Multiples

Nanny Questions

Is there a list somewhere of questions I should be asking during interviews? 

Also, how do you handle taxation (if at all)? 

TIA!

Re: Nanny Questions

• I just googled nanny interview questions and found a bunch. Taxes-the IRS says if you pay household help over $1800 a year then you need to pay taxes on it. A lot of people pay their nannies under the table. I would just ask when interviewing. We do taxes on ours and use Intuit online payroll to help. Super easy to set up. I think it was free the first three months and then $13 a month after that.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Try www.care.com.  There are sample interviews and all sorts of great information on there.  Good luck!  And yes, if you google Nanny pay, there are some great web-sites/companies that can help with the payroll aspect.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto googling nanny interview questions. I will add some twin specific thoughts.I think you have to look for someone who is organized and calm and patient who will be able to handle 2 infants at once. The first day I went back to work I felt totally calm because my new nanny came in and knew what to do without having to be told. She was confident that she could handle it and after 8 months (has it only been 8 months!) I can say that she was right, she has been great through each stage of development.

The taxes will be different for each state, it was not easy to figure out but I am anal and doing it myself. I have heard that the payroll sites are really good and guide you throught the process and do all paycheck, quarterly and yearly taxes for you.

In my opinion it is way to risky to hire and undocumented worker to watch your children. I insisted on doing everything by the books and a surprising number of nannys were not interested in the position for that reason, even the legal ones. Totally shady. Also, I had a lot of nannys who wanted say $15 an hour but then wanted me to pay their share of the taxes. That is also a no no and a BIG headache at tax time. Do NOT go down this road.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • imageHopeful1!:

Ditto googling nanny interview questions. I will add some twin specific thoughts.I think you have to look for someone who is organized and calm and patient who will be able to handle 2 infants at once. The first day I went back to work I felt totally calm because my new nanny came in and knew what to do without having to be told. She was confident that she could handle it and after 8 months (has it only been 8 months!) I can say that she was right, she has been great through each stage of development.

The taxes will be different for each state, it was not easy to figure out but I am anal and doing it myself. I have heard that the payroll sites are really good and guide you throught the process and do all paycheck, quarterly and yearly taxes for you.

In my opinion it is way to risky to hire and undocumented worker to watch your children. I insisted on doing everything by the books and a surprising number of nannys were not interested in the position for that reason, even the legal ones. Totally shady. Also, I had a lot of nannys who wanted say $15 an hour but then wanted me to pay their share of the taxes. That is also a no no and a BIG headache at tax time. Do NOT go down this road.

They wanted you to pay their portion PLUS yours?  Definitely not!  One of the girls I've been talking to came over yesterday, and we talked about it a bit.  The other family she's working for this summer is handing her a 1099 (?) and making her claim self-employment, so I guess they can deduct it on their own taxes and she has to double pay, basically.  We're definitely not doing that either--I looked online and it looks like that's not the right way to do it anyways (they'd have to be an independent contractor, which they're not?). 

If I do it myself rather than using a payroll service, do I pay our portion of the taxes at the end of the year, at tax time?  Meaning, I wouldn't *have* to calculate how much to deduct each paycheck, and would instead calculate out what I owe at for her total taxes for the year at tax time?  If that's the case, it might be easier for us to go that route, because we always get significant bonuses in December-January anyways, and that would be easy to set aside the money then.  But then I don't know how it works on her end.  I need to start googling and figuring this out, I guess.

• You are right, a nanny that works in your home is not an independant contractor.

You will need to deduct her portion of Federal, State, Social Security (currently 4% but usually 6%), and Medicare (1.45%) from each paycheck.

I pay VA State and Unemployment insurance (About 2.5 - 3.5%) quarterly. I pay Federal, Social Security and Medicare yearly with my regular taxes because I withhold enough from my paycheck to cover my personal portion and her portion as her employer. I use Turbo Tax and it calculated my end of year taxes including my employer portion of her taxes. Turbo Tax also created a W-2 for her. I gave her a W2 and she is responsible for paying her taxes yearly. Rules vary so you have to find out what is specific to your state. 

ETA: Here is how I figured out the Federal Income tax per pay period (weekly)

https://allfinancialmatters.com/2011/01/18/how-to-calculate-your-federal-income-tax-withholding/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Find great interview tips at the FAQ's on www.4nannytaxes.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"