Natural Birth

Out-of-shape mommas and unmedicated labor (XP from July 2012)

Any other ladies out there start out out-of-shape and trying for/accomplished an unmedicated labor?  What are you doing to prepare physically, and are you getting nervous? 

I was overweight (a size 12 at 5'4") when I got pregnant, but doing really well on WW.  I was just focusing on eating, not on exercising, when the positive test came in.  I had horrible nausea the first 19 weeks (during which I tried to do once-weekly yoga), then a cramping scare, but since my doctor's okay to start exercising again a few weeks ago, I have been walking 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and am hoping to start up once- or twice-weekly yoga again soon.  I can tell the exercise is helping -- my stamina is obviously increased in my walking workouts, I'm walking comfortably at 3.2 mph for 45 minutes now -- but I'm worried it won't be enough.  And I suspect this isn't the time to start something more strenuous like circuits or jogging, given that I wasn't working out prior to pregnancy.  Also, FWIW, my doctor and I are happy with my weight gain: 7 pounds now at 27 weeks. 

We've also hired a doula and signed up for a weekend-intensive childbirth class geared to natural birth (we couldn't fit a Bradley class in our schedule).

Just wondering if I'm delusional to be trying this and whether there is more I need to be doing at this point to prepare myself physically. 

Re: Out-of-shape mommas and unmedicated labor (XP from July 2012)

• CelynCelyn member
    Sounds like you're doing wonderfully to me.  Congrats on all your hard work!
  • I also think you will be fine!! You are exercising regularly and eating well.

With my first pregnancy I gained 47lbs (up to 197lbs)  and hardly exercised at all. I leisurely swam laps the last month or two of my pregnancy and that's about it.  I was able to have a NB without any physical problems. My issue was more my mental strength in getting through it (read up on Bradley before my second NB and it was TONS better). So for me it makes more a difference if I'm mentally prepared than physically prepared.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you are more than on-track. Keep up the good work because it is healthy, but in terms of labor remember that your body is designed to do this and will actually work in all sorts of amazing, different ways during labor to make birth happen. I had a condition with my last PG that restricted my movement, so working out was not a possibility. I made it through 55 hours of back labor before we decided on some medically beneficial interventions. I think that even a marathon runner would've likely been just as tired as I was at that point, especially in a hospital enviornment where  you are discouraged from putting in calories.

I agree with a PP who said that the mental prep is really, really key. For me, it was mind over matter. As long as I could keep my brain on track, my body knew what to do (well, optimally my body knew--as I mentioned, I had some unique circumstances that did restrict things, but that won't apply to most women).

• You are doing evrrything within your power to prepare. That's the absolute best thing you can do for yourself.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was out of shape before, during and after I was pg and I had a successful NB without pain meds.  The only augmentation I had was a cath to empty my bladder because it was keeping LO from decending any further and all attempts to empty it on my own failed.  I was tired and sore afterwards but I pushed for 4 hours and delivered a 9lb 7oz (not so) little girl.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you're doing great. I was overweight too, same height and size pre pregnancy and I did it without drugs. You can do it!!
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think you are doing great.  I was in fairly good shape when I got pregnant, but I spent the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy on bedrest.  I think labor was more tiring that it would have been if I had been able to continue to be active, but I was still able to have the pain-med free birth I wanted.
  • I was a lot more overweight than you and all I did was eat right and walk) and had two successful home births.  I wouldn't stress too much about the numbers.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"