September 2012 Moms
Options

2nd time moms... silly question

So please do not judge seeing as the only experience I have with babies was with my Little Sister when I was 12 and my mom wasn't the best role model. 

When it comes to diaper changes, am I supposed to use diaper cream everytime I change his diaper, or only when he has a rash?  I know my SIL uses it everytime, but my niece has really sensitive skin and I feel like she doesn't change her diaper as often as she should.  I know this seems silly to stress over, but I was just thinking about it and I had no idea what to do.  Thanks!

Employed by the Toddler Tyrant named G!

Re: 2nd time moms... silly question

• Options
    Personally I only did it when there was an actual rash.  I would sometimes put Aquafor (sp?) on there as a barrier for wetness but I really just tired to make sure DD was kept fairly clean and not just sitting in wetness for too long and that helped a lot. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrsRidge2005:
    Personally I only did it when there was an actual rash.  I would sometimes put Aquafor (sp?) on there as a barrier for wetness but I really just tired to make sure DD was kept fairly clean and not just sitting in wetness for too long and that helped a lot. 

This.  And if you have a baby with a ton of rolls, like DD did...make sure you wipe in all creases!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only use it when there's the first hint of a rash (when they start looking a little pink, etc.)

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    I only use it when there is a problem, and my son has super sensitive skin. It isn't a silly question, btw. I didn't know any of this stuff when I was a FTM!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

imageterri_doula2010:
    I only use it when there is a problem, and my son has super sensitive skin. It isn't a silly question, btw. I didn't know any of this stuff when I was a FTM!

This. We use sensitive diapers too. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I only use it when DS is starting to look "rashy." I do, however, use it every night before bed to create a barrier. 
    IMG_5411 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Manx4Manx4 member
    I only use it when he has a rash.  Just be sure to really lay it on thick!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We CD so we use coconut oil instead of diaper cream most the time. I usually put it on DD before bed and if she is starting to look a little red.  On the few occasions it has gotten worse I will slather her up really good in 40% zinc oxide and put a disposable on her.  I also will try to give her some naked time between diaper changes.
  • Options

When DD was born, I actually used it after every change (I really didn't know any better :)  The good news is she NEVER got a rash, the bad news was I was using a LOT of diaper cream.

Ditto the pp, after I learned, I only used it with a rash, after a poop/irritated butt, and before nighttime. 

• Options
    In the beginning, I used it every time.  The meconium really stuck to her bum, and vaseline or diaper cream helped with that.  Once the poop changes, it isn't as bad.  I use diaper cream every night before bed and at the first hint of redness.
  • Options

Thanks everyone!  I feel so clueless sometimes :D 

We are planning to CD so I def don't want to overuse the cream and have it cause probs with our dipes.  :)  Just don't want our little guy to every be uncomfortable. He is gonna have enough pain down their after his circ

Employed by the Toddler Tyrant named G!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"