September 2011 Moms

All day job interview - pumping?

So I have an all day job interview coming up next week for a teaching position. It will be from 8 to 3 essentially, plus driving there, so let's say 7 to 4. E would normally nurse about 4-5 times during that period, but only on one boob each time. I was thinking that if I pumped at lunch as well as maybe in the car when I was finished that would be sufficient, thoughts?

Also, if anyone has any wording to politely and professionally tell a possible future employer that you will need a pumping break, I need help in that area too!

Thanks ladies!! 

DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

Re: All day job interview - pumping?

• I was recently (twice) in this position. Actually, one of the interviews was two days long, including all breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and both required a full day of travel each way. This was the email I sent. For one of them, I sent it to the woman who was arranging the travel (a secretary), for another I had no choice but to send it a man who played a role in decision making. 

"I was wondering if you could assist me with a little bit of an awkward and sensitive issue regarding my upcoming [interview]. I have a six month old baby, and I am breastfeeding her. As you may well know, breastfeeding requires regular pumping in order to maintain supply and prevent painful engorgement. As a result, I will need to pump at regular intervals (at least every 3-4 hours [note- in retrospect, I wish I'd just said 2-3 hours--see below]) during my visit. This requires ~20 minute breaks in a private room, ideally with an electrical outlet (I could look into battery packs or manual pumps if the outlet part presented a difficulty), with a little time to clean attachments in a sink (that part could be done in a bathroom or wherever a sink is available). I understand that this could present difficulties with my schedule, and I very much apologize for the inconvenience. I definitely would prefer it if there were some way around it! I would hate to make the [employees] feel uncomfortable (as I know some people feel a little awkward about breastfeeding, and it is a little personal), so I would appreciate it if you could keep this matter discreet to the extent that it is feasible to do so. [note-- I basically included this because I was scared of being discriminated against, but you may not feel that it's necessary]

Thanks so much, and I apologize again for the inconvenience. "

By the way, please do not disrupt your pumping schedule if you can avoid it. Both interviews were very accommodating, but there were times, given the travel and hectic nature of my trip, where I went too long between pumping. My supply has not been the same since, and I don't know if it was caused by these trips or if it had to do with something else (her starting solids and nursing less in the evenings after day care probably is playing a role), but it's annoying and I've had to supplement while she's at DC. 

If you want more advice, you might try to working moms board-- I got a lot of helpful advice there.  

• I'd also talk to HR and give them a heads up. You can pump in the car on your way to and from the interview, so you probably only need to pump 1-2 times during the day. It may not be the best for your supply, but one day won't be too bad for it.

I'm guessing you are going to lunch as part of the interview, if not, lunch would probably be an easy time to pump.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"