Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Anyone start late on solids?

Our baby boy will be 6 months next month and is exclusively breast fed.

I feel like he just isn't ready. He's had so many hurdles, difficulties and now just started on Zantac and we're just now seeing how he will progress on something new.

He is not taking a bottle whatsoever. We'll try for a long time and he lets himself go hungry rather than eat -- I'm talking hours and hours. We've tried many kinds of bottles, etc. The time will lapse so much that I have to breastfeed him because he can't afford to lose weight. He's small genetically (I'm Asian), and he is only 12 lbs.

He has absolutely no interest in anything other than breastfeeding. He turns his head and seals his mouth. 

So have any of you waited longer? I just worry that he won't be interested. Trying to give him a bottle is such a struggle.

Re: Anyone start late on solids?

• Options
    It seems like your LO would be an ideal candidate for baby led weaning.  It allows babies to try solids at their own pace.  Def. get a book from your library or online to read about it. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    6 months isn't late.  Several organizations recommend waiting until 6 months before offering anything other than breast milk or formula.  We started BLW with DD around 6 months and it took her a while to figure it out.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that is very interesting! He got his two bottom teeth early at 4 months and now they're fully there!
  • Options
    My baby hates being spoon fed, which is part of why we did baby-led weaning. He still has days where he doesn't really eat any solids (I offer at least 3 x a day). He's happy and healthy and I'm not worried. Some babies dive into solids, some wait. I expect somewhere between 12 and 18 months he'll be more into solids and less into breastmilk.
  • Options
    Mrs07Mrs07 member

My 11mo was under 12 lbs at six months, so don't fret. You keep eating healthy and taking your vitamins, and drinking lots of water, I'm sure he'll be fine.

He also stopped taking the bottle of pumped milk after three months. We have moved through sippys and onto cups. For some reason he's fine with water, but not actually breast milk.

I have made the decision that I am not going to risk traumatizing this kid over a couple of months' inconvenience to myself.  Fortunately I live close to where I work and can come nurse him at lunchtime.

Thats just the way I see it. I read the OP but not the comments, so I don't know whether I'm the oddball or with the majority on this thread. 

Eta: he's been on solids since 6 mos, but I follow the mantra Food before one is just for fun, so I'm trying to get him a variety of veggies fruits and proteins like lentils for his palate and as a supplement to my milk. I figure my milk will be a supplement to his table foods at 18 mos, not at 12 months. 

ds born may 2011
  • Options
    Hmmm...I thought you were saying he wasn't ready at 6 months and you were worried about waiting longer.  If you think you should have started before now, don't fret.  We started solids at 6 months, but it wasn't even until 9 months that he really took off with them.  Before that it was just sort of hit and miss.  We didn't push it. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

imagebaby2011boy:
    Wow, that is very interesting! He got his two bottom teeth early at 4 months and now they're fully there!

Teeth are not a sign of solids readiness.

We waited until 6 months and then did baby led weaning.  She didn't really eat significant amounts of food until 9 months.  Even now she is still getting most of her nutrition from breastmilk.

• Options
    I started cereal around 5.5 months and DD had no interest and spit most of it out.  It was about 5 weeks before she started swallowing it and then I introduced sweet potatoes and apples.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My LO was the exact same way re bottle.  We OFFERED solids every day.  Most days she didn't even take a bite.  At about 8.5 months she finally started showing interest in our food.  Now, she pretty much snacks all day but refuses any baby food, will only feed herself, and only likes our food.  So, we inadvertently did baby led weaning.  LO still doesn't eat much at all and still nurses 8-9 times per day.  Just offer it.  If he doesn't eat it, no big deal.  
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't offer solids until 6 1/2 months. He didn't really eat much at all until 8 months and he's almost 23lbs now and is 31 inches. Babies really don't need tons of solids (technically any at all) before 1 to be healthy so don't worry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"