Working Moms

Pumping at work

I'm a teacher and only need to return to work for the last 8 days of school this year. I have a double electric pump, and I have been practicing using it for my return.

My question is, how often should I pump at work? I won't be able to space out my pumping exactly with when my daughter will be eating at home, but I might be able to get in 4 pumping sessions during my lunch/planning periods.

How many times a day at work do you pump? How old is/will your LO be when you return to work?

I guess I'm just worried about how pumping will affect my milk supply. I really don't want to have to continue pumping like I would at work over the summer vacation, especially since I only have to do it for 8 days :-/

TIA! 

Re: Pumping at work

• That's pretty cool you only have to do it 8 days this year.  I went back when DS was six weeks old and only pump twice a day.  There are also other factors involved including storage capacity.  However, whatever you do for those 8 days won't affect your supply long term. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pump 3 times, every 3 hours. If she were home with me she would be feeding more frequently, but a good deal of that is cluster feeding mixed with some comfort sucking. When we get home from work and DC she does nurse a bunch until she's ready for bed. That evening nursing will help with supply. You could try pumping before work and or before your bed time to tell your body to keep up your supply. It will also help keep enough milk handy for your LO. I need to add a regular daily at home pump session so I can ditch her formula bottle. What I get a work only covers 2 of her 3 DC bottles.
    DD born January 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I teach. I used to pump before work (and feed, I needed the extra bottle), then at a morning plan time (9:00) and at lunch (12:00). Then I fed baby after school (about 4:00.) Don't forget to drink lots of water at work and have a snack! The lack of hydration/calories will get your supply!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I returned when DD was 12 weeks and I BFed at 6:30 am, pumped at work at 9 am and 12:30 pm, and then BFed at 5 pm. My supply was great. I only added a 3rd pump when DD was older and had a growth spurt.

Depending on your commute, you may want an afternoon pump or BF when you pick her up. For 8 days I wouldn't sweat it at all. Two session is fine. Plus DD ate a LOT more at the breast than she did at the bottle for the first week, so even if you're not getting a lot of EBM, baby will get what she needs at the breast.

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • I'm a teacher too.

DS takes 3 bottles at DC but I can only pump twice and it's no where near his feeding times.  As long a you can get the amount of milk you need, just pump when you can.  I don't think 8 days is going to make a huge difference anyway.

• DS was born in Feb and I returned to the classroom for 8 days plus finals that first year.  I just pumped when I could.   I found if they weren't spaced, I didn't get enough to make it worth it.  I fed right before I left (7:30) or if he didn't want to eat then, pumped when I got to work (8) pumped at break (10:15) and then at lunch (12:30) and either pumped right after school (3) or as soon as I got home (3:45) depending on when he'd eaten (I called to check in)

It was a good dry run for the fall.   Make sure you get a handsfree bra

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"