Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Weaning from the swaddle has been really difficult. Suggestions?

My daughter has been swaddle since the begging and she was an awesome sleeper, sleeping 8-11 hours at night.

I took away the the swaddle one week ago (when she started rolling) and put her in a sleep sack instead (both arms free) now she's waking up every 2ish hours.  Any idea how long this might last?

Those arms are just causing so much trouble, from popping her pacifier out to cold hands to flailing with the reflex, 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning from the swaddle has been really difficult. Suggestions?

• Options
    I'm very curious to hear answers, because I have the same dilemma!  Amazing sleeper with the swaddle... up every few hours in the sleep sack.  I switched back to the swaddle because I figured I still had a little more time before I NEEDED to break him out of that habit.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

No advice but same exact thing here. It sucks and I wish I knew how to fix it. I have reverted back to feeding to see if that works, not sure if she is waking so much partly because she is hungry (aside from no swaddle) or if she is waking up just because of no swaddle and then realizing that she is actually hungry. I hope it ends soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had our first full night with both arms out last night (yay!!)!! We have been taking baby steps. When he started rolling about 3 weeks ago we took one arm out (tried two arms but that was NOT working). Within about a week we were able to have him fully transitioned for all naps and bedtime. The tough part for us has been that second arm. We started slowly for naps and at bedtime he really didn't last long with both arms out. For the last week or so all naps have been with both arms out but at nightime we would swaddle up one arm because he would wake at 1am then every 20mins. Finally last night I was determined and I sat by his crib for a couple hours (easier than getting up from bed every 20 mins) and I settled him quickly if he started to fuss. He really only fussed a couple times. Also had to get up at 4 to settle him once. We are leaving in a few days to stay at our in-laws for 4 nights and I thought it would be good timing to have him used to having both arms out since they will babysit him one night. Good luck :-)
  • Options
    I'm just swaddling my kids until they go to college.  Last night they both STTN for the first time and I'm just not willing to ever give that up Stick out tongue
  • Options
    We tried weaning from the swaddle off and on starting at 4 months.  Finally, 2 Friday's ago it finally worked.  We quit cold turkey and I think it was because he was finally ready.  Just give it time.  I would keep her swaddled for another 2 weeks and then try it again.  Do this untill it works.  We went from sleeping great, to bad, to great again when we stopped swaddling.
  • Options

We transitioned DD to her crib at 4 months. She was swaddled in her bassinet, so I tried one arm out on Night 1 of Operation Crib Transition. She slept great. Night 2, not so much. She rolled and rolled and rolled and that's when we had to remove the swaddle completely. She passed out after 4 hours of crying (most of that time was us rolling her back over to her back from her tummy). She has slept on her tummy, swaddle free (and paci free!) since that night. We killed many birds with one stone that night. She was just ready.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageJen0204:
    I'm just swaddling my kids until they go to college.  Last night they both STTN for the first time and I'm just not willing to ever give that up Stick out tongue

This :) And DH said he would build rock'n'plays to fit up to a high-schooler so we are set!  Unfortunately no SSTN but I hope someday... 

• Options

imageJen0204:

This! My sister swaddled her son until he was 8 months old, so I plan on trying it out once in a while but I'm not in any hurry to stop the swaddle. 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The past 3 nights were DS's first out of the swaddle and we put him in a Magic Sleep Suit. In the swaddle he pretty constintely slept 9-10 hours without waking at all. He'll sleep a solid 7 hours with no trouble in the sleep suit but when he starts to wake up a little around 4 am he has a little bit of trouble going back to sleep (probably because he can move his arms) so I have to give him his paci every once in awhile from 4-7ish before he's up for the day. Last night he stayed asleep until 8 with me helping with the paci do I think we're improving!
  • Options
    We tried right at 4 months, and it didn't work, so we swaddled for another 2 weeks. When we tried again, we just did it loosely. After a few nights, she was breaking free and sleeping fine. Then we swaddled arms out, and eventually went o the sleep sack. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"