Multiples
Options

F/U Helmet Mamas....Thanks for the insight and a ?

Hi ladies,
  I've spent some time really looking at DD#2's head and I think, based on the sites I found online, that she really does need a helmet.

I called our insurance I don't need a referral, BUT what kind of doctor do we see? We live in a really rural area and I'll probably have to go to Albany, NY to see someone.

Thanks Ladies.

Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

Re: F/U Helmet Mamas....Thanks for the insight and a ?

• Options

Check out the yahoo plagio group, it is pretty active and they should be able to recommend some orthotists.

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/

Cranial Tech has an office in Madison, CT. Is that close to you? Star Band and Hanger are other providers.

Physical therapy can also really help, have you done any with DD? Your pedi should be able to give you a referral.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

We used the Hanger Brace Shop for our helmet, but we had to get a prescription from a plastic surgeon first. We went to Children's Hospital and saw a plastic surgeon from the plagiocephaly department there.

Also, you might want to check and see if the helmet is outright covered or if it needs a prior authorization before they'll cover it. Our insurance required a prior authorization, so we had to put $650 down on the helmet and got reimbursed when the insurance company authorized payment.

The other thing to consider with helmet therapy is that you'll need to take her back to the brace shop every 3 weeks to get her head checked and the helmet adjusted. If you live in a rural area, this might be hard to do.

PT is also a great suggestion if DD also has tort, so you might want to get her checked by a physical therapist to see if she needs that as well. GL!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    atlbatlb member
    Camille's original appt was with a craniofacial surgeon. After that, we went to an orthotics place for adjustments, etc. Also, our insurance did not cover any portion of the helmet Sad
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Like pp's said, look up the closest Cranial Technologies, Star Band & Hangar.

Insurance didn't cover ours either (and we had 2) which stunk but CT did offer a discount if you paid in full at least. 

I haven't used the yahoo group but the babycenter group is very active also:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a52465/plagiocephaly_support

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"