June 2012 Moms

another teacher-mom question

My HR is having me fill out FMLA forms with a start-date of June 8th which is our last day of school. So if I'm not taking any time off, why are they taking away from my 3 months of annual FMLA and making me pay for my non-county benefits over the summer (vision, dental)? These things wouldn't happen on any other summer.

I am going to go to HR and ask on Monday, I just wanted to see if other June-due teachers are running into this situation.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: another teacher-mom question

• Nope I'm not having to do this.  I'm even going to be missing the first few weeks of the school year, but I've saved up some medical days that I will be using.  I'd ask to find out why.
  • I had something similar happen with DS where I didn't get paid during spring break and was confused. It was something about how I don't technically get paithrusting the breaks, they just spread out my 190 days pay throughout the year. You would be working all of those days though and have already earned the pay for the summer so I don't understand how that would apply to you. Also, in my county summer did not even count towards FMLA. I could have taken some of my leave before summer and then used the remaining when school was back in the fall. I am sure this all varies greatly though. Definitely worth looking into. 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If you aren't missing any school for maternity leave then it doesn't seem right.  you technically didn't even need to tell them you were pregnant since you won't miss school. I would not sign that until you have all the facts! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • fribufribu member
    If you are part of a union I would contact your president and ask his/her opinion before going to HR.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, that doesn't seem right (or fair)! Have you talked to other women in your school who may have possibly gone through the same thing? My coworkers have been a big help with explaining my options.  I agree with pp's to check with your union, if possible, and not to sign anything until you understand what you are signing.  Good luck:) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Doesn't sound right to me. I am having my baby the day after school gets out and I don't have to do any paperwork. FMLA is protection for you to ensure that your job is still there after your earned maternity leave, if you're planning on going back at the end of summer, I do not see why you would need this.
  • akayfakayf member

June 2011 mom here.   I had to stop work a couple days before Memorial Day and DS was born on June 14.   I stayed home until Thanksgiving.   For May and June, I used sick days.   Our last day of school was either June 23 or 24(I can't remember)

I took my 12 weeks starting in Sept since the summer doesn't count towards those days.   My state has 6 weeks of paid family leave and the paperwork for that stated I was applying for that to start on Sept 1.  

We are allowed to use up to 40 days of sick time and then we can use the 12 weeks of family leave(6 weeks which are paid through the state).   However, we can only use sick days when school is in session and they need to be used within 6 weeks after a vaginal birth or 8 weeks after a c-section.

ETA-I agree with the PP...talk to your union!   I went to my district's union rep and discussed my plan with her.   She told me what my options were for taking a maternity leave of absence without pay.  

With my older son, I went out of leave in Feb, used my 40 days and then was unpaid for the rest of the school year.   I didn't need to fill out any paperwork for family leave.   All I did was write a letter to the super requesting a maternity leave of absence without pay following the use of sick days to begin on such and such day and that I planned to return to work on Sept 1.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am due a week before out last day of school and I would not have been required to fill out FMLA paperwork (even though I work per diem in the summer) had I not required a couple months disability prior to the twins birth. That isn't right and you should not have to do that since you plan to be out during a normally scheduled time. 
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"