Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sleep Deprived...and losing it.

DD is 15 mos old and up until recently as been the poster child for a good sleeper.  2 naps and STTN at 10 weeks (for reals).  Just recently she's decided to go on official sleep strike.  At first she would go to sleep (awake) in her crib and then wake up screaming/crying/inconsolable in the middle of the nite.  Sometimes she would get herself back to sleep, other times the only was she would go back is if we picked her up and either rocked her or put her in bed with us.  Once in bed, she slept like an angel.

Now she wont even go in the crib at nite.  We've tried letting her cry (torture), having her fall asleep in bed with us and then transfer to crib, just to have her wake up 2-3 hrs later and then we are just so desperate for sleep we put her in bed with us.

We are in a 1 bedroom apt with her crib in our room.  My husband and i take turns on the couch when she sleeps in bed with us.  i know she is getting her molars which are painful, but i get the feeling she is taking advantage of us and just wants to sleep in the bed.  She has moved to the toddler room at daycare with 1 long afternoon nap (2hrs-ish), but they dont sleep in cribs anymore (those cot things).  She is fine at school and only gives us a hard time at bedtime.  Her routine, bath, book, cup, bed is still adhered to and we try to put her to bed around 730 - 8pm.

i've been living on caffeinated beverages for a month.  im hanging on by a thread

i realize there is no easy fix, so maybe im just venting.

If this keeps up, she will never get a baby brother/sister.

sigh......................

Re: Sleep Deprived...and losing it.

• imaget watley:
    You need to let her cry it out. 

I was thinking the same thing.  DS had this issue for a little bit and we tried CIO.  By the 3rd day, he would fuss for 2 minutes and then fall asleep on his own.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imaget watley:
    You need to let her cry it out. 

This!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • i know.  im afraid.  but it may be the only way.

• yes advil for her teeth.  maybe the tablets would work better.  she's not the best medicine taker.

• Look up The Sleep Lady Shuffle, the woman's name is Kim West, and she has a book - "Good Night, Sleep Tight".

My kids slept in our room/co-slept with us, but I find they start becoming more sensitive to us coming into bed or sleeping near them around 12 months, so that might be happening wuth your DD. It sounds like she might have had a few night terrors initially, too.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• DS is about the same age as your DD. He has never been a good sleeper but he was getting much better. UNTIL he started cutting his molars, he has been awful for the last 2 weeks. I hate to let him CIO when I know he is in pain, plus we have tried CIO in the past and it has not worked for us.
  • We went through almost this exact thing with DS when he was getting his molars (he had 3 come in at the same time and then the last one a few weeks later), and I legitimately think that AT FIRST it is due to the pain (please give your child some pain relief meds) and then they do almost get used to you either rocking them, bringing them back to sleep with you, etc. DS was the same way and for about 3 straight weeks he was cutting those EFFING molars and we lost so much sleep. But then once they came through, I knew he was doing it almost as a habit, so we let him CIO. He is back to normal and sleeping like he used to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Eh I'm pretty pro-CIO but not when they're teething. If she's in pain, she wants comfort. I know it's a huge PITA but once those things pop through she may go back to normal. DS was waking at night, a couple times just screaming where nothing would really soothe him, and once the teeth came through he started STTN better than he ever had before. 

I know you need to do something but if she really is in pain, I'd hold off on the CIO for just a bit longer until those dang teeth are in. But I'm a bit of a softie.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 15mo was a big sleep mess for us too.  DS has always been a great sleeper too but he was getting his bottom 2 canines and they were horrible for him.  We had 3 wks of rough sleep, waking up two or three times a night, staying awake for 2 or more hours at night and wanting to play.  Ugh!  Now he is back to sleeping 7:30-6:30 and we are all happy.  Seriously. CIO was the only thing that worked for us when he was younger but we have had the occasional sleep regressions due to teething, etc.  but Im not sure how you can do CIO if you are sharing a room??? and I definitely dont think letting them CIO while they are in pain is the right thing either. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"