Stay at Home Moms
Options

Moms of 3, come in please

Did you become a SAHM after #3? 

I've been back to work since January and with the cost of daycare for DD1 and a nanny for the twins, most of my pay checks pay for child care. When it's all said and done, I take home maybe $400 a month. The biggest reason I work full time is for insurance. I am the primary for all of the kids so we are all double covered. I pay $88 a month for medical and dental for all of us. But DH just got a new job and his insurance is WAY better than it was with his last employer so we are leaning toward me cutting back to part time or even quitting. Even though I take home $400 a month, between gas, work clothes (I work in an office and have to dress professionally), lunches out now and then, occasional stops at Starbucks, etc. I wonder if we are actually paying more out than I'm bringing home. I really should do the math.  Everyone (co-workers, friends, relatives, random people) think it's silly for me to work at all. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Moms of 3, come in please

• Options
    I stopped working because of Ellie's diabetes. I think if child care is getting to much then I would stay home. I never in a million years thought I would be staying home but it was what had to be done.
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    I started to SAH when DD1 was 18 mo.  She was really sick in daycare (like weekly doc trips).  I would seriously think about it if I were you.  At least about maybe keeping a PT option.  I am not sure how well I could have handled twinfants and a toddler at home.  3 kids in 4 years was hard enough (and really only the first few months of 2 was hard).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No, I've always been a SAHM. If I were working, I could easily cover 3 in daycare with a lot leftover. BUT, I didn't want to work 12 hour days........and my job was very demanding with a long commute.

GL to you! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Not a mom of 3 yet, but I would not work for $400 a month unless working was the only way I would be a happy, fulfilled mom.

You can make up a lot of that in the costs of working, like all the things you just mentioned.

Something else to consider if you want the extra money is getting some night gig for extra money. I make $200/week waitressing 2 nights a week. You can easily make up $400/month with some sort of pt gig. Call centers/restaurants/hotels/grocery stores/retail/temp agencies all hire for those types of shifts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can your nanny watch your older daughter?  Why still send her to daycare? 

• Options
    imagealli2672:
    Can your nanny watch your older daughter?  Why still send her to daycare? 

DH and I feel its very important for her to be in daycare. She stayed home with my mom from 4 months to 18 months old. She really needs the socialization and to be around other kids and adults. And it would actually cost more to pay the nanny to watch one more child. Besides, we want her to participate in preschool at daycare. The nanny would charge extra to transport her to preschool. And I'd have to leave my minivan at home for her and then I'd need another car to get to and from work.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

This really depends on you. For many people even if daycare makes it a wash there are intangibles that make working worth it. Do you have employer matching on a retirement plan? That's a big reason people continue working. How would taking time off from your career affect you long-term? If you take a few years off will you be able to return to working if you want/need to? What will it do to your projected career path overall? Assuming expected promotions/raises combined with decreases in childcare costs (especially once the kids are in elementary school and beyond) you will eventually bring in far more than the $400/month after childcare. Would you have to break back in at "entry level" with less money than you currently earn in a  few years?

Finally, and most importantly, do you *want* to SAH? For some people SAH is great, others end up missing work and  regretting it. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't worked since ~6m before we started TTC #1.  I always planned to SAH, and even if I wanted to work the job I left didn't pay enough to cover childcare. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"