Special Needs

I am giddy.

This is our second season of soccer with DD1. A typical game (half hour practice before a half hour game, no score-keeping, no goalie, three-on-three) involves watching her do great during practice (DH coaches and she knows all the drills and is comfortable with them) and then completely be in dreamland/disengaged/doing her own thing for 80% of the game. 

But today she was IN it for 80% of her field time. We were on a different field, without her favorite dirt-patch to play in, and I think that helped a lot. She got right into the group of girls, wasn't passive or overly aggressive, took the ball from other players, wasn't phased by contact or the chaos of playing, and even scored a goal! And each time she did something good, she would run over to me and tell me, "I did it, Mama! Are you so proud of me?"

I cheered so much my throat hurts. I want to just hold onto this feeling for a long, long time. :)

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010

Re: I am giddy.

• Very cool!!! Sounds like your DD is making a ton of progress. Congrats to all of you. Might I suggest starting a journal or memory box of some sort to remember these awesome days / moments when the going gets rough? Im sure it would be hard to find the time but it might come in useful or at least fun to reminisce.
  • Yay for such a great day!
  • Loading the player...
  • How exciting!
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Party!!!
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• That's great! I always feel extra glad when your DD1 is doing well (because DS sounds so much like her when she was younger).
  • Awesome! Isn't it great when kids themselves recognize that they have overcome a hurdle and enjoy their new self-esteem boost?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"