Military Families

Tricare- POA question

Hi Ladies!

We are having our first kiddo at the beginning of October. My husband and I are going to get POA for me to enroll our boy or girl in DEERS if he is deployed when I give birth. Does it have to be a specific POA or is it just a general POA? I just want to have an idea before we go to get it.

Thanks! 

imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tricare- POA question

• Specific. Always get a specific. More and more places aren't accepting a general POA anymore(I ran into this with DH's credit card company). Get one that says you'll be able to enroll your LO and also to replace your ID card in the event it expires or is lost/stolen. JAG should have a ton of ideas/examples for specific POAs.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Thanks! I'll let my husband know. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • like a pp said you have to have a specific one... before hubs deployed we talked to legal ad made sure we had all the POAs we needed and the one for DEERs/TRICARE was  the one they kept making sure we had. Our JAG office had the forms for it already we just had to fill in names and a date for it to expire and get it notarized. I don't even have a general POA but a ton of very specific ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had to get a ton os POA's before hubby left.  Does your legal office have a briefing you can attend to see which ones you will need (here at Lejeune they did).  Other POA's I got (specific to hubby being gone and new baby) were I got a temporary guardianship POA  (incase something happened to me while hubby was gone it gives a specific person temporary guardianship until he is back), I also got a medical POA for myself (incase something were to happen during labor, it gave a specific person the legal rights to make medical decisions for me).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for the advice!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Specific, and get a 2 year one. When my husband leaves for anything we always get POA and we get like 5 or 6 of them to cover anything and everything. We also ask for 2 year ones instead of standard 1 year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • also helps to laminate them. 

This is what we usually get.

Deers/Tricare

Housing

start and stop allotments and access to my pay and finance on the base

We get them for our banks, specific ones with each banks name on them

Also general just for the heck of it.

We get one special for finance for selling and buying properties

Also anything with kids, its best to get one saying you can act as sole gaurdian and such and such. 

• imageMarnieMS:

also helps to laminate them. 

This is what we usually get.

Deers/Tricare

Housing

start and stop allotments and access to my pay and finance on the base

We get them for our banks, specific ones with each banks name on them

Also general just for the heck of it.

We get one special for finance for selling and buying properties

Also anything with kids, its best to get one saying you can act as sole gaurdian and such and such. 

This is a great list! I also want to get one to register cars in our new state. I'll tell that to H too.

Thanks! 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • You can get a general POA that lists specific things that you are allowed to do, but also allows you to do anything not specifically listed.  It's a good consideration so you don't have to get so many. So far, no one has turned down my general one with specifics in it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageArmyWife114:
    You can get a general POA that lists specific things that you are allowed to do, but also allows you to do anything not specifically listed.  It's a good consideration so you don't have to get so many. So far, no one has turned down my general one with specifics in it.

We took care of it last week. We only have two options. A general (which we did) and then certain specific ones (which we also did). There was no option for a general with things listed in it.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • That's odd, when we went to JAG we thought there was only the two options and the clerk recommended this to us.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"