Eco-Friendly Family

those who clean with BS and vinegar

What's the ratio? 

Do you mix it up ahead of time and store it, or mix it as you need it?

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: those who clean with BS and vinegar

• Are you talking mixing them as one cleaner?  I've never done that because of the massive foaminess.

I use baking soda on its own as a scrub, or mixed to a paste with peroxide for stained countertops.  In that case I mix it as needed.

Vinegar I dilute ahead of time 1:3 with water in a spray bottle and use it as an all purpose cleaner.

image  image  image

• imageTeneniel:

Are you talking mixing them as one cleaner?  I've never done that because of the massive foaminess.

I use baking soda on its own as a scrub, or mixed to a paste with peroxide for stained countertops.  In that case I mix it as needed.

Vinegar I dilute ahead of time 1:3 with water in a spray bottle and use it as an all purpose cleaner.

Same here!:-)

We have a BS paste (with peroxide) for the nasty stuff, just BS ready to use for normal stuff and a vinegar spray bottle we use these for kitchen and bathroom cleaning mostly, but also for 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ahhh, sorry! I misunderstood previous posts and thought they were mixed together. Now it makes sense. Thanks!

• https://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

When I started I learned a lot of ways to use it from this website.

My all purpose cleaner is 1:2 Vinegar to water ratio, with a few drops of essential oils (DH's nose is very sensitive to the smell of vinegar) 

• imagemargaretkaye1:
    What all does everyone use vinegar on?  I read that it doesn't kill E. Coli and all that unless it's heated so now I'm wary.  I use it in the bathroom, but in the kitchen I just use soap and water.  I'm just wondering what all you use it for.  :)

I use it for almost everything: glass, the tub, the outside of the toilet, surfaces, the linoleum...

I do have those flushable toilet brushes for the inside of the toilet.  Not killing E. coli doesn't really bother me, because I wash my hands after touching any part of the toilet.  But my baby isn't big enough to move yet, so she can't get at it. 

So far we're all noticeably healthier since switching to vinegar cleaner and non-antibacterial soaps.  I think there were some sensitivities we never knew about until the switch.

image  image  image

• imagemargaretkaye1:
    imageTeneniel:

imagemargaretkaye1:
    What all does everyone use vinegar on?  I read that it doesn't kill E. Coli and all that unless it's heated so now I'm wary.  I use it in the bathroom, but in the kitchen I just use soap and water.  I'm just wondering what all you use it for.  :)

I use it for almost everything: glass, the tub, the outside of the toilet, surfaces, the linoleum...

I do have those flushable toilet brushes for the inside of the toilet.  Not killing E. coli doesn't really bother me, because I wash my hands after touching any part of the toilet.  But my baby isn't big enough to move yet, so she can't get at it. 

So far we're all noticeably healthier since switching to vinegar cleaner and non-antibacterial soaps.  I think there were some sensitivities we never knew about until the switch.

So do you  only use vinegar in the bathroom? I'm looking to expand its use to include other areas.  I'm not worried about e. coli so much in the bathroom, but more the kitchen.  

No, I use it in the kitchen too.  But if I eat beef I usually get it from the farmer's market.  I trust my local seller enough to take a massive bite out of the raw hunk of whatever I buy.

Otherwise, I do sometimes wipe the counters and cutting board with a 10:1 bleach mixture (like if I buy regular chicken/beef, or if I cook pork at all).  It's pretty rare that I need to do that though, and we've never had a food poisoning instance.  I like pretty much everything that can be barely cooked, barely cooked.

Just remember that if you mix up a bleach mixture, it needs to be used that day.  It evaporates off really quickly.

image  image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"