread it out, a few presents here, a few there. We're throwing that idea around.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For DS's 1st bday we did the whole 'open in a group' thing and by his 3rd we opened one or two here or there...and had him open it with the person who was giving it to him. So much more fun for all.

I think for DS2's 1st bday coming up I'll have him open with the person who gave the gift when they have a free moment. There will be enough pressure to perform with the smash cake. :)

• We are planning an open house/BBQ for DS's birthday AND Canada Day which is only 3 days after his birthday.  There will be mostly adults, though some friends who come earlier will bring their kids.  I don't really expect or hope people bring gifts (other than family, I know the Grandparents, etc. will) gifts since we're combinign the two holidays, nor do I plan to make our child-free friends sit while we open gifts for an hour, especially if not everyone brings one.  I am not sure what our plan will be.  Maybe since people will arrive at different times we will grab DS and have him open things as people arrive?
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"