Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Babys first bath- 12 days old today

Tonight we are going to give baby his first bath. He has only been sponge bathing up until this point. My question is this.

1. His belly button (clamp is fell off a few days ago) is sort of bloody and scabby will it be a bad idea to get this wet?

2. His skin is very flaky and dry.... should I put on moisturizer after the bath? I have heard mixed opinions on this, so now I am just confused.

3. Did you shampoo babys hair during the first bath?

4. I have the bucket style bath tub, and my husband to help me. We also have a water temp. therm. Any other tips and/ or advice? I haven't given a baby a bath in 13 years :) .... so if I seem nervous, that is because I am! :0 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Babys first bath- 12 days old today

• Options
    I'd wait untill the belly button is totally dried up/ healed.
  • Options

imageheymommy:
    I'd wait untill the belly button is totally dried up/ healed.

Agreed. That's what our pedi said. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So even though the clamp has already fallen off, and there is only scabs remaining I should hold off on the bath? I guess I could just sponge bathe him and still shampoo his head ?
  • Options

As a FTM, I watched YouTube videos about bathing newborns.

One showed a baby swaddled in a towel, while his hair was being washed.  That's what we did with E.

Later, when he was older, we kept a warm wet washcloth on his tummy to help keep him from getting too cold.

I also bought this thermometer that we still use in his tub.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtlemeter-Baby-Floating-Turtle-Thermometer/dp/B003ZFPRHS

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and when that stupid clamp and her cord fell off I bathed her and got all that gunk off of it! It didn't hurt her AT ALL! If we left the diaper rolled up instead of rolling it down it was a little bloody for a day or two. And then, after like 2 baths in her tub I put her in the shower with me! Breast milk gets everywhere and I can't stand to have a smelly or dirty kid!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I waited a couple of days after the cord fell off to be sure it healed.  DS hated baths at first and screamed the entire time, so now I take a bath with him and he is so calm and peaceful the whole time.  Plus, its also nice bonding with him because I'll talk to him while I'm washing him and he just looks around and smiles.

I like having DH help.  Babies are slippery when wet and I like having the extra set of hands.  I give a lotion massage afterwards to keep his skin moisturized.  I did wash his hair, but he's bald so I could've skipped it.  I'd suggest getting everything you need together before so that its all there together.  I also try to warm up his towel for a few minutes in the dryer so he stays warm when he gets out.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

After DDs cord fell off, she still had a tiny bit that was still juicy inside, but pedi said it was fine as long as the bellybutton isn't submerged.  She screamed the WHOLE time with no relief until she was clothed and back in my arms in the rocking chair.  But it's ok to let LO cry...he'd probably rather you hurry and get him out than waste time trying to console him. Lol.  I also always washed DDs hair (she has a ton of hair)...even when we were sponge bathing.  I just used a wet rag to rinse the shampoo out.  DD also was still peeling when she got her first bath.  It'll be fine whether you put lotion on LO or not, they'll still peel and it's normal.  I did just because I love the smell lol. 

Another thing...I personally hate those bath temp things.  I had a rubber ducky one and when it finally said that the water was a good temperature...it felt so cold to me!  I did use it the first bath and I just felt the water was TOO cool...haven't used it again since.  DD seems to like the water pretty warm, she doesn't scream as much.  I just use the inside of my wrist to test the water and when I think it's good for me, I'll turn the cold up just a tad bit more and it seems to be perfect for her.

• Options
    We never waited for the cord to fall off to give her a bath.
    Use non scented moisturizer
    Use soap/shampoo once a week so it doesn't dry him out more
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Once there was just a little bit of dried blood after the cord fell off we gave DD a bath.  We also hate the ducky temp thing.  DD likes her bath pretty warm.  I use my elbow to check the temp.  DD screamed when the water was too cool for her.  I would just use soap on the hair and the dirty parts (armpits,under neck, diaper area)  then I would just put lotion on a wet rag and wash her with that everywhere else.  We give a bath everyday but we dont use soap everytime, maybe every other sometimes every third day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    3month11
  • Options
    The first bath I gave LO I was paranoid about the water being too hot (even with the thermomiter) and it was too cold and LO screamed and his hands and feet started turning blue!! Now I trust the thermomiter (we have the turtle the PP posted about) and he LOVES the bath. After his first bath his head peeled a TON but now we wash his hair every other day/every few days and he is fine. We do a lotion massage as well. Recently his skin has been feeling dry and I am not sure what changed...

• Options

1.  We never sponge bathed LO.  She has been getting baths since her 1st one.  As long as you dry her stump after, you should be good to go.

2.  I have no advice on this.

3.  We shampoo her hair everytime, but she gets bathed every 4-5 days.  We use Burt's Bee baby shampoo/body wash.

4.  We make it warmer than you would think it's supposed to be.  She screams otherwise.  Same thing when #1 was an infant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"