October 2011 Moms

My Diva Baby

DD had her six month check up this weekend. The big message I took away was that the diva behavior has to stop. To be fair, she's actually a really easy going baby and very cheerful but I guess there are a few things pedi wants to get on track. Anyone have experience with these:

- Feedings - The doctor wants DD to move from 32 oz spead over six feedings to 32 oz over only four feedings. Bigger bottles, less frequently. The goal is to get her eating every four hours instead of every two. She also said we can start stage two foods whenever we're "bored" with stage one, even though DD has only been having solids for a week. Bring on the cheese, Cheerios, finger foods and even peanut butter (this surprised me a lot).

- Rolling - DD loves to sit. She hates tummy time. Aparently, Beyonce would rather sit and let us hand her things than be on her tummy and roll to get them. So even though she knows how, she refuses to roll either way. We were basically told to stop letting her sit up for awhile, unless she gets herself sitting.

The poor woman at daycare is going to have a real crab on her hands for the next few days while my baby gets used to waiting to eat and being on her tummy all day.

Re: My Diva Baby

• We're supposed to do it gradually. At first, we're supposed to make her wait an extra 15 minutes for her bottle and add a little time each day. Since we're making bigger bottles, they should last her a little longer.

DD is very busy, though, and pushes the bottles away, even when she isn't done or is still hungry. That's fine at home because I have the time to sit with her and encourage her to finish. At day care, if she doesn't seem interested, they have seven other kids to take care of and will let her stop eating. So two hours later, she's hungry again because she isn't finishing anything.

So I think day care will be the biggest challenge with the adjustment. They seemed a little confused by the concept. I suspect it will not go smoothly.

As far as it being a problem, I never thought it was, but the pedi wants to get her away from a "snacking" mentality and start working more towards meals.

• We got the same advice at our 6 month appointment (with the exception of the rolling because now that DD has finally mastered it, she loves it). We had been giving her 6 oz every 3 hours at day care and then bf-ing at home. Since our 6 month appointment last Tuesday, we've been trying to move her toward 8 ounces every 4 hours.  Right now we're doing 7 ounces every 3.5 hours.  She rarely finishes the 7 ounces.  I feel like she's now eating less over a 24 hour period than she was before, which means she's waking more at night. **yawn**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am SHOCKED your DR. gave the OK to giving a 6m old peanut butter.  that is crazy.  even if you have no family history of allergies, your DD could still have a bad reaction and the possibility of her not being able to tell you that her throat is closing up would scare the crap out of me.  I would definitely not take that advice. also, why does it matter how often she eats?  my DD still nurses every 2-3hrs. if your baby is hungry, feed her! :( it sounds like your DR. doesn't grasp what is typical of a 6m old!
    imageimage

• Pedi said a recent study concluded that delaying peanuts/peanut butter could actually increase the chances of an allergy. Whatever. You can find a study to disprove anything you want or back up any theories you have. I'm going to wait a bit longer before we give her any peanut products and try it on a weekend when we can watch DD really closely.

We do feed her when she's hungry. We're certainly not going to let her starve. I think the point is that if she increases the amount at each feeding, she'll go longer and won't get hungry as soon. We'll see how it goes and (again) won't let her starve just because the clock doesn't say it's time to eat.  

We go to a large practice and hadn't selected our primary doctor when we made the 6 month appointment. We have official selected one (a different doctor than we saw this time, BTW), now, and the others will just be back up if she isn't available. Since she was new to us and some of her advice was surprising, I thought I'd toss it out there and see what you ladies had heard.

• imageFianschneid:

DD had her six month check up this weekend. The big message I took away was that the diva behavior has to stop. To be fair, she's actually a really easy going baby and very cheerful but I guess there are a few things pedi wants to get on track. Anyone have experience with these:

- Feedings - The doctor wants DD to move from 32 oz spead over six feedings to 32 oz over only four feedings. Bigger bottles, less frequently. The goal is to get her eating every four hours instead of every two. She also said we can start stage two foods whenever we're "bored" with stage one, even though DD has only been having solids for a week. Bring on the cheese, Cheerios, finger foods and even peanut butter (this surprised me a lot).

- Rolling - DD loves to sit. She hates tummy time. Aparently, Beyonce would rather sit and let us hand her things than be on her tummy and roll to get them. So even though she knows how, she refuses to roll either way. We were basically told to stop letting her sit up for awhile, unless she gets herself sitting.

The poor woman at daycare is going to have a real crab on her hands for the next few days while my baby gets used to waiting to eat and being on her tummy all day.

Did someone say 'Diva" Stick out tongue

Wow we have totally different Doctors, mine said to not give: Eggs, Dairy, Nuts and shellfish for now, I don't know if this list will change at his 9 month appt.  

• imageshediva1:
    imageFianschneid:

Wow we have totally different Doctors, mine said to not give: Eggs, Dairy, Nuts and shellfish for now, I don't know if this list will change at his 9 month appt.  

She said we can do processed dairy products, like cheese and yogurt. We do have to hold off on eggs until one year. Since I have a shellfish allergy, they want DD to wait until she's three to try eating shellfish. Shouldn't be a problem, I don't know too many toddlers who are just dying to eat crab.

• imageFianschneid:
    imageshediva1:
    imageFianschneid:

She said we can do processed dairy products, like cheese and yogurt. We do have to hold off on eggs until one year. Since I have a shellfish allergy, they want DD to wait until she's three to try eating shellfish. Shouldn't be a problem, I don't know too many toddlers who are just dying to eat crab.

I will email my doctor about that ^.  My coworker just told me that Gerber has macaroni and cheese, and that's what she gave her 8 month old grandson, so I was curious if that was ok for DS too.   Thanks for the info! Oh I'm the 32 year old that is dying to eat crab Embarrassed I swear I am always asking to eat at Joe's Crab Shack whenever DH asks where I want to go.

• imageshediva1:
    imageFianschneid:
    imageshediva1:
    imageFianschneid:

I will email my doctor about that ^.  My coworker just told me that Gerber has macaroni and cheese, and that's what she gave her 8 month old grandson, so I was curious if that was ok for DS too.   Thanks for the info! Oh I'm the 32 year old that is dying to eat crab Embarrassed I swear I am always asking to eat at Joe's Crab Shack whenever DH asks where I want to go.

I always say I have a snobby shellfish allergy. I don't have a problem with lobster but I can't handle shrimp. I'm guessing it's because I can't afford enough lobster to cause a reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"