Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Pumpkin for baby?

Just wondering if anyone has fed their LO pumpkin puree? I have never seen it in the store, but I know that pumpkin is very nutritional. All I see is butternut squash.  I was going to try pumpkin, but just wondered if there was a reason that you never see it in baby food.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumpkin for baby?

• I've given pumpkin before, but he was sort of "meh" about it.  Pumpkin isn't something I would eat all on it's own, unlike butternut squash...so maybe it's a flavor thing?

We don't give purees, but I was trying to use up some canned pumpkin we had and wanted him to try it...so I froze it into little stick/popsicle shapes for him to suck/gnaw on.  Like I said though, he was "meh" about it.  Didn't actually eat much.

But I don't see why you couldn't try it from a spoon to see what your LO thinks.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think there is an issue, it may just be because pumpkin is a comparatively pricey food. Squash and sweet potatoes are pretty cheap. Same reason you see plenty of jarred peas and green beans but not asparagus.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought a can of pumpkin for DD2 (pure pumpkin, not the pie filling!) and she loves it. It's typically with the canned fruit or in the baking aisle.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS2 was pretty meh about it in puree form.

I baked it into baked pumpkin oatmeal, and he LOVED it!! :) 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Target has an Up & Up baby food pouch that is pumpkin and banana. DD loves it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pumpkin is a seasonal fruit that is hard to get year round. jarred food usually is the basics that are readily available and cheap. I wouldn't go with canned pumpkin because of the high levels of BPA in the canned pumpkin meat. I'm going to wait until sugar pumpkins are fresh in the store then roast one up for LO. 
  • Yep--I buy the canned 100% pumpkin and put it in ice cube trays and freeze.  She likes it :)

• Plum Organics makes it in a pouch mixed with banana. That's how I introduced it to DS.
  • SusieBWSusieBW member

imageluvmyducks:
    Yep--I buy the canned 100% pumpkin and put it in ice cube trays and freeze.  She likes it :)

We do this too.  DD seems just okay with it as is, but she likes it mixed into oatmeal or yogurt, or mixed with some other fruit.  I've never seen it in the baby food aisle, but I've just bought her a regular can of plain pumpkin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"