Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Another swaddle question...ugh

Last week I posted about how I tried to stop the swaddle cold turkey and how miserable that was. A lot of people suggested that maybe DS wasn't ready to go without the swaddle, so on monday night we went back to swaddling for both naps and bed. It went great until Friday night (for some reason DS seems to have sleep problems on the weekends). On Friday night and then last night he got out of the swaddle. Not breaking open the Velcro, just wiggling his arms out. The problem is that once his arms are out he is waving them all around, rubbing his eyes and waking himself up. I am back to being totally frustrated. I don't know if I should just stop the swaddle and just anticipate a few days of not sleeping, of I should do something like the magic sleep suit or what? If anyone has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Another swaddle question...ugh

• Options

I don't know if you want to buy another swaddle at this point, but we've been using the Miracle Blanket and DH wraps the girls up really snugly in it. Although, in the past two weeks, they still occasionally get out of it at night (because they're able to wiggle around and move their bodies a bit more, but not rolling over from B to T) but it's definitely been better for us than the velcro. Even when they were 1-2 months old, they could get their little arms out of the velcro SwaddleMe blankets. It was cute in the beginning but then get a little frustrating when they'd wake themselves up soon after EVERY nap started.

We just got sleep sacks and have been trying to stop swaddling too, but I think they might not be ready. Sleep sacks were a disaster this past week. It's already difficult to get them to nap in their cribs during the day, but letting their arms loose made it worse. I'm sorry if I'm not much help, but just know you've got company!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJEliseS:

I don't know if you want to buy another swaddle at this point, but we've been using the Miracle Blanket and DH wraps the girls up really snugly in it. 

You can mimic the Miracle Blanket by doing a double swaddle with two basic swaddling blankets. You can google double swaddle to see how to do it. You're basically using the baby's body weight to keep the arms in place with one blanket, and then doing a regular swaddle with a second blanket to secure the whole shebang. It works great for my DD who is also a really strong arm wiggler and has been able to get out of everything else I've tried.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelorahbora:
    imageJEliseS:

I don't know if you want to buy another swaddle at this point, but we've been using the Miracle Blanket and DH wraps the girls up really snugly in it. 

You can mimic the Miracle Blanket by doing a double swaddle with two basic swaddling blankets. You can google double swaddle to see how to do it. You're basically using the baby's body weight to keep the arms in place with one blanket, and then doing a regular swaddle with a second blanket to secure the whole shebang. It works great for my DD who is also a really strong arm wiggler and has been able to get out of everything else I've tried.

My nanny did this and it works great for us!
  • Options

Have you tried one arm out for naps only? Then move on from there. We took baby steps and it's worked pretty good. Last night was the first night he slept both arms out all night (yay!). I was up for about 2 hours though ready to settle him back down but I really didn't need to be (sometimes that's easier than getting up and going to his room every 20-30mins). When he started rolling over on his tummy about 3-4 weeks ago we started him with one arm out. With the SwaddleMe blanket if you wrap it up over his should it seems impossible for him to wiggle that other arm out. So once he got comfy with the one arm out we started working on both arms out. Naps first and slowly but surely night time. Good luck :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"