Success after IF
Options

jewish moms - rules for baby names

If I'm naming my bean after my grandmother whose name was Frances, can I name my baby Frances, or do I have to change the name slightly?  Is it bad to use the same name as the deceased person?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: jewish moms - rules for baby names

• Options
    Take this with a grain of salt since I'm a non-practicing heathen, but from my understanding there's nothing wrong with using the actual name (as long as the person is deceased - that's where its considered a big no-no to name after someone, you shouldn't name someone after a living person), it's just the more general practice to use the first initial rather than the entire name I think? I could be way off though. We used Josephine for our daughter's middle name after my papa Joe (Joseph) which is practically the same and no one balked, they were all very touched.
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Options
    You can absolutely use the exact name. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that when you're naming for someone it's really the Hebrew name that counts, which can also be exact.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We gave DD my mom's name as her middle name. IT was important to me to use her name, not just the first initial. I say do what you want. As Schmoodle said, it's naming after a living family member that's considered a big no-no in the Jewish religion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just chiming in as another whose grandmother was Frances -- my older DD's middle name is Frances.  Not Jewish and not deceased in our case, but I was aware of the Jewish tradition and I knew it would be a no no if we were.  But thumbs up to your name choice and the connection! :)  Best wishes to you!!!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options

you definitely don't have to change the name- people just do it because often the deceased person's name is no longer in style.  my son asher is named after my husband's grandmother, whose name was alvida. there was no way we were going to name him alvin, which would have been closest.

i think to use the same name is the greatest compliment. my cousin's daughter is gertrude, named after her great-grandmother. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    you can use the same name.  No problem, in fact lots of people do it and it's looked good upon.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"