Breastfeeding

Want to stop bfing(pumping) but am scared b/c...(advice)

I've had mastitis twice already and am currently on antibiotics for the second time. I want to start weaning from the pump (I'm an EPer)--I've read I should start by dropping a session but I'm worried about going a long time w/o pumping--wouldn't that prompt a plugged duct to form?? I'm set on stopping but am scared about going through the pain (and pills) of mastitis again...advice??
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Want to stop bfing(pumping) but am scared b/c...(advice)

• If I were you I would drink a LOT of peppermint tea, take sudafed, and ice my breasts like crazy to help dry up supply. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Take sudafed.  Also, you can pump for a few minutes to relieve engorgement, just don't pump until empty (maybe 5 minutes?).  If I were you, I would take a long time to wean (maybe even a few weeks if you can).  Start stretching out the sessions for an hour, then two, etc.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I literally could have written this word for word myself except that I'm on mastitis round #3.

Here's what I'm doing because I'm also really scared to get another bad clog. I figured I'd push the limits a little bit now since I'm on the antibiotic anyways. My plan is for this whole process to take a month but I'm also dealing with an oversupply so it could be longer.

I was pumping 4 times a day. 9am, 3pm, 9pm and 3am. I started cutting down the minutes on my 3am pump a little while ago and starting Friday I cut that session out. Now I pump at 6am, 2pm and 9pm. The first day I was really engorged and in pain in between but it's getting better. I am pumping 15 ounces at my 6 am session which is crazy but the other 2 are usually a lot less milk.

Next week I'll start shortening my 2pm session by a minute or so each day until I feel like I can cut it out all together.

I'm taking sudafed every 12 hours and drinking sage tea a couple times a day. I'm going to take the sudafed for the next few days and then stop until I'm ready to drop another pumping session and then start taking it again. I use ice when I can but it's hard to ice your boobs at work lol.

Good Luck!

Here we go again! 2 u 2 :-) BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagewhirlygirl00:

I literally could have written this word for word myself except that I'm on mastitis round #3.

Here's what I'm doing because I'm also really scared to get another bad clog. I figured I'd push the limits a little bit now since I'm on the antibiotic anyways. My plan is for this whole process to take a month but I'm also dealing with an oversupply so it could be longer.

I was pumping 4 times a day. 9am, 3pm, 9pm and 3am. I started cutting down the minutes on my 3am pump a little while ago and starting Friday I cut that session out. Now I pump at 6am, 2pm and 9pm. The first day I was really engorged and in pain in between but it's getting better. I am pumping 15 ounces at my 6 am session which is crazy but the other 2 are usually a lot less milk.

Next week I'll start shortening my 2pm session by a minute or so each day until I feel like I can cut it out all together.

I'm taking sudafed every 12 hours and drinking sage tea a couple times a day. I'm going to take the sudafed for the next few days and then stop until I'm ready to drop another pumping session and then start taking it again. I use ice when I can but it's hard to ice your boobs at work lol.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much!! I'm on a 6x a day schedule and I really like your plan...going to give it a shot!! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was actually just reading about sage tincture rather than tea which is a more concentrated form and will work faster. Maybe try that too, I'm going to order some.
    Here we go again! 2 u 2 :-) BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"