October 2011 Moms
Options

BLW & day care

MH and I have been toying around with the idea of trying BLW, so last night we gave it a shot with broccoli and toast sticks.  While DD did not really attempt the broccoli, the toast sticks were a hit.  

I'm wondering if anyone else doing BLW has a son/daughter in day care and if so do you do purees there or ask the day care providers to try BLW? Is it confusing for a baby to do both?

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BLW & day care

• Options
    I'll be curious to hear any responses as well. We've been doing BLW for about 10 days at home, just at dinner time, but haven't really broached it with daycare yet. I don't want to do purees there, but I also don't want them to be inattentive or give him the wrong size pieces and then he chokes. I might give it another couple of weeks until I feel like he's really got the hang of it.
  • Options

We are not sending any food to daycare right now.  I think in a month or two when she's better at actually eating we'll start sending some.  She just drinks breastmilk and then does BLW at home for dinner.  On the weekends we try to do at least 2 meals BLW.  This arrangement is working out well so far. 

You could do purees at daycare if you feel like you want to or your LO needs the food but you should also be fine to just "eat" at home for the time being. Formula or breastmilk is your LOs main source of food until age 1 so it's really more for fun and practice now than anything else.  I have heard, but do not know from personal experience, that often after babies start BLW they are not very interested in purees but you'd just have to try it out and see.  Whatever feels right for your family! 

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, when we do start sending food to daycare, we will do the easiest to chew items.  I am thinking things like avocado, etc.  I've only been at this 3 weeks so who really knows but that is what I am envisioning. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    imageebp913:

We are not sending any food to daycare right now.  I think in a month or two when she's better at actually eating we'll start sending some.  She just drinks breastmilk and then does BLW at home for dinner.  On the weekends we try to do at least 2 meals BLW.  This arrangement is working out well so far. 

We do the same, but he eats breakfast and dinner with us on days he's in daycare and then just milk there. In a couple weeks I might start sending him in with banana, avocado, mango, and/or string cheese-things he had the easiest time with in terms of supervision.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We send cereal and fruit to day care and do finger food at home. I don't think my provider would be all that comfortable with finger food at this age and I wouldn't want her hand feeding LO or have LO choke. I think once LO has a better handle on eating during dinner, I will send some not so messy things like toast sticks and broccoli to day care. I have sent frozen fruit in a mesh feeder and that went ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"