3rd Trimester

Upper abdominal pain, contractions or something else?

I have been experiencing this upper abdominal pain on and off for the last couple of days. Thought it was maybe my gallbladder... I went to the doc on Wed and she sent me to the hospital for contractions and to watch my blood pressure. After having contractions but no dilation (I'm already 3cm) they sent me home.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this pain in their upper abdomen and if so what was it? Contractions? Gallbladder? Or something else more serious like placental abruption?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Upper abdominal pain, contractions or something else?

• You are so close to giving birth that these might just be positive signs that you'll potentially be on time! As far as dilation though I believe you can be dilated for a while and that it isn't necessarily a sign of impending delivery ..but contractions are usually more of a sign to look for. If you went to the hospital and were sent home after being checked out I'd most likely just rest assured that they would have noticed a placental abruption and kept you in the hospital.
  • If you had a placental abruption I would have to assume you would have bleeding, especially since you're dialated. How has your BP been? My midwife said pain is a sign of pre-E.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLuvmy2sons:
    If you had a placental abruption I would have to assume you would have bleeding, especially since you're dialated. How has your BP been? My midwife said pain is a sign of pre-E.

This.  I would make sure your BP is okay.  I had pre-e and had upper abdominal pain that got worse and worse.  I would talk to your doc about this today.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • I was overnight in L&D last week due to extreme upper abdominal pain that radiated around to my back.  They did some tests to determine if it was something with my gall bladder or liver and these both came back normal.  It was determined that the pain was in fact contractions, but they were BH as they did not cause me to dialate.  I would certainly speak with your OB about this, but you may have something similar going on with painful BH contractions. Best wishes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks. My doc office is always closed on Fridays. We'll see how it goes. I know that if I take two tylenol the pain does go away. Maybe it's just painful BH.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"