High-Risk Pregnancy

questionable IUGR, what to increase? Carbs or protein?

So I "may" have an issue with IUGR.  Baby girl at my 26 week u/s was 20% percentile overall and 5% percentile abdomen...she has been measuring great all along until now and I have had multiple growth scans on her.

My doctor is following up in 2 and 4 weeks to check on her to make sure it either resolves or doesn't get worse by he said increase carbs and not eat as much protein.  Which is contradictory what I am reading in other places.  This doctor is a very respectable high risk peri in my area so I'm a little confused.

So what did you doctor say?  I am already on bedrest for IC/PTL, my fluids were a little low a few weeks ago but now are fine, and my BP has always been great.  Did they recommend an increase of carbs, protein or both? 

Thanks ladies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: questionable IUGR, what to increase? Carbs or protein?

• I think I responded to your last post, but mine definitely had me increase PROTEIN. He gave me a list of high protein foods to eat throughout the day, and also asked me to drink protein shakes 2-3x per day. He recommended Bioplex whey protein isolate powder, using 2 scoops each time to get 40g of protein in each shake. He advised me to stay away from the really sugary protein drinks, and to avoid the soy protein ones, and avoid those with Vitamin A in them. Vitamin A is fat-soluble, not water, so you don't want to have that much as you can actually develop a vitamin toxicity. I had to get the powder at a specialty store, but I couldn't find anything in a regular store that came close to the amount of protein he wanted me to have.
  • My MFM told me nothing I ate would make a difference. My IUGR was placenta related so not sure if that's why. 

FWIW, I did try and increase protein because I figured it couldn't hurt.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks girls....I'll look for those protein supplements tomorrow.  I have another appointment with my regular OB on tuesday so I'll talk to him about it too.  I'm just a little overwhelmed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"