Pregnant after IF

Constipation Cramps

I apologize in advance for the TMI...

I will start with I have been extremely constipated...at the advice of my OB I am taking citrucel and colace, though I just started the colace this week.Yesterday morning I had horrendous cramps. Like, made me stop and double over a bit. They came and went for about 45 minutes, then went away. I truly was just waiting for the blood to start gushing. Approx 30 minutes later, I had a very large BM (still a constipated one, if that makes sense.) After that, no more awful cramps. A few here and there, but usually connected to passing gas.

So, I am guessing (hoping) that the cramps were related to constipation, since they went away after my trip to the bathroom, and haven't come back since then. Anyone else experience bad cramps with constipation, and any remedies that worked, that aren't on the normal go-to list for constipation. (I actually stopped and picked up some prune juice last night...getting desperate. Ick!)

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
<a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view

Re: Constipation Cramps

• yes!

the constipation and cramps sucks and seem to be ever present for me :(

take the colace, up fluids and fiber, eat prunes and dried apricots and if you can stomach it drink prune juice.

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • I'm actually not constipated (kinda the opposite) but have been having horrible gas pains and stomach cramps off and on.  I've only had bad gas pains maybe once in my life until the last few weeks.  Now, it's every few days.  I get these terrible pains and then have the runs (yep, TMI).  I usually feel better after.

I was really constipated after my IVF and OHSS episode and Colace didn't touch it.  I used prune juice and it did the trick.  I hope you feel better soon!

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • oh and if you need to take more than 1 colace at a time.
    Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • I had some major problems a couple weeks ago, to the point that I actually went to my doctor becuase of them.  Oddly enough, I had taken colace for the first time that day and the cramps were really painful. I've since stopped taking the colace, and I haven't really had the issues.  I've just been trying to have lots of fiber and drink tons of water.  I have my days when it's successful and when it's not, but at least there's no horrible scary cramping!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Colace did nothing for me. I have been drinking prune juice every morning as soon as I get up. It has helped a LOT! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks you all for sharing. The cramps scared me yesterday, but the fact that there was no bleeding, and that it went away after I used the bathroom made me realize it's probable just the constipation. Never experienced it like that before though!I am definitely trying to increase my water intake...I am not very good at it!

And worms, I'll try some dried apricots-those actualy sound good. The prune juice I tried last night, it was worse than the herbs my acu had me on. I was only able to get down about half a glass. yuck! I did stare at the u/s pics on my fridge while I was doing it though, thinking that I so love my LO and will totally take this, if it means that one is still growing away in there! Big Smile

7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
  • Me!  My RE gave me Zofran and it made me extremely constipated.  My first time I seriously thought something was wrong because I was having such strong painful cramps for about an hour.  I don't take the Zofran anymore because the cramps freaked me out so much.  I hope the citrucl and colace start helping soon.
    Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh yes. I hate poop cramps. I've been eating a lot of pears to keep things moving.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• I've had cramps like you described once or twice.  I don't like taking extra meds, so I just make sure that I eat plenty of fruits & veggies every single day. I also add about 1-2 T of wheat bran to my breakfast granola.  GL!
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • imagejillychris:

Thanks you all for sharing. The cramps scared me yesterday, but the fact that there was no bleeding, and that it went away after I used the bathroom made me realize it's probable just the constipation. Never experienced it like that before though!I am definitely trying to increase my water intake...I am not very good at it!

And worms, I'll try some dried apricots-those actualy sound good. The prune juice I tried last night, it was worse than the herbs my acu had me on. I was only able to get down about half a glass. yuck! I did stare at the u/s pics on my fridge while I was doing it though, thinking that I so love my LO and will totally take this, if it means that one is still growing away in there! Big Smile

I found that plum juice tastes much better although I'm not really sure how it could taste that much different.  It does though!

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I still get the cramps I am 32 weeks pregnant and every morning I feel them and I freak out that they are the start of labor.  I go to the bathroom and the cramping stops. 
    *****PAIFW/ SAIFW***** Me 28 DH 28 MFI- told IVF only choice Me-Anovulatory, HSG-clear 3/11 IVF-1 converted to IUI due to 3 dominant follicles-BFN IVF 1.1 ER:6/28 27 eggs 17 fertilized ICSI ET:7/1 2: 8 cell embryos 15 frosties Beta: 7/12-BFN FET:3 day transfer 3 embryos BFP! Beta 10dp3=87 Beta 13dp3=301 Beta 17dp3=1776 Ultrasound 6weeks 3 days 1 hearbeat of 125bpm and a gestational sacBravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • imagehunterjumper102:
    Me!  My RE gave me Zofran and it made me extremely constipated.  My first time I seriously thought something was wrong because I was having such strong painful cramps for about an hour.  I don't take the Zofran anymore because the cramps freaked me out so much.  I hope the citrucl and colace start helping soon.

I'm still on zofran too, which I think is the main culprit. I was at the full dose of 4x a day, and am down to only once or twice...hoping I can soon stop completely which will help!

8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
  • This girl! Prune juice did nothing for me, so I too have been taking Colace, which has only helped a little. I may have to start taking it twice a day soon. Between this and the reflux, my digestive system has had enough! On those rare occassions (like once a week, if I'm lucky) that things re operating normally, I feel like a million bucks and actually weigh less when I step on the scale!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• imagejillychris:

Thanks you all for sharing. The cramps scared me yesterday, but the fact that there was no bleeding, and that it went away after I used the bathroom made me realize it's probable just the constipation. Never experienced it like that before though!I am definitely trying to increase my water intake...I am not very good at it!

Try mixing in a little apple juice or some lemon. That helps a LOT with the taste.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• I also eat oatmeal for my second breakfast (haha), and lots of fruit (plus veggies, though not as much) for my snacks throughout the day. I had some terrible, awful, no good very bad constipation after I spent a day in the ER and didn't eat anything that day - took me nearly a week to get back on track. I am so grateful for pooping regularly, let me tell you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was so bad one day, I was in the truck screaming. DH wanted to go to the ER. I told him just to get home so I could use the restroom. I really thought I was dying!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Constipation was a worse symptom for me than m/s.  I'd rather throw up than go through constipation.  Actually, I did throw up b/c of the constipation!

Colace didn't do much for me.  I've been taking two Metamucils every morning with my PNVs.  I take more during the day if I happen to eat foods that will stop me up or if I take any m/s pills (those cause constipation).

Hope it gets better for you!

Wedding Bio
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    Jeep Doll = Jeepie Doll
    April Siggy: April Shower with Gerard Butler mmmmmm
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ugh, I've had that too!  Sometimes it's constipation, sometimes it's gas.  Maalox helps sometimes.  I try to eat dried apricots every day.  If the prune juice is that bad, maybe just try eating prunes.  They really aren't that bad.  At least I don't think so.  GL, I hope you feel better soon. 
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Colace makes my stomach cramp, so I've stayed away. I do 2 things to help constipation. 1) sprinkle ground flaxseed on my cereal and yogurt 2) drink pear juice. The flaxseed will change your life, seriously! And pear juice can be found on the baby food aisle.
    TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"